• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Trust News Supporters Group Zoom Meeting - 7th October 2021

Too late for me to watch now but will give me something to watch tomorrow whilst "at work"

An interesting meeting with plenty of ups and downs. One of the main takeaways for me being that we'd expect to see increase of non-matchday income in the order of millions p.a. at FF.

Brown: "our budget is mid-table"

Ron: "our budget is top 4 in the National League"

Honestly don't know who to believe anymore.

Both Ron and Tom confirm the wage bill is about £1.4m per season. Anyone know what it was when in League 2?

Wow.....Ron well and truly lost his head towards the end there!
A good, very honest debate had by all. Ron clearly cares deeply about the club, but ultimately I still have no faith that he will make the right decisions going forward.
He was adamant that our dire reputation doesn't stop players wanting to sign for our football club. I'm certain however that in one of the previous zoom calls he reluctantly conceded that maybe the case?

Also rather worrying was his insistence that we have good players whose performance levels are being hampered by the atmosphere around Roots Hall (protests etc).
I know football can change very quickly, but he will seemingly continue to back Phil Brown with more funds and he thinks we have the right man in charge.
Here was me hoping that PB may soon be on his way with Ron handing over the reigns in the not too distant future. From what Ron said, the likelihood of either of those two things happening is remote.

25 minutes in.

Someone not understanding that spending more on wages indicates investment.

Someone vaping throughout.

Someone with a backdrop of a random football ground.

Looking forward to the rest.

He was adamant that our dire reputation doesn't stop players wanting to sign for our football club. I'm certain however that in one of the previous zoom calls he reluctantly conceded that maybe the case?
That was one thing he said on the call that I can't quite accept as true - though I guess negative reputation has a lot of causes rather than just financial concerns as the question specifically addressed.

I know the wider, long term issues are important - but surprised nobody raised a question about our current predicament. No mention on (before Tuesday) 1 win all season, on Browns comments from Tuesday about 'whos in charge', about the Akinola situaiton and if the mandate to play him came from Ron etc.

Might get some blowback on this too, but .... I get less and less impressed with Tom as the weeks go by. Has as many broken promises to do things as Ron does.

This "first 100 days" document he was working on was meant to show what he'd been looking into, now says he hasnt touched it for some 6 weeks, so probably wont be getting that.

The programme thing has been a disaster, although I appreciate the attempt to try something different.

But just lots of little things adding up that were promised or spoken as fact havent happend and its hard to see what, if any, influence he is having on the club as CEO.

Fans have been calling for a CEO for years and right now, not seen much of any differences.

Well, I just don't know what to think after that. At least Ron admitted he has made errors and apologised for them. The key to improvement though is learning from one's mistakes and perhaps that's why we are where we are.

What an embarrassing performance by the majority of the southend fansRon looked much better than the fans the whole way through actually came across empathetic most of it and I honestly believe he was honest and it is clear to see he cares about the club too.

These calls need a wider balance of diversity, age, jobs (to be able to ask proper questions about certain subjects etc) too. For example when someone challenges Ron on investment and doesn’t realise when this is over the budget additional investment is needed and provided. Yes Scott (think that’s his name) was one of the younger ones but lost his head rather than having a conversation even when Ron was giving answers. Because we didn’t have people on there who have a good understanding of business it allowed Ron to give a straight forward answer but not then challenge him further.

Heavy.

Well done to everyone that participated.

For anyone that says these meetings arent getting to the crux of the matter and pander to ron i suggest you watch.

Lot of passion, from the fans and ron. He doesnt help himself with his general manner, just feel its a bit out of touch with the modern way of conducting yourself.

To conclude i just hope we get to a point where we dont need these calls anymore. There is still a world where we get our stadium, ron makes some cash and we move up the leagues and back to where I think we should be and we just get back to winning some, losing some and no outrage.

Personally, I hope these calls never end. When things improve (on and off the field), I think these could become less regular (once every 2 or 3 months) as communicate and transparency between the club and fans will always be a great thing.

One thought, instead of hammering questions for the entire time, could we get Ron and Tom to do an update on what has happened since the last Zoom call. At the moment it seems like they are only answering questions and if we don't ask the right questions then we might not get the entire picture.

Also seems like some questions are being repeated such as the new stadium non-matchday income etc.

What an embarrassing performance by the majority of the southend fansRon looked much better than the fans the whole way through actually came across empathetic most of it and I honestly believe he was honest and it is clear to see he cares about the club too.

These calls need a wider balance of diversity, age, jobs (to be able to ask proper questions about certain subjects etc) too. For example when someone challenges Ron on investment and doesn’t realise when this is over the budget additional investment is needed and provided. Yes Scott (think that’s his name) was one of the younger ones but lost his head rather than having a conversation even when Ron was giving answers. Because we didn’t have people on there who have a good understanding of business it allowed Ron to give a straight forward answer but not then challenge him further.
I totally disagree. I thought all the supporters groups did well to keep their cool. In fact, there were occasions where they looked gobsmacked by his delusional comments. It was the same old smarmy answers with no substance from Ron.

Says he'll never get his money back ? Who will earn out of the 1,300 homes being built, if it's not SUFC ?
Possible £3m-£5m generated by the 1,000 seater banqueting hall ? lol....do me a favour. Not when we only get crowds of 3,000. We're a laughing stock, and nobody will want to attend an event there

Sounded to me like once that stadium is up and running, he's off. I don't believe a word that he cares about the club and is doing it in the clubs best interests etc. He only cares about it because he's invested time and possibly money into it...that's the only reason in my opinion.

..and to say it's his and our club is a joke. If it was OUR club he would have let the Trust have a seat on the board so that they were included in the decisions at board level.

Last edited:
I totally disagree. I thought all the supporters groups did well to keep their cool. In fact, there were occasions where they looked gobsmacked by his delusional comments. It was the same old smarmy answers with no substance from Ron.
Think you will find the problem is half the questions were the same thing just asked slightly differently for example match day income and will he sell the club. After being asked numerous times it’s not unusual for people to get fed up of the same thing being asked and giving the same answers each time.

What was actually achieved on tonight’s call? We found out Ron isn’t selling the club anytime soon which was already obvious. We found out he clearly loves the club and is passionate about it which let’s be honest if he didn’t and wasn’t then he would have gone a long time ago. We also found out that Ron is putting a lot of investment in to the club which again anyone who has any common sense would have already known he does on a weekly/monthly/yearly basis.

This whole 95% of fans not having confidence in him was bought up once maybe twice and very quickly moved on so what was the point of the poll?

Further to this if all the fans groups are together and they say they had no involvement in the protest action on Tuesday night who was doing that because let’s be honest they weren’t just ransoms on the pitch and as I mentioned before on another thread of fans want to be together they need to have the same goals and be together every step of the way. They can’t splinter off from the main group.

Further to this if all the fans groups are together and they say they had no involvement in the protest action on Tuesday night who was doing that because let’s be honest they weren’t just ransoms on the pitch and as I mentioned before on another thread of fans want to be together they need to have the same goals and be together every step of the way. They can’t splinter off from the main group.
we are all together. ie we want Ron out. Those responsible just decided to take their protest to another level. No different to a different supporter doing a lesser protest.

Back