• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supporters Group News Meeting 6/2/23 Zoom Call Recording

It's actually a step before talking.

It was an "expression of interest" in registering a phoenix club if SUFC were to be liquidated, and a request for information and support around how to do so if the time comes.

Note: "expression of interest" and "if".

If it comes to actually actively discussing or doing, I'm sure the Trust will ballot their members and I'm even more sure that a wide variety of supporters with relevant skills, experiences and contacts would be invited to contribute.

It can't really be talked about with any real direction if nobody knows anything about what might need to be done. The discussion if and when it is needed would need to be productive and efficient to move things along, so I'm struggling to see what's so controversial about doing some research so that some knowledge (rather than conjecture) could be brought to the table, should the discussion happen.

Ah the use of bold. Hope that makes you feel good and bonus points for your condescending reply.

I do understand the word if but I disagree that its a step before talking. It's actually the opposite. It's a definite action following a conversation.

I don't however agree that it's the right thing to do at the moment.

I don't agree that the people having this conversation about what happens IF club goes to the wall are the right people to do so.

If I heard the name correctly,the person who engaged Essex FA is the same person who called members of this board "whinging tossers" (the post is still up, I just checked)

I am deeply concerned about who would take roles in the new project should it happen.

Now, having caught myself getting worked up and appearing to be in a minority, I'll stop commenting about the trust ( I have actually just emailed asking to cancel my membership)

I support Southend United. We are in a sorry old state.

I'm just not sure the people potentially making decisions about what might be left of the club are the right people to do so, or even if they are asking the right questions.

Can someone confirm what constitutes to being a supporter group and allows the ability to have a rep at these meetings?
I answered this on another thread. Most of the groups represented are people who give up their time to provide a service for other fans. SZ run a forum. AAS write and produce a fanzine. Custard Splat produce a podcast. The Blue Voice has done tireless work to improve the atmosphere at Roots Hall. Blues on Tour run coaches, as do the Trust who are the representatives of the fans as a whole. These groups all have an audience they can communicate to, and have a responsibility to provide those fans with accurate information.

This group evolved out of the supporters' liaison groups that have been running for several years and met at Roots Hall regularly on a Monday night to talk about very dry subjects like the state of the West Stand toilets.

Over the years, various groups representing other groups of supporters have been added, such as exiled, disabled fans and Proud Shrimpers. The idea is to ensure that as many of our fans as possible have some sort of representation. There will of course be some fans who feel they are not represented but the aim is to avoid this.

Many of the organisations I know are crying out for new people to become involved to help and assist in the work they do.

Last edited:
Ah the use of bold. Hope that makes you feel good and bonus points for your condescending reply.

I do understand the word if but I disagree that its a step before talking. It's actually the opposite. It's a definite action following a conversation.

I don't agree that the people having this conversation about what happens IF club goes to the wall are the right people to do so.

If I heard the name correctly, the person who engaged Essex FA is the same person who called members of this board "whinging tossers" (the post is still up, I just checked)

I am deeply concerned about who would take roles in the new project should it happen.

Now, having caught myself getting worked up and appearing to be in a minority, I'll stop commenting about the trust ( I have actually just emailed asking to cancel my membership)

I'm just not sure the people potentially making decisions about what might be left of the club are the right people to do so, or even if they are asking the right questions.
My apologies, wasn't trying to be condescending, difficult to get across in type. I just find myself getting exasperated at questions that, as far as I could see, have been answered several times before.

I don't know how else to reassure you. No decisions of any consequence are being taken yet, so judge the people making the decisions of consequence when they are being made....not before the people to make those decisions have been chosen.

Contacting the Essex FA was indeed an action, based off of a 5-minute conversation where it was felt that we should acquire some knowledge of the process to impart to whoever does the leg work later if the worst happens. I'm all for democracy but I don't see the need for the Trust to ballot their members to ask whether they want the Trust to find out what the process for registering a new club entails. That's an unnecessary avalanche of red tape for an action of little-to-no tangible consequence, no?

The Trust, in my eyes, would begin balloting members when some actual decisions of consequence need to be made - i.e. "now that SUFC has died, here is the information we found out about how to register a phoenix club, do you think we should do it?" And then discussions can take place about who would officially be involved in the "doing" part, some elections held to fill roles which could theoretically be filled by anybody from our large fanbase rather than (as you seem to have convinced yourself) just the people from yesterday's meeting.

I'm not currently a Trust member myself but if you think the wrong questions are being asked, had you thought about contacting them as a member to ask them to pose what you think are the right questions on your behalf?

@Pale Blue Dot

Matty, I am sorry you feel this way. Let me begin by assuring you that it wasn't "2 or 3" people speaking for everyone, any decisions the Trust Board have had to make have been discussed and deliberated by all the Board members. Some undertakings haven't been unanimous, but a democratic consensus has approved decisions.

The Trust have instigated their Contingency plans should the worst happen. There is much to be done in preparation should that need arise and it is vital to engage with the relevant bodies and authorities for those first steps which, I think certainly most will hope, will not be necessary.

Having just watched this meeting in full, my overriding feeling is that, regardless, we must remain as a united front. ( Not the people’s front of Judea before anyone says that 😉) but a Southend United. The guy/girl standing/sitting next to you may not join in with the Martin out chants, and has the opinion that he/she wishes to support the team for the 90 minutes, and that should be fine, it doesn’t make them Rons puppet/supporter/lover, all of which have been suggested in past weeks.
Abusing fellow shrimpers fragments support and is IMO counter intuitive.

Having just watched this meeting in full, my overriding feeling is that, regardless, we must remain as a united front. ( Not the people’s front of Judea before anyone says that 😉) but a Southend United. The guy/girl standing/sitting next to you may not join in with the Martin out chants, and has the opinion that he/she wishes to support the team for the 90 minutes, and that should be fine, it doesn’t make them Rons puppet/supporter/lover, all of which have been suggested in past weeks.
Abusing fellow shrimpers fragments support and is IMO counter intuitive.
Absolutely. Some of the language used towards other posters and on social media has not really been helpful.

As Andy said on the call, there are loads of different opinions. It doesn't help that our situation is considerably more complex than say a Blackpool or an Orient. It invites a spectrum of different views and positions.

I know plenty of people who are fired up and ready for action. I know of a few who just want to focus on the football because frankly the off-field stuff upsets them. I know people who won't hear a word in praise of Ron Martin and I know people whose views are more nuanced and pragmatic. I don't know ANYONE who feels he is a worthy custodian of our club.

At the risk of sounding like Jerry Springer, it's time to take care of the language we use to each other. We've all been guilty of this, I suspect I have in the past. There are some posters I agree with and others who I don't, but all their views are valid. As Andy Walsh said, it's not necessary to all have the same view of what to do. It's just necessary to respect those different views.

I see Glenn Speller (BBC?) was on the video - was Chris Philips invited. Might be useful in keeping the local press on message

If I heard the name correctly,the person who engaged Essex FA is the same person who called members of this board "whinging tossers" (the post is still up, I just checked)

Hmm.

I would regard what is being done as a mixture of contingency planning and due diligence. Given the complexities involved in creating a phoenix club AND getting it into the pyramid, it's the very least I'd expect. Your club might get wound up on 1 March ; sitting around with your fingers crossed doesn't sound like much of an alternative.

I'm in no position to comment on the suitability of individuals for the task at hand. But I doubt very much that the people who are currently holding the baby wanted the job or have much experience in doing it. Instead of sniping, you could try helping.

I know these are proper fans but they need to be looking for new investors or buyers! Not interested in a phoenix club.

Can someone confirm what constitutes to being a supporter group and allows the ability to have a rep at these meetings?
Anything … for example

Southchurch blues (4 people) post under that and speak as though you are spokesman for a committee ( i along with other members of the southchurch blues will be meeting up prior to the game and sitting together ) you just don’t tell anyone it’s your kids and you’ll be getting McDonald’s together before the game

From what I gather that’s about it .. 2 guys who have a pod cast are an actual fan group too … I reckon you should set up

Southend fans and their pets association …

I along with Phoebe the rabbit and Jessica the cat will no longer be attending games until Ron Martin is removed

Hmm.

I would regard what is being done as a mixture of contingency planning and due diligence. Given the complexities involved in creating a phoenix club AND getting it into the pyramid, it's the very least I'd expect. Your club might get wound up on 1 March ; sitting around with your fingers crossed doesn't sound like much of an alternative.

I'm in no position to comment on the suitability of individuals for the task at hand. But I doubt very much that the people who are currently holding the baby wanted the job or have much experience in doing it. Instead of sniping, you could try helping.

Ah you've done it! I said I wouldn't comment again.

I don't expect you to have read all my posts (one point below has already been posted before) so I'll just say this.

I work in communications and conflict resolution ironicly enough, and did engage with the trust prior to things getting this bad with an offer to help if I could. (I extended a similar offer to Tom Lawerence)

Whilst Tom eventually stopped replying, the trust said I could help with some retro shirts ( not really my wheelhouse) not what I offered.

Now we reach the point where professional communications is essential from all sides and look where we are.

I'd have happily sat round a table and discussed contingencies ( I work in the NHS and as you can imagine, business continuity comes up a lot) only, I wasn't asked.

This isn't a woe is me, because unless you are on the board no one was asked.

There's been no newsletter sent. Whist i don't expect a definitive poll I do demand engagement from those who for years have rightly demanded it from our club.

I'm probably ****ing the wind and that's fine. I'm sad at whats happening and might happen. I'm also sad that at a time when the world and his wife are saying we should all come together, our fate if the worst happens is being discussed and planned right now without mine, yours or the majority of fans input.

You've had a little dig at me a couple of times this week and that's fine. Personally, I'm not digging at any individual. I am concerned by the apparent closed door nature of our supporters trust.

Ah you've done it! I said I wouldn't comment again.

I don't expect you to have read all my posts (one point below has already been posted before) so I'll just say this.

I work in communications and conflict resolution ironicly enough, and did engage with the trust prior to things getting this bad with an offer to help if I could. (I extended a similar offer to Tom Lawerence)

Whilst Tom eventually stopped replying, the trust said I could help with some retro shirts ( not really my wheelhouse) not what I offered.

Now we reach the point where professional communications is essential from all sides and look where we are.

I'd have happily sat round a table and discussed contingencies ( I work in the NHS and as you can imagine, business continuity comes up a lot) only, I wasn't asked.

This isn't a woe is me, because unless you are on the board no one was asked.

There's been no newsletter sent. Whist i don't expect a definitive poll I do demand engagement from those who for years have rightly demanded it from our club.

I'm probably ****ing the wind and that's fine. I'm sad at whats happening and might happen. I'm also sad that at a time when the world and his wife are saying we should all come together, our fate if the worst happens is being discussed and planned right now without mine, yours or the majority of fans input.

You've had a little dig at me a couple of times this week and that's fine. Personally, I'm not digging at any individual. I am concerned by the apparent closed door nature of our supporters trust.
I'm not digging at anyone, honestly. I don't know any of you. And thank you for the added context, I understand the point you are making a little better now. I just think blanket, sweeping condemnation of people doesn't help and doesn't make YOU look good.

Back