• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Really? I can't recall ever going to a ground where only antibac gel was offered.

Fundamentally, antibac gel isn't as effective as cleaning hands with soap and water and so it's pretty grim/troubling to hear the club going down this route. It'll make me think twice about spending longer at RH or consuming food.

You are clearly health concious, so if the cleanliness of your hands is the only thing stopping you from consuming food at roots hall, I presume you bring your own! The club won't be too fussed.

Really? I can't recall ever going to a ground where only antibac gel was offered.

Fundamentally, antibac gel isn't as effective as cleaning hands with soap and water and so it's pretty grim/troubling to hear the club going down this route. It'll make me think twice about spending longer at RH or consuming food.

The away stand toilets at Stevenage only have antibac gel and no running water.

With the problems we've had in recent years with water supply in the West, in particular, it was thought that this might be a more sanitary way. They have definitely introduced anti bac alongside the water in the West in the ladies, and I had been advised by Dave Jobson, that it would also be introduced in the gents over there. If you have the choice of a trickle of water or anti bac, then the anti bac is by far the easier choice.

The away stand toilets at Stevenage only have antibac gel and no running water.
Indeed, Stevenage and the old Barnet ground were the two that sprang immediately to mind, there have been others too.

With the problems we've had in recent years with water supply in the West, in particular, it was thought that this might be a more sanitary way. They have definitely introduced anti bac alongside the water in the West in the ladies, and I had been advised by Dave Jobson, that it would also be introduced in the gents over there. If you have the choice of a trickle of water or anti bac, then the anti bac is by far the easier choice.

Indeed, Stevenage and the old Barnet ground were the two that sprang immediately to mind, there have been others too.

This just further highlights the need for the new ground. I shall look forward to sanitising my hands at some point during a game. It will be better than nothing although I see we are talking future tense here, which means it ain't done yet? All will be revealed tomorrow no doubt.

That's why I mentioned it, I experienced exactly that at Sunderland. Might not be the best idea ever but no worse than say, oh I dunno, encouraging away fans to walk straight through the middle of home supporters with a belly full of beer.

How do they normally get from the Blue Boar to the away end, out of interest? I watch Southend away with a belly full of beer regularly and I have never felt the need to kick off with home fans on my journey to the ground. 99.9% of fans are the same. I imagine the police will take into account the route away fans will take to the Plough and ensure they are visible. That's all that will be needed. Anyway most issues normally happen after the match when tensions are running high, not before.

That'll teach me to ask a serious question. Perhaps if I'd focused on aftershave, shoeshines and antibacterial hand gel I'd have got a reply !

It's probably best to PM me if you want an answer from me. I don't read everything.....

The answer is "I don't know" and I love constitutions and the like.

From what I gathered there is an agenda, there is a chair (me, now) and there is a secretary. It was very informal and positive.

Ask me next time, and hopefully I'll be able to less vague.

How do they normally get from the Blue Boar to the away end, out of interest? I watch Southend away with a belly full of beer regularly and I have never felt the need to kick off with home fans on my journey to the ground. 99.9% of fans are the same. I imagine the police will take into account the route away fans will take to the Plough and ensure they are visible. That's all that will be needed. Anyway most issues normally happen after the match when tensions are running high, not before.

They go down Victoria Avenue to Fairfax Drive. Along there a bit straight into the North Bank.

Would you like being forced on a coach and marched into a ground when travelling away to a small third division club? No thanks. Those days are gone and rightly so.

For certain games I would have thought that it's still inevitable.

(Glad as I am that Millwall have gone up but not in our place obviously) I have to say that I was favourably impressed by some of their fans travelling independly that I saw,spoke to and gave directions to the ground to,in and around The Cricketers, before our 3-0 home defeat to them, 2 season's ago).

You're being silly here! They couldn't walk down Shakespeare-it's a one way street!Theyd have to go down Gainsborugh-one way in the right direction!
A more frequent danger in Shakespeare is the lunatics who try to drive up it ,through the crowds, immediately after the match finishes

Agreed.:thumbsup:

For certain games I would have thought that it's still inevitable.

(Glad as I am that Millwall have gone up but not in our place obviously) I have to say that I was favourably impressed by some of their fans travelling independly that I saw,spoke to and gave directions to the ground to,in and around The Cricketers, before our 3-0 home defeat to them, 2 season's ago).

Never had any issues at Millwall.

Brotherly love or not, I think he is making a fair point. There is a potential safety issue regarding where away fans can get a beer around Roots Hall, I would have thought recent threads have made this quite bloody obvious.
Away fans should be allowed to go where they want but we know that just can't happen. Southend is a poxy desert anyway but would go with OBL idea of a mobile trailer outside the North bank rather than a large crowd all coming out the Plough at same time walking straight into the home fans going into the West.
And by the way, 73.8% of all percentages are made up on the spot.

Brotherly love or not, I think he is making a fair point. There is a potential safety issue regarding where away fans can get a beer around Roots Hall, I would have thought recent threads have made this quite bloody obvious.
Away fans should be allowed to go where they want but we know that just can't happen. Southend is a poxy desert anyway but would go with OBL idea of a mobile trailer outside the North bank rather than a large crowd all coming out the Plough at same time walking straight into the home fans going into the West.
And by the way, 73.8% of all percentages are made up on the spot.

I thought .9. Live and learn.

I took the opportunity to have a check on the TV in the West Stand food area yesterday and it is no better than last season, I didn't get a chance to get along to the bar to check that one but I would imagine if one is still not up to scratch then the others won't be either.

Remind me how these meetings differ, other than in the attendees, from those Shrimpers Trust Liaison meetings, the minutes of which appear from time to time. Do you have different terms of reference and objectives ?

Hi Mick, these meetings differ from the Shrimpers Trust Liaison meetings in that those meetings are between the Trust and the Club and are, as I understand, relatively formal and structured.

The Supporters Forum is a bit more informal and representatives from all interested parties have a standing invite to attend, at the moment this includes the Trust, myself and now Lord Football (the new Chair, replacing McNasty) from this forum, Blue Voice, Travel Zone, Exiles (Mick currently takes informal minutes, which we publish on here), Disabled Supporters Group, All At Sea, Essex Police's Football Liaison Officer, Danny Macklin (SUFC Commercial), Dave Jobson as Stadium Manager and the Club CEO. Any one who hasn't attended for any reason sees a copy of the minutes to keep them informed of what's been raised and discussed.
The terms of reference are basically any issue that concerns any party in their perspective of trying to improve things for any and all that follow SUFC and to try and improve things as best we can; very loose, I grant, but I feel it is also a strength by the very nature of not being too restrictive.

I must admit that McNasty and myself went into the exercise with a slightly jaundiced view initially after previous experiences of such initiatives in the past but we determined to approach it with an open mind. At first we felt that although good intentions were being shown sometimes progress wasn't being made so the Forum decided that we needed a Chair and for some minutes to be taken to try and focus on issues.
Despite my initial thoughts I certainly feel that the Supporters Forum has worth in that we have been able to achieve some things, others, frustratingly, we haven't but at least we have been given reasons why. It has also been a positive move in that the various disparate supporters groups do now have direct contact with people like, as an example, the Police Football Liaison Officer. I don't think I'm breaking any confidences, or surprising anyone, when I say that some discussions have been, to put it politely, forthright; however all discussions and comments have been taken on board and listened to with respect on all sides.
All in all, I think it is very much a positive rather than a negative, we are seeing some traction on some issues, perhaps slower than some of us might like but Rome wasn't built in a day.

I also have to say thanks to Lord Football for coming onboard to replace McNasty, I'm afraid I rather dropped him in it because I thought I would be there with him last Wednesday but unfortunately I had to be in Derbyshire for the week.
He obviously found his feet as he attended and promptly got himself elected into the Chair!

I hope that explains it better.

I took the opportunity to have a check on the TV in the West Stand food area yesterday and it is no better than last season, I didn't get a chance to get along to the bar to check that one but I would imagine if one is still not up to scratch then the others won't be either.

Oh for the days when us paupers had to fiddle about with the indoor aerial to get sort of a picture. Are they still using indoor aerials in the West?

Hi Mick, these meetings differ from the Shrimpers Trust Liaison meetings in that those meetings are between the Trust and the Club and are, as I understand, relatively formal and structured.

The Supporters Forum is a bit more informal and representatives from all interested parties have a standing invite to attend, at the moment this includes the Trust, myself and now Lord Football (the new Chair, replacing McNasty) from this forum, Blue Voice, Travel Zone, Exiles (Mick currently takes informal minutes, which we publish on here), Disabled Supporters Group, All At Sea, Essex Police's Football Liaison Officer, Danny Macklin (SUFC Commercial), Dave Jobson as Stadium Manager and the Club CEO. Any one who hasn't attended for any reason sees a copy of the minutes to keep them informed of what's been raised and discussed.
The terms of reference are basically any issue that concerns any party in their perspective of trying to improve things for any and all that follow SUFC and to try and improve things as best we can; very loose, I grant, but I feel it is also a strength by the very nature of not being too restrictive.

I must admit that McNasty and myself went into the exercise with a slightly jaundiced view initially after previous experiences of such initiatives in the past but we determined to approach it with an open mind. At first we felt that although good intentions were being shown sometimes progress wasn't being made so the Forum decided that we needed a Chair and for some minutes to be taken to try and focus on issues.
Despite my initial thoughts I certainly feel that the Supporters Forum has worth in that we have been able to achieve some things, others, frustratingly, we haven't but at least we have been given reasons why. It has also been a positive move in that the various disparate supporters groups do now have direct contact with people like, as an example, the Police Football Liaison Officer. I don't think I'm breaking any confidences, or surprising anyone, when I say that some discussions have been, to put it politely, forthright; however all discussions and comments have been taken on board and listened to with respect on all sides.
All in all, I think it is very much a positive rather than a negative, we are seeing some traction on some issues, perhaps slower than some of us might like but Rome wasn't built in a day.

I also have to say thanks to Lord Football for coming onboard to replace McNasty, I'm afraid I rather dropped him in it because I thought I would be there with him last Wednesday but unfortunately I had to be in Derbyshire for the week.
He obviously found his feet as he attended and promptly got himself elected into the Chair!

It does; thank you.

I think that has summed up pretty well who we are and what we have been trying to achieve and will continue to do. Don't worry about 'Lord Football', he was welcomed aboard by all in attendance. I nominated him to chair our meetings as having known him for quite a while I was aware of his experience in this role. Mick (Exiles) has kindly agreed to continue to take the minutes.

Who's attending in this capacity at the moment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back