• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
So, with our summer dealings complete (for the moment) it is evident that we need a clear out.

We now have at least 30 players to choose from - HERE

When did we last have this many!?...

I would also suggest that we must have one of the biggest squads at this level.

With that in mind. Who would you deem surplus and what would you do with them?

I'll start...

Teddy Nesbitt (loan or sell)
James Stevens (loan)
George Smith (loan)
Merrick James-Lewis (loan, with re-call clause)
Alex Woodyard (loan or sell)

Harry Crawford (loan or sell)
Matt Paterson (loan or sell)
Kyle Asante (loan or sell)
Blair Sturrock (loan or sell)
N'diaye (Give him time, but possibly send back to Palace)

Last edited:
I'd say sturrock, crawford and patterson should be sold but npt loaned out. Isnt sturrock on a short term deal? If so, couldnt we just release him?

Nice to see we've already got this season's whipping boy lined up in N'diaye.

Who is "whipping" him?

Sturrock is obviously concerned. As he has already had a "chat" with him.

I've said give him time. But, if he does not improve then he should be sent back (maybe xmas) no?

Who is "whipping" him?

Sturrock is obviously concerned. As he has already had a "chat" with him.

I've said give him time. But, if he does not improve then he should be sent back (maybe xmas) no?

Fair enough and I know I've not seen him play, but it seems he's already a lot of stick on here over 4(?) pre-season games.

Fair enough and I know I've not seen him play, but it seems he's already a lot of stick on here over 4(?) pre-season games.

Yeah. I think the majority were expecting him to be a "star"

Unfortunately for whatever reason (Fitness, Ability, Confidence etc) it has not been the best of starts for the big lad. So far. As you rightly say, he has only had a handful of games, so we shouldn't judge him just yet.

But, he needs to improve dramatically and sharp, if he is to work his way into the team. I'd expect Luggy would of said similar to him.

Let's hope he takes the comments on board, livens himself up and provides another quality option for the team.

I can't quite believe the number of opur promising youngsters you seem to be happy to sell without them having a chance to prove themselves, we need to see if they can cut it.

Teddy Nesbitt Keep/Loan - Needs experience, 3 month loan at a BSP side. Could end up better cover for Gilbert than Prosser is.
James Stevens Loan- 6 months+ at BSP or BSS side.
George Smith Loan- 6 months+ at BSP or BSS side.
Merrick James-Lewis Keep/Loan - Provides cover for Hall/Johnson a short 2 month loan for experience
Alex Woodyard Loan- 6 months+ at BSP or BSS side.
Harry Crawford
Loan/Sell - He's never set the world alight, loan to a low lg2 / high BSP side for 6 months with view to sale. That way if he does turn into a star we can get him back.
Matt Paterson Sell, Sell, Sell! We desperately need him off the wage bill
Kyle Asante Keep/Loan - Offers us something different, maybe a short term loan 1-2 months for experience.
Blair Sturrock
Keep - We need back up to the injury prone Corr & Dickinson & warhorse Harris.
N'diaye Keep - Ludicrous to even be talking about sending him back at this point. Give the bloke a chance!

I'd also add Grant to this list though, we've got plenty of cover for CM. He deserves his move to a bigger side, and his contract will be up next summer, so we should cash in now.

I think Paterson should definitely be offloaded, as Sturrock clearly doesn't have faith in him - hopefully someone will take him. Up front I think we should loan out Crawford and keep Asante as a pacy back-up striker, and keep Sturrock as long as he's on relatively low wages because I think he's a useful option to have. Other than that I could see a CM moving, because as well as Grant/Ferdinand/Kalala/Sawyer/N'Diaye we also have a few promising young players who can play there. IMO though we should definitely try to keep hold of Grant and Ferdinand, unless we receive a really big offer for one of them

I think you will find Kane Ferdinand will probably be Sold. As much as we dont want it, it's innevitable.

Teddy Nesbitt - loan
James Stevens -loan
George Smith - loan

Merrick James-Lewis - loan, with re-call clause - but well worth having on the bench
Alex Woodyard - loan

Harry Crawford sell - but he utter dog **** so no one will want him
Matt Paterson - sell, needed more game time through pre season
Kyle Asante loan - but impressed in pre season well worth a seat on the bench
Blair Sturrock - not sure
N'diaye - seeing as we have to have him until Jan, not much we can do

But I heard the Braintree game was set up for Braintree to take a look at some of our younger players to take on loan, how true I do not know

Nesbitt - Loan, I'm not sure he'd be trusted even in an injury crisis. Last year when PG was out Barker, Hall or even that sack of **** Prosser were preferred to Nesbitt...would like to see more of him though.

Stevens - Haven't seen much of him tbh - would suggest loan unless someone knows otherwise.

Smith - looks promising, but would probably improve with a few months being kicked around by the neanderthals in the Conference South.

MJL - I'd keep him around, he may be closer to the first team this year, particularly if one or two others move on. I haven't seen much of him, but he's shown more than Sawyer in pre-season. Let's not forget how Ferdinand took to the deep end. He looks to have something about him and I'd rather see him given a run out for a few games then somone like Kalala just coming in to plod around for a season then move on.

Woodyard - Doesn't appear to have come on as hoped. Loan with regular games would maybe help but wouldn't be missed if he moved on.

Crawford - There's something I quite like about Crawford, but he's had chances and doesnt look good enough. As B&S says can't see anyone buying him, so free transfer seems best we can hope for. (to someone who hasn't seen him play).

Paterson - We need to get rid, no-one's going to buy (or even take him on a free on his current wages). Personally I'm hoping for him to be abducted by aliens.

Asante - I'd keep him, he seems versatile can play wide or up top - as long as he doesn't mind getting splinters in his arse.

Sturrock - As above - can't see him going anywhere

N'Diaye - havn't seen him play - if our current crop stay, can't see how we need him. Maybe required if there are outgoings.

People saying Crawford isn't good enough, he has had limited chances but when he had a proper start he scored 2, what more can he really do?

Paterson - Sell
Crawford - Sell
Asante - Loan
Nesbitt - Loan
Stevens - Loan
Woodyard - Loan

I'd even go as far to say loan out Lee Sawyer, hasn't done a lot in pre season and has only really played in the games it's been 'A Southend 11'. He does seem to have improved his attitude but we've seen his best form and he's far from that at the moment.

Teddy Nesbitt (loan)
James Stevens (loan)
George Smith (loan)
Merrick James-Lewis (loan, with re-call clause)
Alex Woodyard (loan or sell)

Harry Crawford (Loan/sell)
Matt Paterson (loan/ sell)
Kyle Asante (loan or sell)
Blair Sturrock (Get rid)
N'diaye (Give him time and if no improvement return to sender)

Paterson and Blair I dont think will get much of a look in.

Crawford I am not a fan of either so I wouldnt be sad to see him go. Try's hard but I dont think he is ever going to score enough goals.

Harsh to sell any of the kids that havent started a game yet. Get em out on loan and lets review in a year.

Get rid of Paterson and Crawford. The yoofs need to go out on loan.

I like Paterson but it's clear that it's best for both parties if he moves. I also think if we get a good offer (over 200k) for Ferdinand we should sell. We have a lot of midfielders and I can't help but thinking that if we've signed Kalala, another CM, and Dickinson, who must be on a decent wage, that either Ferdinand or Grant could be leaving. And out of them I'd rather keep Grant. I'd loan out all the youngsters (inc. Crawford) except Asante and Nesbitt. Asante as a young, pacey back-up striker, good sub, and Nesbitt as reserve left-back. I haven't seen much of Gilbert but haven't been impressed by what I have seen and I'd rather have Barker and Prosser in the middle. I'd also sell either Crawford or Sturrock if we got a decent offer for either of them, although I'd like to see more of Crawford before judging. Goodness me, we're spoilt for choice... what a contrast to last summer!

I like Paterson but it's clear that it's best for both parties if he moves. I also think if we get a good offer (over 200k) for Ferdinand we should sell. We have a lot of midfielders and I can't help but thinking that if we've signed Kalala, another CM, and Dickinson, who must be on a decent wage, that either Ferdinand or Grant could be leaving. And out of them I'd rather keep Grant. I'd loan out all the youngsters (inc. Crawford) except Asante and Nesbitt. Asante as a young, pacey back-up striker, good sub, and Nesbitt as reserve left-back. I haven't seen much of Gilbert but haven't been impressed by what I have seen and I'd rather have Barker and Prosser in the middle. I'd also sell either Crawford or Sturrock if we got a decent offer for either of them, although I'd like to see more of Crawford before judging. Goodness me, we're spoilt for choice... what a contrast to last summer!

I admire your optimism, but that is really not going to happen. Sturrock presumably would not command a fee in any case even if one of the big boys did come knocking.

Realistically we are not going to get a fee for anyone we want rid of...free transfer is going to be best we can hope for.

Teddy Nesbitt - Loan
James Stevens - LoanGeorge Smith - Loan
Merrick James-Lewis -
Loan with recall clause
Alex Woodyard -
Loan
Harry Crawford - Loan/Keep
Matt Paterson - Sell
Kyle Asante - Loan
Blair Sturrock - Keep
N'diaye -
Keep