• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Suspended 3 point deduction and a £7,500 fine

An independent Disciplinary Commission has determined that Southend United are to be given a suspended three point penalty and fined £7,500 for breaches of EFL Regulations.

The Club was referred to an independent Disciplinary Commission for paying some players late on the applicable payment due dates in December 2019 and February 2020.

The Commission also considered an additional charge relating to the fielding of an ineligible player in the Sky Bet League One match against Lincoln City FC on 1 February 2020.

The Club accepted the charges and submitted arguments in mitigation to explain the specific circumstances which led to the breaches occurring. The Disciplinary Commission accepted these arguments and in reaching its decision noted in particular the Club’s previously “unblemished” disciplinary record.

The deduction of three points has been suspended for the remainder of the 2019/20 season and the first six months of 2020/21, and will only come into effect upon the Club being found to have committed (or admitted) any further breaches.

In addition, the Club will be responsible for payment of the legal costs related to this hearing.

Who was the ineligible player against Lincoln?

Believed tobe Miles Michell-Nelson,apparentñly.

<Blues were also charged for fielding an ineligible player, believed to be Miles Mitchell-Nelson, in their 2-1 win against Lincoln City at the start of February. <

Pathetic really. I know companies make mistakes, but companies that continue to make mistakes generally go out of business as they lose customers or change their staff to stop the mistakes happening.
I wonder which way we'll go......

An independent Disciplinary Commission has determined that Southend United are to be given a suspended three point penalty and fined £7,500 for breaches of EFL Regulations.

The Club was referred to an independent Disciplinary Commission for paying some players late on the applicable payment due dates in December 2019 and February 2020.

The Commission also considered an additional charge relating to the fielding of an ineligible player in the Sky Bet League One match against Lincoln City FC on 1 February 2020.

The Club accepted the charges and submitted arguments in mitigation to explain the specific circumstances which led to the breaches occurring. The Disciplinary Commission accepted these arguments and in reaching its decision noted in particular the Club’s previously “unblemished” disciplinary record.

The deduction of three points has been suspended for the remainder of the 2019/20 season and the first six months of 2020/21, and will only come into effect upon the Club being found to have committed (or admitted) any further breaches.

In addition, the Club will be responsible for payment of the legal costs related to this hearing.

If there was a points deduction involved the best case scenario would have been for a points deduction for the current season when it didn't matter, which is actually what the league argued for. We've now got a 3 point deduction hanging over us for when we're late with wages next season, when our finances were already ****ed even before coronavirus ****ed football's finances.

I advise full reading of the document- very enlightening and will avoid any wrong assumptions

On my part I have argued that a points deduction for non payment of players was currently not a sanction. I was not correct as in the ruling it suggests part of the points penalties for Bolton and Macclesfield did indeed relate to non-payment. The threshold was however persistent and deliberate non payment associated with financial mismanagement.

The ruling points out these were the first charges brought for a financial breach in the 22 years Ron has been chairman.

Contrary to what was suggested at the time the club unlike others took no loans from the PFA or EFL and settled the wages in on the following 10 and 18/19 days respectively

Many will be shocked no doubt by many of the independent panels positive comments regarding how well the club is run financially.

I thought the points deduction was likely if not pretty much nailed on for the unregistered player- but just s small fine.

As you would expect the EFL’s judgement about what is far and appropriate was dismissed as unfair and disproportionate.

Read the whole thing- if you believed before hand the EFL were a shocking shower not a lot will change your view. BTW bit of a glaring error in there- it says we have 21 points to play for its 27 (maybe the EFL just arrogantly assuming their 6 point reduction would be agreed with? we have 9 games to play?).

The interesting thing now is the the EFL seem to think paying late for cash flow should be a points deduction- this month and next a number of EFL clubs will be late with wages- the EFL will by their own weak arguments in this case be needing to bring misconduct charges in all cases. No doubt they would like to see many clubs having deductions or starting on a minus points total. Will they act consistently and with integrity or will they face all ways again.

For those worried about the suspended points deduction perhaps the fact that this is it now appears the only time in the last 22 years we have actually been late with wages, and given the recapitalisation of the club going forward, I would suggest their are many other clubs who will be more at risk than us.

As I say do take the time to read it in full- it is worth it.

PS it was Mitchell-Nelson (19 year old loaned to Harlow Town)

Last edited:
If there was a points deduction involved the best case scenario would have been for a points deduction for the current season when it didn't matter, which is actually what the league argued for. We've now got a 3 point deduction hanging over us for when we're late with wages next season, when our finances were already ****ed even before coronavirus ****ed football's finances.
Am I being overly optimistic thinking this might actually lead to us paying players on time, there can't be a bigger incentive to do so than this?

I advise full reading of the document- very enlightening and will avoid any wrong assumptions

On my part I have argued that a points deduction for non payment of players was currently not a sanction. I was not correct as in the ruling it suggests part of the points penalties for Bolton and Macclesfield did indeed relate to non-payment. The threshold was however persistent and deliberate non payment associated with financial mismanagement.

The ruling points out these were the first charges brought for a financial breach in the 22 years Ron has been chairman.

Contrary to what was suggested at the time the club unlike others took no loans from the PFA or EFL and settled the wages in on the following 10 and 18/19 days respectively

Many will be shocked no doubt by many of the independent panels positive comments regarding how well the club is run financially.

I thought the points deduction was likely if not pretty much nailed on for the unregistered player- but just s small fine.

As you would expect the EFL’s judgement about what is far and appropriate was dismissed as unfair and disproportionate.

Read the whole thing- if you believed before hand the EFL were a shocking shower not a lot will change your view. BTW bit of a glaring error in there- it says we have 21 points to play for its 27 (maybe the EFL just arrogantly assuming their 6 point reduction would be agreed with? we have 9 games to play?).

The interesting thing now is the the EFL seem to think paying late for cash flow should be a points deduction- this month and next a number of EFL clubs will be late with wages- the EFL will by their own weak arguments in this case be needing to bring misconduct charges in all cases. No doubt they would like to see many clubs having deductions or starting on a minus points total. Will they act consistently and with integrity or will they face all ways again.

For those worried about the suspended points deduction perhaps the fact that this is it now appears the only time in the last 22 years we have actually been late with wages, and given the recapitalisation of the club going forward, I would suggest their are many other clubs who will be more at risk than us.

If indeed other clubs are late paying players then that can only work in our favour - the equivalent of a whole class handing in their homework late so to speak.

Not that I'd advocate using it but the fact we haven't borrowed from the PFA or EFL yet probably gives us a bit of wriggle room too as the wording suggests it's an option going forward.

It does all reinforce my belief that RM had as good as sold out in his mind and this was mild panic recalibration - compounded by a deal alongside the council rather than just seeking permissions from them, and the new investments that brings

Am I being overly optimistic thinking this might actually lead to us paying players on time, there can't be a bigger incentive to do so than this?

Yes. We were late paying because we weren't able to, not because we didn't want to.

It will hurt us in recruitment as not only will it mean we're less attractive to join because we pay late but because a points deduction will make us less competitive. The only saving grace is that it's only for 6 months of next season, when it's the second half we usually struggle with.

Does mention something about any case the EFL may bring in relation to (March 2020 not sure what thats about) will not count for the purpose of the suspended points penalty

For those worried about the suspended points deduction perhaps the fact that this is it now appears the only time in the last 22 years we have actually been late with wages

I know the 2009/10 season seems a long time ago, but we can’t just pretend it didn’t happen..... as it appears the Disciplinary Commission have done.

Skin of our teeth situation, again, although we’re not out of the woods yet though.

I know this rather a daft question but is it a point deduction from this or next season?

Back