• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sven Goran Eriksson at the World Cup

Well, if he can knock out one of Brazil or Portugal that'd be hugely beneficial to us.

More to the point, he's been promised £1.7 million to win it - in a country where the average wage is £3 a week and male life expectancy is 41 years because of rife poverty.
Sometimes football sickens me.

More to the point, he's been promised £1.7 million to win it - in a country where the average wage is £3 a week and male life expectancy is 41 years because of rife poverty.
Sometimes football sickens me.

If he wins the competition, the Ivory Coast will make far, far more than £1.7million from the exposure.

Will it? How, exactly? More to the point, where will the money will go...where? New hospitals? Schools? I doubt it!

Will it? How, exactly? More to the point, where will the money will go...where? New hospitals? Schools? I doubt it!

I didn't say it would go to Hospitals or Schools and, in the same vein, money won't be detracted from Hospitals or Schools to pay Sven's wages.

Fact of the matter is that, in the Ivory Coast, Football is huge business. If the Ivorian FA feel that spending that amount of money on hiring Sven for the World Cup, and it brings them success, then the country will see a huge increase in participation, exposure and turnover from the likes of sponsorship opportunities, official merchandise etc etc.

...but none of that feeds hungry children. VERY hungry children of, maybe 18 months old.

And none of the £1.7m Sven will pocket if they win the World Cup would have done, either...

But that's like criticising our FA's spending, which is far more exorbitant than the Ivorian's, while unemployment levels are rapidly increasing in this country.

Their FA, much like ours, has a budget to work within and has no effect, detrimental or otherwise, on starvation/poverty.

Former England manager Sven Goran Eriksson has been given the job of taking charge of Ivory Coast at this year's World Cup. They are in a group with Brazil, Portugal and North Korea.

Sky Sports

Wow, considering how he almost destroyed the Mexican national team (not that minded) I almost wish the US was in a group with Ivory Coast.

ESB I agree with you. The imbalanced distribution of wealth throughout the world is moraaly wrong.

Back