• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sweden vs England 15:00hrs Saturday 7th July 2018

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
I think I've more or less finished the emotional adrenaline ride of last night, probably!! Anyway, a Quarter final game against Sweden awaits us this Saturday. (Christ, who would have really thought it at the start of this World cup?).

Whack down your thoughts, opinions, selections, formations here as we watch England mania now take off in the UK, I thought about offering up a team selection but I doubt Mr Southgate would take too much notice of my views so I'll leave it to the experts.

Roll on Saturday I can't wait.

Admission time - I forgot to wear my 2002 lucky red England away shirt against Belgium and look what happened. I won't do that again in this tournament.

Lusig (RB) is gone.

So presume we will attack down the left flank.

But who?.......please don't say Rose, Sterling or Ali.........All poor so far.

I think we should go all out, with guns blazing!!.. Kane / Rashford / Vardy

No need to make a change in defense.

Last edited:
A Sweden without Zlatan against England is a beatable Sweden for me. I didn’t think they looked all that against Denmark. I think GS will be leading us to the semis.

Yes Sweden were dire vs the Swiss. Nothing to fear.

We need to be more clinical upfront IMHO and sometime the passing from the back gets on my tits when the clock is ticking down. I'd drop Sterling & Alli. Who else do we have as a striker? Vardy looks useless.

I wouldn’t drop anyone, unless they are carrying a knock. Sterling and Alli are excellent players who we need to play into form. Sterling just needs a goal. It’ll come

I feel like Sterling just needs a goal, but it never seems to work for the kid in an England shirt. I would be inclined to push Alli into his role and play Loftus-Cheek.

Then when we are 3-0 up bring on Sterling!

Its coming home!!

Lusig (RB) is gone.

So presume we will attack down the left flank.

But who?.......please don't say Rose, Sterling or Ali.........All poor so far.

I think we should go all out, with guns blazing!!.. Kane / Rashford / Vardy

No need to make a change in defense.

We again looked a much better team with Sterling up front than we did with Vardy.

Vardy's world cup:

27 minutes v Panama, during which England lost 1-0
90 minutes v Belgium, during which England lost 1-0
2 minutes v Colombia plus extra time, during which England lost 1-0,

That's 149 minutes with him in the side during which England haven't scored but have conceded in all 3 matches. Without him in the side England have scored 9 goals in 241 minutes, or a goal every 27 minutes. If we need fresh legs up front then Rashford and Welbeck are much better options, but I'd keep the same starting XI and just use the sub bench better.

Thought it was interesting yesterday that as soon as Vardy came on,Kane dropped into an advanced midield role, thus depriving England of their best striker in the box for the whole of ET.

Vardy will be on the bench on Saturday.Much as I like him in the Prem,he's not an international player.

We again looked a much better team with Sterling up front than we did with Vardy.

Vardy's world cup:

27 minutes v Panama, during which England lost 1-0
90 minutes v Belgium, during which England lost 1-0
2 minutes v Colombia plus extra time, during which England lost 1-0,

That's 149 minutes with him in the side during which England haven't scored but have conceded in all 3 matches. Without him in the side England have scored 9 goals in 241 minutes, or a goal every 27 minutes. If we need fresh legs up front then Rashford and Welbeck are much better options, but I'd keep the same starting XI and just use the sub bench better.
I think your stats are a bit harsh on the Vardy front Yorkie. Are you saying that he caused us to lose, is just a jonah in your view, or something else?

I think your stats are a bit harsh on the Vardy front Yorkie. Are you saying that he caused us to lose, is just a jonah in your view, or something else?

I’d also add that quite clearly he is an international footballer - he plays international football for us. There are stronger international footballers but he is in our squad on merit and he’s capable of contributing to the cause.

Totally agree. There’s the old saying “there are lies, damn lies and statistics.” You can make a statistic to back up any theory but it doesn’t mean there’s any real deeper meaning to it.

Vardy has either come on very late in games or started in a severely weakened side. Very harsh to make him a scape-goat. I actually thought he did ok against Belgium. He was chasing lost causes and winning the ball back high up the pitch creating chances for Rashford.

Last night was also the perfect time to bring him on because Columbia were pushing forward for an equaliser and leaving space in behind which is where Jamie Vardy has made his name by exploiting.

For me, Sterling, Alli and Lingard all need to be contributing far more and are under more pressure than Vardy.

I'm saying that England are a far less effective team with him there. Maybe he'd suit some teams, but he's not a good fit for the way England play. The likes of Sterling, Kane, Alli, Lingard and from the bench Rashford and Welbeck thrive on the quick interplay and movement. Vardy is simply not in their class and England are weaker for his inclusion.

I'm saying that England are a far less effective team with him there. Maybe he'd suit some teams, but he's not a good fit for the way England play. The likes of Sterling, Kane, Alli, Lingard and from the bench Rashford and Welbeck thrive on the quick interplay and movement. Vardy is simply not in their class and England are weaker for his inclusion.
Valid points, but I think he definitely has a case for inclusion on the bench. His pace being his main asset.

last night the atmosphere was unreal in the pub, hoping for more of that Saturday. All about the atmosphere for me this summer so won't be watching at home

Back