• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cockle43

Manager⭐
(Was) Back home on the North Bank now back in W.
Afraid last night, apart from the obvious sweet taste of victory, had a little bit of a sour side to it for me, albeit well after the game.

When we got home my son told me that he'd confronted one of our fans who had started calling Macc's Sinclair the N word during the game and was then verbally abused for doing so, apparently those around my son then backed him up and told the perpetrator to 'shut the **** up'.

I'm proud that my son did what he did and I would like to say thanks to those around him who backed him up.
As my son said we've worked hard to try and kick racism out of football and that's where it should stay; kicked out.

I am saddened that racist abuse is still considered OK by some of our crowd and would appeal to anyone to leave it outside the ground in future; such abuse does not belong in our game and I have no wish for it to be associated with SUFC, or with me as a Shrimper.

I know there was a fair bit of banter going on between the West and Sinclair last night and he gave as good as he got by scoring their goal but racist comments should have no part of that.

If Sinclair should read this, unlikely, I know, and he heard the comment then I would like to offer him an apology from those of us who are not bigots and would also like to extend that apology to the Macclesfield fans who travelled a long way to support their team and do not deserve to hear one of their players abused in such a manner.

I would like to think that I will never hear it again.

Most of the comments I heard ranged from 'mug' to '****', I didn't hear any racial abuse myself.

Racism is out of order, 99.9% of people realise that, and anyway surely you get more satisfaction by calling somebody a '****' ?

A few ****** signs back to the crowd and a middle finger or two from Sinclair, can't blame him for doing it back, but he shouldn't be doing it. Although when you are being abused then it's hard to not give it a little back.

That's what we should be doing, abusing the away players, not our own. Which for some crazy reason I heard a few very harsh comments towards Blair who was outstanding!

Last edited:
Must admit that I didn't hear it myself but I was a bit away from my son. Having said that I have no reason to doubt what he told me.

The gestures from Sinclair and the banter from the West I have no problem with, football is supposed to be played by men and if you give the oppo an ear bashing you should expect a bit back. Must say that's been one of the plus points to moving to the front of W, I'd forgotten how good a bit of verbals with the oppo could be.

I also thought the comments to Blair were crazy although he was grinning and almost seemed to be enjoying it, perhaps it's become a personal joke between him and the guy in the crowd; it almost felt that way as I thought Blair played really well last night.

At the risk of sounding racist, I thought this was going to be a thread about one of my favourite take-aways. :unsure:

However, it was refreshing to hear that your lad confronted the neanderthal and that people nearby also told the miscreant to button it. Well played to him and them. :clap:

That's what we should be doing, abusing the away players

.... or you could just try enjoying the sport of football without abusing anyone !!!!!

(with the possible exception of Saturday, when you should feel free to abuse the referee!!)

...... only joking, Trevor !

Last edited:
Props to your Son for speaking up. People will say things and do things if they think that they will be tolerated by others so it's good that this individual was told in no uncertain terms that that sort of behaviour would not be tolerated.

This Club would have been a far worse place without some of the great black players we've had over the years.

Props to your Son for speaking up. People will say things and do things if they think that they will be tolerated by others so it's good that this individual was told in no uncertain terms that that sort of behaviour would not be tolerated.

This Club would have been a far worse place without some of the great black players we've had over the years.

absolutely. Big up your son Cockle43... it is everyone's responsibility that these idiots aren't allowed to get away with any racist abuse

Where I sit in a small section of the East Blacks reserved for casualties from the acid house era (a lesser known policy introduced by Vic Jobson back in 89) you never hear anything but mellow vibes. In fact last night the most common shout was simply to 'love your brother, man'. What astounded me was when Shaun Clohessy turned round and said 'you know what man, you're right- all this fighting, all these wars, it' s just bullsh*t,'.

Afraid last night, apart from the obvious sweet taste of victory, had a little bit of a sour side to it for me, albeit well after the game.

When we got home my son told me that he'd confronted one of our fans who had started calling Macc's Sinclair the N word during the game and was then verbally abused for doing so, apparently those around my son then backed him up and told the perpetrator to 'shut the **** up'.

I'm proud that my son did what he did and I would like to say thanks to those around him who backed him up.
As my son said we've worked hard to try and kick racism out of football and that's where it should stay; kicked out.

I am saddened that racist abuse is still considered OK by some of our crowd and would appeal to anyone to leave it outside the ground in future; such abuse does not belong in our game and I have no wish for it to be associated with SUFC, or with me as a Shrimper.

I know there was a fair bit of banter going on between the West and Sinclair last night and he gave as good as he got by scoring their goal but racist comments should have no part of that.

If Sinclair should read this, unlikely, I know, and he heard the comment then I would like to offer him an apology from those of us who are not bigots and would also like to extend that apology to the Macclesfield fans who travelled a long way to support their team and do not deserve to hear one of their players abused in such a manner.

I would like to think that I will never hear it again.

Ahhh you are Tevor MIFFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would it have been a far worse place? you never know we could have purchased white players that did even better? or worse? who is to say!

One thing is for sure that we have had some very good players from other races

Why would it have been a far worse place? you never know we could have purchased white players that did even better? or worse? who is to say!

Count yourself lucky you were too young to have seen Chris Ramsey! :Scared2:

At the risk of being controversial, I'd suggest it unlikely that Christian Hyslop would have done better than Chris Powell.

Which white players could we have got who would have been as good as Stan Collymore, Ricky Otto and Chris Powell?

I understand your point but the fact is that anyone who has been a Southend fan for a few years will have been lucky enough to see some extremely talented black footballers play for this Club.

You never know Powell may have over shadowed!

I would politely suggest that this would be unlikely, given that Chris Powell was demonstrably the best left-back in England and when he did relinquish that title, it was to another black player.

Back