• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sweets that make your mouth water

There is a sweet shop down the southern end of Sutton Road (next to the Corals), which sells quarters of sweets, and is still open! yumyumyum

Heres a good list...

Amazin' Raisin bar - (cockney pie and mash type song) "Its amazin' what raisins can do/All that goodness and its all fo' you/You just 'ave ta do what ya gotta do/It's amazin' what raisins can dooooooooo... Oi!" Cadbury concoction of raisins and chewy stuff and rum. Yes, rum! 0% proof.
Aztec - Cadbury's incorrect, raisin-addled answer to the Mars bar - a simple concept that didn't last. Adverts filmed on location on an Aztec pyramid. Revived, all wrongly, of course - as the limited edition Aztec 2000 for a (very) brief period.
Bandit - bog-standard wafer biscuit with Bill Oddie 'gringo' advert. "You can't stand it with Bandit/Get your head off the floor/Great big bar Bandit is as big as a door!" Or something.
Bar 6 - Similar to Kit-Kats. Rather dull. The kind of confectionery product only ever to be found in workplace vending machines and canteens, along with ("Bridge that gap with...") Cadbury's Snack.
Blue Riband - As with Bandit, a dull, dull chocolate wafer, this time with Mike "Mr. Spooner" Berry warbling the tuneless song until distressed wife hands equally ****ed-off son the bar in question to take to Dad and get him to shut the **** up. Altogether - "I got those, can't get enough of those Blue Riband blues/Blue Riband's the milk chocolate wafer biscuit I always choose/When my woman treats me right/She buys me Blue Riband wafer biscuits crisp and light/I got those, can't get enough of those Bluuuuue... oh, thank you!"
Bone Shakers - bone shaped chalky candy pieces that came in different coloured coffin shaped plastic boxes. The sweets were tastless, but the coffins were ace.
Cabana - Cadbury concoction of the sick-making variety. Coconut, caramel and whole cherries encased in milk chocolate - oorgh, no more for me, thanks. Lasted for about a year in the early '80s. Ads, as with Trio, featured the Banana Boat Song, replacing "Day-o!" with "Cabaaaa-na!" to little marketing effect.
Cello - A sort of nutty Milky Bar which didn't take.
Football ground sweets - When I was much younger, my dad used to drag me to see Partick Thistle. At dull moments - of which there were many - you could buy strange confectionery from vendors with boxes strolling the terracing. They used to sell macaroon bars and tablet (like a Scottish version of fudge), which was fair enough, but also bizarre chocolate and chewing gum. The chocolate (IIRC) was made by "Star", and was very unpleasant, like cooking chocolate but much, much worse. The chewing gum tasted of spearmint, but lacked whatever ingredient normally holds gum together, and so turned to powder after about three chews. Totally unique to Scottish football, late '60s. Fortunately.
Freddo - Small thin Cadbury's Dairy Milk bars, with cartoon Freddo frog imprinted. Died out, then later reinvented, longer as Wildlife bars
Freshen-Up - chewing gum pieces that had thick liquid gloop in the middle. That wonderful liquid centre ran down your throat. The chewing gum part was pretty second rate, but the gloop was ace. (see "Bubbaloo" today).
Fry's Chocolate - With Turkish Delight ads back on our screens, is it too much to hope for a return of its chocolate cousins? Probably. The bog-standard bar (made 10% bigger in the '60s and hawked by cutprice Bond George Lazenby ("Big Fry! Big Fry! Big Fry!!!") with giant model bar), yes, but don't forget the Fry's chocolate cream bars. Orange and 'plain' varieties outlasted the classic five-segment Rainbow Bar - a multifruit flavoured choccy bar (Orange,lemon,lime,raspberry and... one other one). Lovely. TV ads featured a sophisticated country lady (UK equivalent of the Turkish madam?) chomping leisurely on her cream bar at an auction before coolly swooping in at the very last moment to buy the... whatever it was.
Galaxy Counters - disc-shaped chocolate blobs which had a giraffe on the packet. Much nicer than Cadbury's Buttons
Gambit - nowt to do with Fred Dinenage - it was a blend of Cadbury's milk and plain chocolate. Presumably the nature of the portion you bit into at any one time was the 'gambit'. Or perhaps not.
Gold Mine - Cadbury's milk chocolate with little Crunchie-like gold "nuggets" strewn throughout.
Gold Rush - Little sacks of gold - small fruity chewy sweets.
Grand Seville - Funny bar full of bits of orange peel. Cadbury equivalent in the same range as their "Velvet Mint", etc.
Hanky Panky - pre-Madonna, vaguely breast-shaped sweet popcorn which had Arthur Lowe in the TV ads, sat on a park bench beside a dolly bird indulging in double entendre. "Would you care for a bit of Hanky Panky?" SLAP! "I was only offering you a little nibble!" BIG SLAP!...etc.

sweet1.jpg
sweet3.jpg
sweet6.jpg
sweet2.jpg

sweet4.jpg
Ice Breaker - Mint bits in chocolate - see also mint cracknel.
Ipso - rivals to the Tic Tac empire, came in a square plastic box which for some reason you could stick Lego bricks to. Rotten, sub-Lilt, "calypso" advert. ""Ipso Ipso, Ipso calypso/So refreshing, lots of
flavour..." "Come one, you'll miss your train!"
Lemfizzes - intensely fizzy miniature paving stones. Haven't been seen for years.
Liquorice Imps - vile tiny pieces of spicy liquorice that came in a tiny box.
Logger - log-'shaped' chocolate bars in plain, fruity and nutty varieties. Very short ads -
Lumberjack: "I truly love a Logger"
Lumberjack's 'babe': "What, love one more than me?"
Lumberjack: "The Logger that I truly love's got marks on, like a tree!"
Marathon - to all intents and purposes defunct these days (don't mention that stupidly-named Transatlantic imposter). The Cheggers-fronted TV ads, with their vox pops from cab drivers and the like ("It's nuts, nugget (sic), milk chocolate... in between meals it's faaahntastic!") and tempting animated "comes up peanuts - slice after slice" bar cut-up, meant more to the good folk of this country than any weak double-entendre beginning with 's'. It's not too late to reconsider, you know...
Milk Tray chocolate bar - A bizarre choccy bar made up of the most popular Milk Tray chocolates of the time.You had to very carefully break off the one you wanted , making sure you didn't get a bit of Turkish Delight with a bit of Strawberry Cup.
Mint Cracknel - Chocolate-covered shards of mint-flavoured car windshield made in two seperate halves, similar looking to a Dime bar. Ads had a skiing theme (that was 70's orignality for you. Ice/snow/mountains/winter sports etc = any kind of mint choccy bar or toothpaste) and also Noel Edmonds, though possibly not together.
Mintessa - Dual-bar delight from Terry's of York featuring dark chocolate rippled over mint cream with mint crunchy sugary bits throughout.
Nunch (became Nudge) - Peanut butter chocolatey thing, now Starbar and/or Peanut Boost.
Nutty - 'The peanut-covered ****' simlar to Picnic, but came in a sort of brown-tinted transparent wrapper. Ads by Kenny Everett displayed an odd grasp of the laws of physics - "Rowntree's Nutty has so many nutty bits, it won't stand up on its end!"
Pacers/Opal Mints - The minty spinoff from the Fruits of the same name came in green and white-striped wrappers (the actual chewy sweet was a sort of pale bluey green colour) and later (as Pacers) the actual mint was striped. Spearmint flavoured, or rather, tasted like a tube of Colgate toothpaste dissolved in a swimming pool - dull, weak-as-hell mint flavouring. Ads for the relaunched pacers had various sportsmen and women (why?) suddenly being endowed with a Celtic-like stripey outfit on chewing. "Stripes?" After that they went for good some time in the mid '80s.
Picnic - caramel and nuts (as advertised by cuddly Kenny Everett in the '70s - "Cadbury's Picnic has so many nutty bits it won't stand up on its end! Look!" (cue bar falling over) - repckaged as Lion Bars. See also Rowntree's rival Nutty bar.
Pink Panther bars - franchised strawberry-flavoured chocolate. Pink coloured.
Prize - Rowntree-derived chocolate/raisin/fudge bar which flourished aroung the turn of the '80s. TV ads featured a stereotypical cartoon boffin.
Quirks - minty chocolate round things.
Rocket Pops - Easily the most dangerous lolly-type thing ever to baffle the Canadian confectionary market. Long, sharp, and pointy, but not shaped like any rocket known to man. Predictably colored green and red ('kids love them flavours', sez the ad wizard), with some weird waxy thing at the bottom.
Sherbert dib-dabs/fountains - Barrat, of that ilk. The fountains (minimalist yellow paper tube full of sherbet with one woefully inadequate licquorice stick in the centre as edible 'cutlery') and the slightly more flavoursome dib-dabs, with the cardboard lolly which always got soggy.
Skippy - No, not tasty bite-size morsels of our Australian kids favourite, but chocolate-covered chewy toffee and biscuit.
Space Dust and Pop Rocks - still popular in the US, now enjoying a Crunchie-enhanced resurgence in the UK. Urban legends about heads/stomachs/pet dogs exploding due to an overdose of these mixed with a soft drink of your choice were rife.
Spanish Gold - Picture it, 1980ish Roman Road, Middlesbrough, freezing cold, Sunday morning, pocket money to spend,already selected Roy of the Rovers & 2 bags of Golden Wonder, what else sould I get with my remaining change, there, just below the Frys Chocolate Cream, it caught my eye, a small rectangular red packet, supposed to resemble an old seafaring type blokes brand of tobacco. Open up the pack and you are greeted with some brown wormy looking stuff that was trying to look like tobacco, not particularly appealing to a small child but the taste, sweet as sugar (that would probably have been the sugar) with perhaps a hint of coconut, oh the taste...

sweet9.jpg

sweet7.jpg
sweet8.jpg
sweet5.jpg

sweeta.jpg
Striper - Rowntree-made chewy, striped thing with a different pseudo-fruity flavour in each stripe. "Four times the flavour, four times the chew!" ran the multi-coloured wedding advert.
Stroodles - Tiny disgusting chocolate-covered apple pieces (like grit) from Cadbury's, packaged in a very tasteful red apple-shaped packet.There was a bit of an advertising spat over Stroodles. Mr. Sheen was launched around the same time (or a new campaign at least), with the line "Cleans Oodles of Things". Said apple-shaped packets were said to contain "Oodles of Stroodles". Upshot was that Mr. Sheen lost the copyright battle, and suddenly "Shined Umpteen Things Clean" instead.
Summit - picture of a mountain peak on the wrapper funnily enough. nougat and cherries and some other stuff.
Superman 'sweet' cigarettes - And other makes, but this was the most prevalent. Withdrawn after the heroic one claimed 'he never said yes to a cigarette'. There were two types of chocolate cigarette as far as I remember - chocolate-centered, and ones with pink, sweet, chewy inner bits. They came in american style fag packets more often as not, exactly ciggie size and shape, and were each covered with white rice paper. See also the ones that came with picture story cards of the lizard-like "Volgons"...
Sweet necklaces and watches - made up of a thin piece of elastic threaded with these rock hard Love Heart type sweets. Excellent weapons when holding the sweet between your teeth and stretching the elastic in a catapult fashion, biting hard and firing at people, cars or low-flying aircraft.
Swizzel's Double Dip - from the mighty Swizzel/Matlow empire, with patented "Swizzel Stick" and those two kids on the packet. Also gave rise to the Swizzade drinkie offshoot. Free packet given away with Buster comic on the occasion of its merger with Jackpot.
Texan - infamous chewy bar ('Sure is a mighty chew') of chocolate-covered nougat' which you could stretch to the floor whilst still attached to your teeth. Red Indian (as was)/Mexican firing squad-baiting TV adverts ("Hold on there, bald eagle! You wouldn't light that fire until I open my Texan Bar, would ya?") are the stuff of legend.
Tiffin - another one which is made now, but was made years ago, phased out, and then re-introduced.
Traffic Lights - red lollies with orange and green strata underneath. The idea being, of course, that they would change colour as they were sucked, and therefore resembled traffic lights, or at least some sort of spherical, layered traffic light. They didn't work anyway - getting the layers off evenly would have taken a very methodical sucker indeed.
Treets - Ousted by the dreaded Transatlantic M&Ms in the '80s. Came in three varieties - peanut (yellow bag), toffee (pale blue bag at some point) and chocolate (brown). near-spherical chocolate/nut/toffee lumps, "sealed in a crispy shell". The "cred" kids version of Poppets and such - very adult-type sweets in little cardboard boxes with a cereal-box-style opening at the top. Could be stored in the inside pocket of your suit without any risk of stains.
Trio - three-segment bicuit/chocolate/toffee bar with animated hippy band in the ads featuring silent guitarist, mellow bongo player (voiced by Derek Griffiths) and "too loud!" vocalist Suzie, in pastiche of the old Stan Freberg "Banana Boat Song" routine. John Peel did the voiceover in his first ad work ("No three things are quite as good together as the three things in Trio").
Trumpton/Camberwick green toothpaste - Pink in colour. Before the days of fluoride. No medicinal purpose whatsoever. Came in various flavours, such as blackcurrant or raspberry.
Wham! bars - Long pink chewy things with bits of yellow and green fizzy bits according to flavour. Also the highly addictive Wham! chews.
Whistle Pops - a twist-wrapped lollipop that was moulded like a whistle and, indeed, whistled, a la Chitty Chitty Bang bang "toot sweets". They were about 10p, from the days when regular lollipops were about 2p-5p, so they were very much an upscale option.

fantastic list..but wheres Swisskit? the advert strap line 'would you risk it for a swisskit?'

No its shut. They couldn't afford the rents have moved their business to netbased. Not that I went there often enough for them to tell me their business plans!!

I only wish I could find the business card they gave me....

I believe there is a similar shop down Hamlet Court Rd. I may go and investigate later today...
Its at the top end of Hamlet Court Rd near the Off Licence.
Shame I have given up sweets, chocolate, cakes and biccies for lent, although I have lost nearly a stone in weight

there used to be a small sweet shop on the a13 next to the chippys on the corner at the Elms..next to HW Stone....always packed full of sweets..floor to cieling....is that there anymore?

A simple site but Harbouring (sic) some great sweeties:

The Highland Candy Company

I know the place well. Get off the bus at Nairn and in the short walk from the station to the beach you can't miss it.

When I was a kid, sweetie-wise, LSD did it for me.

Edit - just read back that someone's asking about the sweet shop in Hamstel Road. It's called 'Sweetie Heaven' and their proud boast on their shop poster is that "All of our sweets contain artificial flavourings and preservatives." My favourites in there are the Old Toad 'chocolate flavoured' cigarettes complete with edible fag paper.

Last edited:
Back