• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Well Saturday's decent refereeing performance was very much in line with expectations. I rather hope tomorrow's is somewhat better than expected.

Tomorrow's man-in-charge is the dead-eyed Darren Deadman, from Chatteris, Cambridgeshire. He is a civil servant, specifically a public transport officer for Peterborough City Council.

In his twelfth season as a League referee he has notched up well over 1200 yellow cards. His red card count has been above average too.

He comes to Roots Hall after Saturday's match between Sheffield United and Shrewsbury when he reduced the visitors to 9 men before half-time! The first sending off looked wrong in light of this year's double jeopardy rules. For the second one he made the injured player leave the field after receiving treatment - no longer necessary for a caution/send off challenge. Who needs rules eh ?

His last visit to Roots Hall was earlier this season in the Checkatrade against Brighton Under 21/23, a match played with less intensity than the average pre-season friendly so I refuse to give him any credit for a low-key performance.

His last proper visit to Roots Hall was back in April for the 1-0 home defeat by Oldham. He wasn't too bad; a yellow apiece (ours was Worrell).

Before that we were lucky enough to avoid him for over 3 years with his previous Southend match being the goalless and (unusually) cardless match at Fleetwood in 2012/13 when he did not endear himself to the travelling supporters by appearing to make a rude gesture towards them. Probably no ruder than what they were shouting at him though as, by all accounts another poor performance from him.

Before that his last couple of Southend matches have been nothing like as bad as some of his matches although the last one (Aldershot away 2011/12, 2nd attempt) we were so awful anyone would seem not too bad in comparison. The previous one, also that season, was one of his better ones (or should that be less bad?) and also one of our better ones as we beat Torquay at home 4-1.

Before that he showed 9 yellow cards in a staggering display of incompetence in 2009/10 at home to MK Dons. As it happens, we probably benefited from this abject performance. Our four yellows went to Barrett, Grant, Cristophe and Barnard.

Based on most previous experience of watching Mr Deadman, expect unnecessary cautions and a few puzzling decisions all delivered with an iritating style. He was once suspended for two weeks for allowing one too many substitutions in a pre-season friendly - hardly his biggest crime against football.

I have seem him have a few decent games but generally I find he has no empathy with the game, is needlessly picky and arrogant to boot. He referees to the letter of the Laws and too many games I've seen have been spoilt as a consequence. Having been deservedly overlooked for SG2 there's a chance he will be trying less hard to impress and his refereeing may be better for it.

Refereed us 10 times before. Before the above-mentioned matches it was in 2008/9 away to Brighton, where those of you with binoculars would have seen him caution Dervite and Sankofa. The season before that at home to Northampton (1-1 just 2 yellows), Preston at home the year before that (0-0 6 yellows) and the year before that at home to Swansea (1-2 7 yellows). He also did our 4-3 away win at Chesterfield that year when he sent off their defender for being unwittingly struck by the ball some way from goal.

Last season the cards were well down to a very average 101 yellows and 3 reds from 36 matches and his Championship appointments increased dramatically. I suppose he might have improved. This season 19 matches have seen a highish 69 yellows and 4 reds.

Assisting will be Dan Cook. There are two Dan Cooks on the League this year; one from Portsmouth and one from Braintree. On the basis he's listed as senior I assume its the ship-building welder from Portsmouth. Only one Darren Blunden on the list and this other assistant comes from Dartford. Fourth Official is Stuart Butler from Maidstone

Deadman's incorrect red card on Saturday (based on proper interpretation of the new rules) has been overturned on appeal.

Sounds like you hold him in real high esteem Mick.

Great info as usual. Where do you get this stuff? Is it all in your own records or is there some referees website where you can find out this historic info?

Great info as usual. Where do you get this stuff? Is it all in your own records or is there some referees website where you can find out this historic info?

You can't ask him that !
It's like asking a magician to reveal how a trick is done.

Always a bad sign I feel when I recognise the refs name.....

Well Saturday's decent refereeing performance was very much in line with expectations. I rather hope tomorrow's is somewhat better than expected.

Tomorrow's man-in-charge is the dead-eyed Darren Deadman, from Chatteris, Cambridgeshire. He is a civil servant, specifically a public transport officer for Peterborough City Council.

In his twelfth season as a League referee he has notched up well over 1200 yellow cards. His red card count has been above average too.

He comes to Roots Hall after Saturday's match between Sheffield United and Shrewsbury when he reduced the visitors to 9 men before half-time! The first sending off looked wrong in light of this year's double jeopardy rules. For the second one he made the injured player leave the field after receiving treatment - no longer necessary for a caution/send off challenge. Who needs rules eh ?

His last visit to Roots Hall was earlier this season in the Checkatrade against Brighton Under 21/23, a match played with less intensity than the average pre-season friendly so I refuse to give him any credit for a low-key performance.

His last proper visit to Roots Hall was back in April for the 1-0 home defeat by Oldham. He wasn't too bad; a yellow apiece (ours was Worrell).

Before that we were lucky enough to avoid him for over 3 years with his previous Southend match being the goalless and (unusually) cardless match at Fleetwood in 2012/13 when he did not endear himself to the travelling supporters by appearing to make a rude gesture towards them. Probably no ruder than what they were shouting at him though as, by all accounts another poor performance from him.

Before that his last couple of Southend matches have been nothing like as bad as some of his matches although the last one (Aldershot away 2011/12, 2nd attempt) we were so awful anyone would seem not too bad in comparison. The previous one, also that season, was one of his better ones (or should that be less bad?) and also one of our better ones as we beat Torquay at home 4-1.

Before that he showed 9 yellow cards in a staggering display of incompetence in 2009/10 at home to MK Dons. As it happens, we probably benefited from this abject performance. Our four yellows went to Barrett, Grant, Cristophe and Barnard.

Based on most previous experience of watching Mr Deadman, expect unnecessary cautions and a few puzzling decisions all delivered with an iritating style. He was once suspended for two weeks for allowing one too many substitutions in a pre-season friendly - hardly his biggest crime against football.

I have seem him have a few decent games but generally I find he has no empathy with the game, is needlessly picky and arrogant to boot. He referees to the letter of the Laws and too many games I've seen have been spoilt as a consequence. Having been deservedly overlooked for SG2 there's a chance he will be trying less hard to impress and his refereeing may be better for it.

Refereed us 10 times before. Before the above-mentioned matches it was in 2008/9 away to Brighton, where those of you with binoculars would have seen him caution Dervite and Sankofa. The season before that at home to Northampton (1-1 just 2 yellows), Preston at home the year before that (0-0 6 yellows) and the year before that at home to Swansea (1-2 7 yellows). He also did our 4-3 away win at Chesterfield that year when he sent off their defender for being unwittingly struck by the ball some way from goal.

Last season the cards were well down to a very average 101 yellows and 3 reds from 36 matches and his Championship appointments increased dramatically. I suppose he might have improved. This season 19 matches have seen a highish 69 yellows and 4 reds.

Assisting will be Dan Cook. There are two Dan Cooks on the League this year; one from Portsmouth and one from Braintree. On the basis he's listed as senior I assume its the ship-building welder from Portsmouth. Only one Darren Blunden on the list and this other assistant comes from Dartford. Fourth Official is Stuart Butler from Maidstone

That red card for Chesterfield was an absolute disgrace.

Great for us though and Freddy scored the resultant penalty.

Reminiscent of the (never a) penalty given to Sheffield Wednesday by Andre Mariner in injury time that cost us a well deserved point..............and Che shouldn't have been taken off at half time..........

Mick is a former Essex FA official, so I assume still receives regular bulletins from them and, as well as his impressive inside info, also watches a lot of games/refs.....

I am all for the referee communicating well but personally thought he pushed the levels required with several breaks in play whilst he spoke to various players.

Mick is a former Essex FA official, so I assume still receives regular bulletins from them and, as well as his impressive inside info, also watches a lot of games/refs.....

I get nothing from Essex County FA, except grief when involved with trying to run the Southend Sunday League.

I get nothing from Essex County FA, except grief when involved with trying to run the Southend Sunday League.

There is a reason for that.... its because they're incompetent fools who hide behind rules they don't apply properly and then sweep their behaviour under the carpet when they get rumbled.

...which probably means you shouldn't have written that.

Oh, the ECFA know EXACTLY what I think of them.

I've written to them several times telling them this and put it on their facebook on numerous occasions.

To be fair, if I had £2k in my bank account at the time, I'd have sued them.

Back