• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Swindon in danger

brigg blue

Newbie⭐
Swindon Town are being taken to court by their council for unpaid rent dating back to April 2020 and they haven't paid any players and staff for for the last month.

They have had players sign then leave less than a month later, they have no manager and their owners want out.

If the worst happens to them will that affect us at all?

I see what you're getting at but I'm sure you'll agree that it's a bit tasteless to hope that the demise of another long established club might benefit us. I hope that Swindon manage to survive, and every other club for that matter.
So do I. I'm doing fantastic job as swindon manager on championship manager ?

It's bad news for us really because they will become yet another big club to fall out of the league making our task to return even tougher.

I see what you're getting at but I'm sure you'll agree that it's a bit tasteless to hope that the demise of another long established club might benefit us. I hope that Swindon manage to survive, and every other club for that matter.
I'm not hoping that we benefit from their demise, I'm more concerned about there being a chance of us planning to be in one league but ending up in another.

It also shows just how bad last season was financially for all ubs

Swindon's ups and downs have been a bit like ours, but on steroids. They had that super season in top flight and, iirc a couple of very good cup runs.
We have "shared" a few players over the seasons and in PB the manager.
Didn't Macca play for them, and of course more recently Grantie.
Wiltshire's only league club? Fair support for a small town. In my mind I see them as a slightly bigger club than us by their success, on a par not long ago with P'boro, Brenfrord and B'mouth but now, like us fading.
I hope they can stabilise or they could follow us into the wilderness.

Swindon's ups and downs have been a bit like ours, but on steroids. They had that super season in top flight and, iirc a couple of very good cup runs.
We have "shared" a few players over the seasons and in PB the manager.
Didn't Macca play for them, and of course more recently Grantie.
Wiltshire's only league club? Fair support for a small town. In my mind I see them as a slightly bigger club than us by their success, on a par not long ago with P'boro, Brenfrord and B'mouth but now, like us fading.
I hope they can stabilise or they could follow us into the wilderness.
Timlin, Payne, and plenty of other players too.

Always liked going to the County Ground, one of only a few to do decent chips! Never forget that diabolical game when Christophe got sent off and the ref sent a letter of apology to Tilson after for his poor performance!

Things looking very dodgy at Swindon, players not paid, rent not paid on their ground for over a year, a player who only signed a month ago already leaving, hardly any other players on the books & pre-season only a few weeks away. Now before anyone says it, I know the score, we’re where we deserve to be and can’t look beyond the NL right now. But from what’s being said in the media, it really wouldn’t be a shock if Swindon couldn’t start the new season. The question has to be asked, if they had to drop out, who would replace them? Another team come up from the NL? Or a reprieve for the team that finished second bottom in L2...? I’m as resigned to our NL fate as anyone but it could become a serious question..

But they have a buyer in the wings ready to takeover. We know what it's like to suffer why are we bringing this up?

With Covid clubs are going to struggle financially at some point so are we going to add a post for every club suffering? Seems like we are just bringing this up to make our situation feel better

Last edited:
Already a thread running on this

Back in the 50s my father worked for Ekco in Wiltshire and as a young teen I used to watch Swindon Town. They had some exceptional young players, Ernie Hunt, Mike Summerbee, John Trollope etc and watching them was always a positive and enjoyable experience whatever the result. The crowds were alwaya supportive and optimistic. In 1960 Ekco transferred most of their operation to Southend, so we moved and I started to watch Southend. I wax immediately struck by the difference in supporters. I was not used to the carping, moaning and sheer cynicism from elements in the crowd that greeted every misplaced pass or goal attempt that failed and it shocked me. I soon got used to it and have remained a supporter to this day but I can't help but feel that a lack of belief in the club amongst supporters has contributed , albeit in a small way, to our present sorry state.
As a footnote, there was a comment earlier about Swindon being a small town, which of course is quite wrong. It has a population similar to Southend with excellent nearby motorway connections which makes it a very atfractive proposition for all kinds of businesses and industries. Hardly a rural backwater.nor an isolated poorly connected and congested outpost on a river estuary!

Back in the 50s my father worked for Ekco in Wiltshire and as a young teen I used to watch Swindon Town. They had some exceptional young players, Ernie Hunt, Mike Summerbee, John Trollope etc and watching them was always a positive and enjoyable experience whatever the result. The crowds were alwaya supportive and optimistic. In 1960 Ekco transferred most of their operation to Southend, so we moved and I started to watch Southend. I wax immediately struck by the difference in supporters. I was not used to the carping, moaning and sheer cynicism from elements in the crowd that greeted every misplaced pass or goal attempt that failed and it shocked me. I soon got used to it and have remained a supporter to this day but I can't help but feel that a lack of belief in the club amongst supporters has contributed , albeit in a small way, to our present sorry state.
As a footnote, there was a comment earlier about Swindon being a small town, which of course is quite wrong. It has a population similar to Southend with excellent nearby motorway connections which makes it a very atfractive proposition for all kinds of businesses and industries. Hardly a rural backwater.nor an isolated poorly connected and congested outpost on a river estuary!
Will u pm me ,I would like to talk ??

I worked in Swindon for a while and i must say i couldn't wait to get back to my outpost on the Thames,Swindon was a dump.

I lived there for nine years. Not the prettiest town by any means, although the Railway Village was architecturally impressive. Fabulous countryside around about though with excellent village pubs. And, yes, Swindon is actually a large town with a population approaching a quarter of a million. The only problem with going to the County Ground was getting stuck on the "Magic Roundabout" traffic islands - some old lads were marooned there for hours on end.......one was starting to choose his eight gramophone records ........

Last edited:
Back