• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It makes a change from so many matches this season that Bentley hasn't gifted a goal to the opposition but you are right about Atkinson and just watch Prosser for that 4th goal.The poor bloke struggled in League 2,for God's sake,he is an embarrassment at this level.
Are you seriously trying to blame Prosser for the 4th goal? It was entirely Atkinson's fault. Nobody in the stadium was expecting Atkinson to pass their player clean through on goal, what was Prosser meant to do about it?

I can tell you weren't at the game because Prosser was probably our best defender today,

It makes a change from so many matches this season that Bentley hasn't gifted a goal to the opposition but you are right about Atkinson and just watch Prosser for that 4th goal.The poor bloke struggled in League 2,for God's sake,he is an embarrassment at this level.

Your TV must have a much wider screen than mine because he was in the Swindon penalty area at the time.

Are you seriously trying to blame Prosser for the 4th goal? It was entirely Atkinson's fault. Nobody in the stadium was expecting Atkinson to pass their player clean through on goal, what was Prosser meant to do about it?

I can tell you weren't at the game because Prosser was probably our best defender today,

I think he means the third goal where, best defender or not, Prosser's attempt at a tackle was comically inept.

If he really was the best defender I think it probably says more about the other defenders than it does about him.

I was there too and I agree with you. Some people have it in for certain players and no matter how they play, they will be made the scapegoat. No-one came out of that with much credit. For what it's worth I thought Timlin did OK, but knew that Brown would sub him. Incidentally, when the game was going away from us, no not at 3-2 Brown, but right from the start of the second half, why not throw on Payne, probably our most skilful player? I'm afraid Brown is not in the least bit pro-active, and consequently we were punished by persisting with long balls, hopeful balls down the channels etc etc, all reinforced by 3 unimaginative and depressing substitutions. The sooner we get to 52 points the better, as we are currently in the falsest of false positions. Time for a beer.

I know it looks shocking, Will is desperately trying to keep the ball alive but Coker doesn't exactly do anything to help him out. We were obviously chasing an equaliser but I was more annoyed with the poor quality of Worrall's cross, they were poor all day. With both CB's at the far post and in the last few minutes he just has to produce something better.

Not sure about the 4th but for the second he is standing and watching the scorer next to him get the ball, turn and score, for the 3rd he is on the right hand side (where was Thommo? & so much for the left/right CB only side combo stuff and bull), and just kept backing and crabbing back with out a challenge. Poor, when he ought to have known others were around him and he was still outside the box.
Atko is not a game changer, creator or scorer so why bring him on to chase a game?

Wow!
First goal - too much space in box for attacker. Good stop by Bentley but nobody in a blue shirt responds to it!
Second goal - too much space in box again for attacker. Where are our centre halves?
Third goal - we back off their player for a good 30 yards. Nobody comes across to close down.
Fourth goal - No idea what Atko was doing. Pleased his attempted tackle didn't connect as he may have been red carded which would have topped it all off!

I was there too and I agree with you. Some people have it in for certain players and no matter how they play, they will be made the scapegoat. No-one came out of that with much credit. For what it's worth I thought Timlin did OK, but knew that Brown would sub him. Incidentally, when the game was going away from us, no not at 3-2 Brown, but right from the start of the second half, why not throw on Payne, probably our most skilful player? I'm afraid Brown is not in the least bit pro-active, and consequently we were punished by persisting with long balls, hopeful balls down the channels etc etc, all reinforced by 3 unimaginative and depressing substitutions. The sooner we get to 52 points the better, as we are currently in the falsest of false positions. Time for a beer.

I think at 2-2 putting Jack on at half time would have raised some eyebrows, it sounds like we were the better team in the first half. In hindsight Jack could have helped, but I guarantee if we'd put him on and conceded we have people complaining Brown put on our least defensive player and cost us the match instead.

Good finish from Tyrone.

all four awful defending! Is it prosser who goes to barge, misses and falls over for the third!?

Atkinson is inept and Bentley dives for the camera even though he cant save simple shots lately. Absolute comical defending.

Bentley's made howlers in the last 2 home games, no doubt about it. However I've seen the goals today and in no way can I see he was to blame for any of them.

I would have thought that anyone with a modicum of perceptiveness would have realised I put the 4th instead of the far more important 3rd goal.

Hell, that was depressing to watch...

not sure where we go from here, maybe go back to basics, learn how to pass, tackle and defend. All ridiculous goals to concede, especially the 3rd and 4th.

I think he means the third goal where, best defender or not, Prosser's attempt at a tackle was comically inept.

If he really was the best defender I think it probably says more about the other defenders than it does about him.
I'm by no means trying to suggest Prosser had a great game, it was certainly a case of him being the best of a bad bunch. Looking back at the third goal Prosser was at fault for making a poor tackle (I didn't actually notice that at the time) but he was actually on the wrong side of the defence covering Thompson and O'Neill. O'Neill doesn't even come into shot because he couldn't get back quick enough from one of his multiple unsuccesful trips forward. So I don't think Prosser deserves to be singled out as a mid-table League 2 player for that.

I also think it's unfair that Coker is escaping criticism when he was actually worse defensively than Prosser just because he's a fan favourite.

I'm by no means trying to suggest Prosser had a great game, it was certainly a case of him being the best of a bad bunch. Looking back at the third goal Prosser was at fault for making a poor tackle (I didn't actually notice that at the time) but he was actually on the wrong side of the defence covering Thompson and O'Neill. O'Neill doesn't even come into shot because he couldn't get back quick enough from one of his multiple unsuccesful trips forward. So I don't think Prosser deserves to be singled out as a mid-table League 2 player for that.

I also think it's unfair that Coker is escaping criticism when he was actually worse defensively than Prosser just because he's a fan favourite.

I don't know what game you were at but the one I was at Prosser was shocking!

I know it looks shocking, Will is desperately trying to keep the ball alive but Coker doesn't exactly do anything to help him out. We were obviously chasing an equaliser but I was more annoyed with the poor quality of Worrall's cross, they were poor all day. With both CB's at the far post and in the last few minutes he just has to produce something better.
It looks shocking because it was unfortunately. I know the play before it got to Will was poor but that doesn't excuse such a big mistake. I agree that Worrall's crosses and in fact the whole teams crosses were poor all game from open play which was a shame because you'd have fancied Barnett to get on the end of a few. Worrall's decision making also poor as well. At 2-0 he was in the area and had a clean shot at goal but decided to cross. And after that (or maybe it was before) we were on the attack 3 against 2 with Barnett and Hunt both screaming for a cross, he had a great opportunity to cross to Barnett who was unmarked at the back but he just kept running and running until he ran into their player.

Ffs some of our so-called fans should start supporting Bayern Munich or Barcelona.
Fact - we were one of the favourites to go down.
Fact - we are just outside playoff's.
Fact - standard of football is better in the first division than second.
Fact - we have had three poor results and our final fans are slating Manager, Defence and Goalkeeper.
Fact - these same fans were either celebrating our performances two weeks ago (or waiting to crawl out of the woodwork once we had lost a couple of games).
Fact - some of our fans hate Brown and hate the fact that he has done a great job.

Looking at the goals it seems that Bentley was not at fault (he pulled off some good saves). We appear to have been caught on the break for the fourth.

I've watched it about five times now (lucky me). Here's how I saw it:

1st goal - no one anticipated Bentley may not hold the ball and followed it in as they should have - it's basic defending. Ajose did (as all good strikers do) and he scored as a result. Prosser should have probably done a bit more to give his man less space to receive the ball from the initial cross. Deegan was well placed and for me, he should have recognised the danger seeing as he's a defensive midfielder and is in the side to provide cover to the back four. Thompson could have also done better with not letting Ajose turn him so quickly for the tap in.

2nd goal - Timlin lost his man and let him get in front of him which resulted in the cross going in from the throw in. Unsure whether it was Thompson or Prosser who didn't pick up their man, but Prosser was guilty of some pretty blatant ball watching.

3rd goal - where was O'Neill?! I don't think he was in the camera shot once for their third goal? Massively out of position which meant Leonard had to frantically track back and across to the right to cover him. Prosser should have done much better to not get beaten so easily, but O'Neill being nowhere to be seen was the main issue here. Had he been where he should have been, Leonard could have stayed central and provided cover to Prosser.

4th - Absolutely abysmal football from Atkinson. Had an absolute shocker which ended up with him jumping in for a last ditch tackle on Ajose which would have seen him red carded if he'd made a bit more contact and Ajose went down. Just amateurish awareness and control.

On a positive note, Barnett took his goal very well and it was good to see a big, strong striker power one in so confidently. Hopefully a sign of many more things to come. Was also funny seeing Worrall get a bit mixed up in the celebration and grab two big handfuls of Barnett's arse!

Would like to see Bolger and Thompson given a go together next week. Would also welcome the return of John White.

I've watched it about five times now (lucky me). Here's how I saw it:

1st goal - no one anticipated Bentley may not hold the ball and followed it in as they should have - it's basic defending. Ajose did (as all good strikers do) and he scored as a result. Prosser should have probably done a bit more to give his man less space to receive the ball from the initial cross. Deegan was well placed and for me, he should have recognised the danger seeing as he's a defensive midfielder and is in the side to provide cover to the back four. Thompson could have also done better with not letting Ajose turn him so quickly for the tap in.

2nd goal - Timlin lost his man and let him get in front of him which resulted in the cross going in from the throw in. Unsure whether it was Thompson or Prosser who didn't pick up their man, but Prosser was guilty of some pretty blatant ball watching.

3rd goal - where was O'Neill?! I don't think he was in the camera shot once for their third goal? Massively out of position which meant Leonard had to frantically track back and across to the right to cover him. Prosser should have done much better to not get beaten so easily, but O'Neill being nowhere to be seen was the main issue here. Had he been where he should have been, Leonard could have stayed central and provided cover to Prosser.

4th - Absolutely abysmal football from Atkinson. Had an absolute shocker which ended up with him jumping in for a last ditch tackle on Ajose which would have seen him red carded if he'd made a bit more contact and Ajose went down. Just amateurish awareness and control.

On a positive note, Barnett took his goal very well and it was good to see a big, strong striker power one in so confidently. Hopefully a sign of many more things to come. Was also funny seeing Worrall get a bit mixed up in the celebration and grab two big handfuls of Barnett's arse!

Would like to see Bolger and Thompson given a go together next week. Would also welcome the return of John White.

We had a throw deep in their half and had committed plenty if men forward in an attempt to win the game. Prosser should have taken a yellow.

Likewise in the first half we were attacking in numbers, Timlin was slipped in on the left to make it 3-0 and went for a side foot finish which the keeper still had to save. From then on I don't think we touched the ball until they made it 2-1.

But everyone quotes the old best form of defence is attack cliché.

I've viewed those highlights and come to the conclusion that our players were cold.

If you look closely, Swindon's players cleverly wore gloves, whereas we adopted the option of pulling our shirt sleeves over our hands.

The first 25 minutes were fine, as we ran around more than they did to keep warm, but our defenders were starting to feel the biting wind and by the time they'd been out there for 40 minutes, they were literally frozen solid.

As you can see, no-one was able to move for either goal.

PB had forgotten the gloves and this is why there was a 2 hour inquest in the changing room.

You'd think he'd know, having managed in the Premier League, where gloves are a permanent fixture. Even in the summer for some players.

Back