• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DistantBlue

Youth Team⭐
Probably been asked before but are there many of us still alive who were there that day when the Blues (inc Billy Best and Chico Hamilton) took down Swindon Town (including Don Rogers and John Smith) in the period when Swindon were so good they went on to be Arsenal in the League Cup Final at Wembley ?
My memory is of a big big Blues presence in the crowd and a brill performance by the boys to win 2-0
Am I getting it wrong but I think we were great that day
Any memories people ?

I was there as was my brother. On the coach coming back, one fan was right grumpy and soggy - for unknown reasons he was watching the game in his crash helmet, when we scored the second, a miffed Swindon fan poured a cup of tea over his hat!

As I think I have reported before, my overwhelming memory of this match was taking my seat to the strains of 'Obla Di, Obla Da' by Marmalade belting out, which was the big hit of the day. A fantastic match, great day out, never to be forgotten. We turned the tables on the Don Rodgers machine that day.

As I think I have reported before, my overwhelming memory of this match was taking my seat to the strains of 'Obla Di, Obla Da' by Marmalade belting out, which was the big hit of the day. A fantastic match, great day out, never to be forgotten. We turned the tables on the Don Rodgers machine that day.
That was number 1 in the hit parade the day I was born!
Don't remember the game :smile:

Days like Swindon are not foggoten , wearing our Ram Jackets and monkey boots my greatly missed friend Bob Jennings felt great on the coach to the game . I remember the trouble behind the goal before the kick off some off the older Zoner on here will remember this , King Billy putting us ahead in the 15th minute and Chico Hamilton netting the 2nd in the second half . Coming back the talk was who were we going to get in the draw on Monday , Liverpool , Man United , Tottenham all waiting .

Probably been asked before but are there many of us still alive who were there that day when the Blues (inc Billy Best and Chico Hamilton) took down Swindon Town (including Don Rogers and John Smith) in the period when Swindon were so good they went on to be Arsenal in the League Cup Final at Wembley ?
My memory is of a big big Blues presence in the crowd and a brill performance by the boys to win 2-0
Am I getting it wrong but I think we were great that day
Any memories people ?
I was speaking to Gary Moore early November last year(he was 70 years old), we were talking about the famous cup run of the 1968-69 season but in particular the Swindon cup tie and I asked Big Gary if he remembered the song that we sung about Don Rogers at the match. Gary said he had no idea what it was so would I sing it too him, I said no problem and it went something like this:- "Poor Donny Rogers lies dead on the floor kicked in the b......s by Sir Gary Moore".(Yes it is amazing what you can remember even when it is almost 50 years ago). This match for me and many others of a certain age will go down as one of our all time great away performances against a very good Swindon team. I remember Sammy McMillan failed a fitness test prior to the game and was replaced by Mel Slack who along with his team mates had a brilliant match, all the more remarkable that this was Mel's one and only appearance that season apart from a couple as substitute earlier that season. It was also his last ever match in the first team and a great way to finish his Roots Hall career. He joined Cambridge United in the summer of 1969 and helped them win a place in the football league the following year when they replaced Bradford Park Avenue.

Only memories of that day, were sitting in the main stand, with my Dad, Nan & Grandad (all stanch Blue's fans who attended home games at that time), and the main lot of our fans were in their end.

Had a day out visiting Stonehenge and pub before getting to the game, with three friends from Southnd School of Art. Totally unexpected victory, still got the local 'pink' evening paper with a report of the game, stashed away somewhee.

I was there and apart from the euphoria brought about by the result, the thing I remember is the thick fog on the car journey down when we were almost involved in a very bad accident on the M4. Went to the next round match at Mansfield too and recall Gary Moore almost getting us an equaliser. Happy days.

. Coming back the talk was who were we going to get in the draw on Monday , Liverpool , Man United , Tottenham all waiting .

Yes, I remember what a big disappointment the draw was, as was the match at Mansfield. Mansfield went on to reach the quarter finals.

Still we scored more goals in the Cup that year than both the finalists combined. We scored more goals in one game than there were in all four quarter finals, both semis and the final combined.

That was the first FA Cup Final I went to, other than for that fact, totally forgettable, unlike that Swindon game !!!

As i wrote before,i wanted to go,but MUM would not let me(or give me the money): I wanted then to go to the Shrimpers,if i remember right,,it was shown live there???
But no...Mum took me the pictures to watch the JUNGLE BOOK...gutted..love Mum to bits,but she stiched me up that day...
Since that day i HATE all things jungle,bears ,snakes,BALOO can go to !!!! as far as i care

Back