• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What do the Swindon fans think about this game? I fancy a SUFC win, 2-1! The goat and gray to score.

Who should we look out for on the Swindon side?

Message 2 - posted by HOROZONTALHARRY, 21 Hours Ago

Saddlers fan here, in peace. We played Swindon on Saturday. Their best player was the no.12, who played on their right. He caused us some problems, but fortunately in a moment of tactical genius that Colin Lee would have been proud off, they substituted him!!

Their goalie played well too.

Message 3 - posted by ?¤Magic 8-Ball ¤?, 21 Hours Ago

We're desperately searching for a win after our away form has let us down again.

A lot will depend on the team Andy King puts out. Watch out for Fallon, he'll definitely play, big centre forward, wins a lot in the air. Ricky Shakes is really quick down the right wing and Colin Heath is on loan from Man Yoo and hasn't done too badly since joining us.

Its about time all our new players gelled, and I'm hoping that when they do and we agree on a team/formation, somebody is going to get thumped.

Besides, we owe you a little revenge for beating us in the LDV last year!

Message 4 - posted by cornishredstfc, 21 Hours Ago

well i have to go with the reds - how else are we going to get points if we dont consolidate at home. If our midfield get an early grip on things we should get some kind of result. I'll go for 2-0. Our keeper apart from the Wallsall game has been outstanding!

Is Eastwood playing?

Message 5 - posted by SamTheFatChap, 21 Hours Ago

Mrs Sam has been kneeling in the corner since Sunday praying for goals. She nearly always gets what she wants so i see a hatful of goals here. Hopefully most of them will be for the reds.

Message 6 - posted by mattyreg, 20 Hours Ago

Is Eastwood playing?

Quoted from this message

Nope. He's suspended...

Still, the Goat is in great form, as are our wingers; and young James Lawson had a terrific debut up front last weekend (just ask the Latics!).

We're playing... not too badly at the moment. I'm not going to make a prediction since (a) I'm not in the business of tempting fate; and (b) since I make cack predictions. But it should be a good game - from what I can recall of last season, both sides like to get in on the deck and play.

The only prediction I can make is that, sadly, very few fans will travel. There's been a mass-protest on our message-boards at the £23 which is being charged by Swindon, which is ridiculously high.

If the charge was in the £15-£17 range, I imagine that about 500 or so Shrimpers would have made the trip. As it is, indications suggest that fewer than 300 will go.

You "do the math" as they say Stateside... you'll make less money from us Shrimpers than you would have done if your prices had been lower.

Final question: will Nicky Nicolau play? If so, I hope King sticks him at left back - our right wing, Mark Gower, would have a field day...

Matt

Message 7 - posted by we8oxford, 19 Hours Ago

You are complaining about paying £23 for 1 game , imagine having to pay it every week like we have to.Now you can see why our crowds are so low, we used to get 10K every week 7 years ago when it was £15 to get in, in the same league.

Nicy Nicolau will not start he might be on the bench. We are due a big win against someone, once all our new players gel(13 players) we could start a run.

sneaky 2-1 win to the Town, I think southend are not a bad side so any sort of win will do me.

Message 8 - posted by mattyreg, 19 Hours Ago

£23 every week would stick in the craw, somewhat. Our club management away from the pitch has, surprisingly, been rather adept at keeping the fans happy by not trying to fleece them at every turn:

* Prices frozen at £16.50 despite promotion
* Same home kit as last year
* Free podcasts via the Official Site with more SUFC news & interviews
* Smoking ban within Roots Hall (which is, I have to say, pretty popular with most fans)

For the first time in a decade or more, our club is being properly run off the pitch - as well as, of course, benefitting from Steve Tilson & Paul Brush doing the business when it comes to on-the-pitch management.

Little surprise that gates are up from a low of 3,900-ish average a few years ago to 6,077 average last season (and that was in League Two, with the likes of Macclesfield bringing sub-100 away followings).

It's fair to say that supporting Southend right now is as pleasant an experience as it's ever been!

Matt

Message 9 - posted by we8oxford, 19 Hours Ago

Add to that a new home and away kit at £30 each, 3.99 a month for the website and false promises of new ground for the last 6 years. Our board are absolutely cluless, we have got Willie Carson as chairman where is he every saturday afternoon you got on the BBC hosting the racing!!!! thankfully we have an extremely rich benefactor who keeps bailing us out everytime we get into financial trouble, which as you know is a lot more times than any other club.
We truly are the worst run club in the country, the good thing is we do have about 4k loyal fans who seem to go every week even when things are hitting rock bottom. The latest is that we may have to move out of Swindon (MK Dons ring a bell) to build a new stadium(Bath is being rumoured sharing with the rugby team) if the council knock back our 3rd attempt at building a 25k all seater stadium.

It is nice to hear that a club is thinking of it's fans, I just wish our board and council thought the same way!!

Message 10 - posted by robin_fan89, 17 Hours Ago

The board wouldn't risk a smoking ban in the County Ground, it would drive away even more fans. I'm a season ticket holder and I heard one guy on the radio saying that he refused to go to home games because of the prices, and instead went to every away match. Have to agree with the guy, at least season tickets are basically affordable. If they weren't I wouldn't go to home games.

Message 11 - posted by elPresidenteMike, 16 Hours Ago

Looking forward to Saturday's game, I'm a longtime Southend fan/local, and Swindon was my College town, I actually lived on the main route to the County Ground, so for me, it's got a 'derby' feel to it! Added to that, a few mates from my college years are Town supporters, bragging rights are up for grabs (...oh, how much I enjoyed last years LDV triumph!).

Message 12 - posted by mattcanning, 16 Hours Ago

In a way I agree with you... One thing out of all the new things at roots hall has p%&sed me off more than others. The security around the W block in the west stand. The W block, tickets for this area can't be bought. People who sit here are the 'singers' of the stadium, they buy there tickets somewhere else in the West stand and spend the game in the W block with all the other singers. We stood for a long time the other day singing and cheering on southend as we always do. Then continued to do so as 2 goals went into Oldhams net. The little fat security guards tryed to throw me out several times along with alot of other people at the back of the W block. They tryed this as we would not sit down. After about 10 minutes of them trying and getting more and more security, in the end we all sat down, people stopped singing, stopped cheering... Oldham scored.

So i agree with the No Smoking ban and the low ticket prices at roots hall but... I don't agree with them sending the security down our end of the west bank to stop us supporting out team. Thats what I go for, to support southend.

Rant over...

Prediction 2-0 Win at Swindon (yes i'll be there)

Message 13 - posted by mattyreg, 16 Hours Ago

Overzelaous stewarding has, alas, always been an issue at Roots Hall, Matt. However I am reliably informed that the new stadium manager:

* answers e-mails
* chats cordially to fans
* occasionally visits fans' messageboards
* is very approachable
* takes comments on board and tries to deliver good customer service

Makes a bit of a difference from Dave Jobson, doesn't it?!

Unfortunately, the West-block issue is one of those problems that can never be resolved. Fundamentally, Roots Hall is an all-seater stadium and has been ever since 1995 (how did we manage to pick the time when the Taylor Report was being rolled out to be in the Championship, I ask myself!).

Therefore, having one of the block full of people standing is, alas, always going to be a bit of a problem for the stadium manager and the stewards.

Other than asking the new guy to be a bit more understanding, and for the stewarding to be a bit more sympathetic, I'm not sure what the solution is...

Matt

Message 14 - posted by mattcanning, 14 Hours Ago

Thanks for the info. A couple of people who sit with me each week (and i'm sure many more people) are going to have words with people in high places about it, as I think the players need encouragement (as all players do)... And if they can't get it, that could cost the team, in my opinion. I definatly won't be sitting down at swindon

i support both southend and swindon, thus i am hoping for a draw.

sean o hanlon is a decent defender, but i think the dangermen are: fallon, thorpe, and migolaranzi if he plays.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steve flack is god @ Sep. 07 2005,13:01)]i support both southend and swindon, thus i am hoping for a draw.

sean o hanlon is a decent defender, but i think the dangermen are: fallon, thorpe, and migolaranzi if he plays.
ooooooo controversy!

tounge.gif

Ok - If you to pick one team to win who would it be? Who is closest to your heart

Or more pertinently, why the hell Swindon? Were you born round there?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Sep. 07 2005,15:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ Sep. 07 2005,14:57)]let's hope nicky get's loads of stick!!!
Think he will  
biggrin.gif
Why? I'm not gonna boo him. He left in unfortunate circumstances yes but he was a decent enough player.

Nope, I won't boo either. He did nothing wrong in my eyes and was quite useful. I think Cole will turn out to be better on the left though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Sep. 07 2005,15:59)]Nope, I won't boo either. He did nothing wrong in my eyes and was quite useful. I think Cole will turn out to be better on the left though.
Agree with you there.

But what's the point in booing or jeering a former player just cos you can? The guy did little wrong, seemed to have the right attitude and yeah, left under a dark cloud, but who cares?

He was part of out promotion winning side from last season and that deserves a bit of respect.

I don't think Nicky should get any stick. He left the club because he was released, not necessarily because he wanted to leave or because another club offered more money. He said himself he wanted to stay. I hope he doesn't get too much abuse because he always gave 100% and was unlucky not to stay. He was on the bench for their last game anyway.

Ah well never mind. Stick or no stick (that is the question) i couldnt really give a dam!

Back