• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SZ BOTB Round 2.. The Beatles v The Clash

who to go through

• The Beatles

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • The Clash

Votes: 21 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricko

READ THREAD BEFORE VOTING
SZ Battle Of The Bands Round 2.
Voting closes in exactly 24 hours.

In the Second Round of the competition,The Beatles (Sponsored by Libertine) have been drawn against The Clash ( Firestorm )

Post your Video clips, arguments, support and loathing. If both contenders are evenly matched, let your vote be swayed by the evidence at hand. Only place your vote when you are certain.
In the (unlikely?) event of a draw, the final decision will fall to Cricko who will base his decision solely on the evidence available in the thread.

Get Voting All.

Whilst I will accept that the early Beatles were ground breaking , they let it all go to their heads and they starting writing tunes about bleedin walrus's fer crissakes.

The Clash led the way with proper rebel songs , they never compromised their beliefs for the easy buck, Went to America and told them "this is what we are about, like it or lump it" , never sold out and always thought of their fans

I don't recall the Beatles getting in arguments with their record label because of the price of Albums.

from Wiki "The album was a double LP but sold for the price of a single one, which was the product of some record company duping by the band; they asked the record company if they could include a free 12" single with the album, and upon agreement from record executives, took it upon themselves to make the second disc a full length. This was one of the first showings of the band's anti-establishment/pro-listener position, as their mission was not to make money or please executives, but to get as much music out to Clash fans as possible."

The Beatles tapped into the start of an era when teenagers had little or no identity so winning them over was easy compared to the stance taken in 1976 where Supergroups and record labels were taking Youth for every penny they could and issuing dire tripe (including McCartney, Lennon and Harrison).
The Clash came along with a viable alternative and gave the Youth a voice .

Also think of what came after.
Post The Clash They gave us Big Audio Dynamite, the Libertines and Baby Shambles

Post The Beatles they gave us Frogs Chorus, Yoko Ono and Linda Mcartney veggie sausages...........

Post the Beatles they gave Us Imagine....Band on the Run a great Album..My Sweet Lord, for starters..:p

And where are the Pro arguments for the Beatles ??
They were the acceptable face of the "new2 Teenagers which middle class mummies didn't mind their kids listenening to, what kind you Youth is based on that, its about sticking two fingers up to the establishment not putting on suits with 2 more buttons than your Dads growing your hair an inch longer and singing a nice little ditty that Mummy knows the words to....

At least the am wore suits when everyone else didn't

Post the Beatles they gave Us Imagine....Band on the Run a great Album..My Sweet Lord, for starters..:p

Imagine, one of the most inept overated songs of all time, cynically recorded and marketed to tap into the popularist Anti Vietnam feeling

Band on the Run has Linda Macartney singing on it for gods sake .....

Even Ringo's son can't do anything original, he is currently drumming for the first round losers The Who !

Also think of what came after.
Post The Clash They gave us Big Audio Dynamite, the Libertines and Baby Shambles

Post The Beatles they gave us Frogs Chorus, Yoko Ono and Linda Mcartney veggie sausages...........

Why? This is battle of the bands, not 'Battle of what the bands did once they had split up'!!! :thump: ;)

And used as examples to help judge the talents within the band by what they were capable of achieving when on their own (and not being massively hyped by Record companies and the fawning Media)

But were not judging the individual members' worth as musicians, we're judging what they're like as a band....

Or that's how I see it anyway :rolleyes:

But were not judging the individual members' worth as musicians, we're judging what they're like as a band....

Or that's how I see it anyway :rolleyes:

Look Sunshine... I am singled handedly trying to educate the masses on how the Clash are better than a bunch of Scousers who were going nowhere (except for Hamburg brothel) until the 60's version of Max Clifford got hold of them.

I will clutch at all the straws I can to avoid this whole BOTB degenerating into a "like whoever the papers tell you to like" contest

(I still can't add smilies but trust me there would have been a few on my posts !)

I like the Beatles, I listen to quite a few of their albums, I obviously respect them immensely as a band and they are rightly critically acclaimed, but they just don't stir within the same emotions that The Clash's music does. The Beatles are good, but The Clash just do more for me.

I have just seen who sponsored the Beatles.
As the Libertines would have been nothing without Mick Jones' production skills I claim a walkover and onto Round 3 if you please

I like the Beatles, I listen to quite a few of their albums, I obviously respect them immensely as a band and they are rightly critically acclaimed, but they just don't stir within the same emotions that The Clash's music does. The Beatles are good, but The Clash just do more for me.

I think the emotions they stir in me are pretty apparent..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back