• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SZ BOTB Round 2.. The Jam v Oasis

who to go through

• The Jam

Votes: 41 64.1%
  • Oasis

Votes: 23 35.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricko

READ THREAD BEFORE VOTING
SZ Battle Of The Bands Round 2.
Voting closes in exactly 24 hours.

In the Second Round of the competition,The Jam (Sponsored by Mk Shrimper) have been drawn against Oasis ( Einstein )

Post your Video clips, arguments, support and loathing. If both contenders are evenly matched, let your vote be swayed by the evidence at hand. Only place your vote when you are certain.
In the (unlikely?) event of a draw, the final decision will fall to Cricko who will base his decision solely on the evidence available in the thread.

Get Voting All.

I don't like the Jam very much and they are supported by some Geezer In Mk ..:p

So it's Oasis for me ..

Oasis have already knocked out one truly great band (as opposed to a pretty decent one, which they are). Surely lightning can't strike twice?

It better f**king not.

Argh these two had to be drawn together didnt they!!
Oasis are class but its the jam all the way for me.

It would be the Jam anyway, but my vote goes to whoever's up against Oasis. Still boycotting everything else :mad:

Come on people, The Jam all the way!

Do you not remember the bloated atrocity that was Be Here Now?

Oasis: 2 great albums, 1 pile of bloated toss, and then a wedge of mediocrity sprinkled with a few good sing along singles.

The Jam - Every album a killer. Social realism (Saturday's Kids), romanticism (English Rose) and class war (Eton Rifles). No competition..... even Noel bows down to Weller's song writing.

CSJ! TRUEBLUE! TMLWT! I give you English Rose..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IccNC0XKy5Q

Last edited:
Come on people, The Jam all the way!

Do you not remember the bloated atrocity that was Be Here Now?

Oasis: 2 great albums, 1 pile of bloated toss, and then a wedge of mediocrity sprinkled with a few good sing along singles.

The Jam - Every album a killer. Social realism (Saturday's Kids), romanticism (English Rose) and class war (Eton Rifles). No competition..... even Noel bows down to Weller's song writing.

CSJ! TRUEBLUE! TMLWT! I give you English Rose..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IccNC0XKy5Q

And that does not cover a tenth of it.

Taking a Kinks classic and then showing them how to do it 10 times better - David Watts

Social Comment (Down in a Tube station)

They even did an album loosley extolling the horrors of Warfare - Setting Sons

Then they send you home in a pine overcoat
With a Message to your mum
Please find enclosed
One Son
One medal
and a note to say we won

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoWl-dUCAdo&feature=related

Running on The Spot & Happy Together - These are ALBUM tracks fer gods sake and they're immediate!

Vote Weller! Vote Foxton! Vote Buckler!

VOTE THE FUGGIN' BEST BAND THIS COUNTRY HAS EVER PRODUCED!

Vote
thejam4.gif

Last edited:
Very tough decision as 2 of my favourite bands , think both of them are worthy of going further than round 2 , semi's for both of them easily i would of thought .

Anyhow Oasis` just shade The Jam IMO

****...I really am torn on this one. As I said in the last round Oasis was the band for me during my early 20's and soundtracked that formative time of my life.

However I love The Jam and consider them to encapsulate so much about my Englishness and identity. Eton Rifles, Down In The Tube Station, Billy Hunt, Town Called Malice, That's Entertainment, Going Underground, To Be Someone......the list goes on and, great tunes and amazing social comment about this little country which despite it's flaws and wherever I am in the world will always be my home.

The Jam for me.....unlike the last round probably head ruling heart.

I'm not a huge fan of The Jam, but I despise Oasis so it simply has to be a vote for Weller, Foxton and Buckler. I think The Jam only ever made 1 decent album, but you can't argue with the string of first rate singles they released from "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" to "Town Called Malice". Although the complete and utter dross Weller has peddled in the last 15 years has made me hate him with a passion, he certainly knew how to write a great song once, and (more importantly) he also knew when to call it a day. I truly admire him for not selling out with a half-arsed reunion fuelled purely by a desire to inflate his bank balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back