• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SZ BOTB Semi-Final. Pink Floyd V The Jam

who to go through to the final

• Pink Floyd

Votes: 36 46.2%
  • The Jam

Votes: 42 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricko

READ THREAD BEFORE VOTING
SZ Battle Of The Bands The Semi-Final
Voting closes Monday Am when I get up

In the Keenly awaited SEMI-FINAL of the competition,Pink Floyd (Sponsored by Blueblood) have been drawn against The Jam ( MK Shrimper )

Post your Video clips, arguments, support and loathing. If both contenders are evenly matched, let your vote be swayed by the evidence at hand. Only place your vote when you are certain.
In the (unlikely?) event of a draw, the final decision will fall to Cricko who will base his decision solely on the evidence available in the thread.

Get Voting All.

Probably in my youth there would have been no hesitation as I clicked The Jam. Now older, and moving back to the early 70's (might even tie a scarf round my wrist at the next game) I might go with those I would have been bored by. I'll weigh up the arguments and vote later, thanks.

Love Sid Barrett though

After he left Pink Floyd he became a musical comedy genius, sadly his brain was too fried by acid to recognise it.

His solo material must the funniest music you can listen to whilst puffing on a big fat doobie

Last edited:
:hilarious:

And here was me thinking that you said metal that was gay... ;)
I believe that the Jam also play a form of rock, you know...

Punk / power pop not rock.

Yes and a valid point by CCCsiders about Mr Weller and Mick Talbot from the Style Council, still that was an aberration that occurred after the Jam's golden years

This is quite simple a vote for the exuberance of youth over the hulking dinosaurs of pomposity.

The Jam embodies what pop music should be about: Vibrance, energy, nerve tingling, ear shredding perfection, all wrapped up in truly outstanding lyrics from one of the greatest song writers this country has ever produced. 18 top 40 singles and NOT ONE of them a duffer.

From the early punk roots of In The City and The Modern World to the glorious, inspirational brilliance of Going Underground and The Eton Rifles, to call it a day on Beat Surrender is just what popular music should all be about.

I have to be fair: I like Pink Floyd as well, bit they're music for art students sitting around a big spliff and talking about how big space is and how we could all, like, be underneath a giants fingernail..... besides,
A Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason were awful, Genesis lite....

Its quite simply:

Vyvyan.gif
v

_40127544_students_203152.gif

Yes and a valid point by CCCsiders about Mr Weller and Mick Talbot from the Style Council, still that was an aberration that occurred after the Jam's golden years

Remember people, this is about one band: The Jam.... not the Style Council, not Paul Weller solo, not the Mojo Sodding Filters.

The Jam is a vote for eternal youth!

Sorry, but Punk is a form of rock....
And I would never call the Jam power pop! :p

Pretentious, upper middle class ,pseudo artistic, mega-band playing music too dire for the lifts in a supermarket vs the Raw, youth focussed ,Trio from Woking

or

I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it

vs

I first felt a fist, and then a kick
I could now smell their breath
They smelt of pubs and wormwood scrubs
And too many right wing meetings
My life swam around me
It took a look and drowned me in its own existence
The smell of brown leather
It blended in with the weather
It filled my eyes, ears, nose and mouth
It blocked all my senses
Couldnt see, hear, speak any longer
And Im down in the tube station at midnight
I said I was down in the tube station at midnight

Is there really any need for a poll

Pretentious, upper middle class ,pseudo artistic, mega-band playing music too dire for the lifts in a supermarket vs the Raw, youth focussed ,Trio from Woking

or

I've got a bike
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
But I borrowed it

vs

And too many right wing meetings
My life swam around me
It took a look and drowned me in its own existence
The smell of brown leather
It blended in with the weather
It filled my eyes, ears, nose and mouth
It blocked all my senses
Couldnt see, hear, speak any longer
And Im down in the tube station at midnight
I said I was down in the tube station at midnight

Is there really any need for a poll

:hilarious:

That's quite a persuasive argument, well done!

or

I've got a bike
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
But I borrowed it

vs