• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bob Cratchitt

Devil's Advocate
What is RSS?

In a world heaving under the weight of billions of web pages, keeping up to date with the information you want can be a drag.

Wouldn't it be better to have the latest news and features delivered directly to you, rather than clicking from site to site? Well now you can, thanks to a very clever service, RSS.

There is some discussion as to what RSS stands for, but the majority plump for 'Really Simple Syndication'. Put plainly, it allows you to identify the content you like and have it delivered directly to you.

It takes the hassle out of staying up-to-date, by showing you the very latest information that you are interested in.

Not all websites currently provide RSS, but it is growing rapidly in popularity and many others, including the BBC, Guardian, New York Times and CNN do provide it.

How do I start using RSS feeds?

In general, the first thing you need is something called a news reader. There are many different versions, some of which are accessed using a browser, and some of which are downloadable applications. All allow you to display and subscribe to the RSS feeds you want.

For anybody with Firefox, Opera and Safari, these browsers have functionality which automatically picks up RSS feeds for you.

How will it work on ShrimperZone?

Well everytime a page is updated, the RSS will update to show you that a page has new content. This will allow you to quickly check if there is anything new to read, so for instance you can be in the Forum and still see at the same time new reports, news items and new articles to read.

That's what I like to see, SZ keeping up with modern technology!
cool.gif

I seem to be having a problem setting up the SZ RSS feed on BT Yahoo...it says it can't find the RSS file I asked for and to contact the webmaster....is it up and running yet?

Yes of course it is up and running and has been since Saturday.

Goto the Orange Box on the home page that will tell you what the url is for the rss file.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Aug. 09 2005,22:08)]Yes of course it is up and running and has been since Saturday.

Goto the Orange Box on the home page that will tell you what the url is for the rss file.
Cheers Bob - that will have just been BT Yahoo being $%&*e then.

Works really well and a reet good idea, well done!

Cheers Ron, I think RSS is a great system and I am glad SZ can be the first Southend website to use it. I am even looking at ways to get it incorporated into ikonboard so you can see new posts as they occur.

Obviously limited to say 10 or 20 latest posts.

Back