• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Following on from the SZ Annual Awards, here's my team of the year:

GK - Firestorm, his consistency and the fact that very little gets past him makes him a natural to go in goal.
RB - Martin Carruthers, his username may suggest a role up front but given his versatility across the board (shrimpers chitchat, the pub, the stadium) I see him as a right-back where he can maraud up and down the right wing. He's been a real force this year and developed into a key player. SZ's own Simon Francis.
LB - beefy, has proved a tenacious defender of Tilly, Ron Martin and various players against the unwarranted element of criticism
CB - Canveyshrimper, its always good to have some experience at the back, particularly now that Cricko seems well past it
CB - DadofDavetheShrimper - a reliable figure at the back with his travel updates and historical inputs.
CM - Tarquin Fauntleroy, a fairly recent addition, but one who is making a real impact. I see him as a midfield terrier, mowing down all in front of him. Has been a real star and a joy to watch in action.
CM - East Stand Blue, his journalistic training makes him the equivalent of a player from a Premier$hite academy with that slightly extra bit of class. He maybe has a touch of arrogance that rubs some up the wrong way, but don't count me amongst them as he continues to evolve into a key SZ player. SZ's Anthony Grant?
LW - Rusty, a natural for the left-wing given his LSE education. He provides a cutting edge for the 'Zone.
RW - Elstree Blue, in for his probing style of play and the way he's provided real substance.
CF - NZamba Legend &
CF - Mad Cyril, two club stalwarts up front who never fail to hit their target. It's surely only a matter of time before they are poached away for bigger and better things.

Subs

Pubey - seems distracted by off-field issues (work, marriage) which has seen him less prolific than before
Slipperduke - it's easy to take him for granted as he's set himself such incredibly high standards, but this year his efforts seem more workmanlike and concentrated in the general football forum. They consequently lacking the flair that had set the pub alight in the past
Bobby Greenberg - a formidable player, but too quiet for my liking this year.
Drastic Sturgeon - a quietly impressive second year
Clinton Baptiste - another emerging figure on the board
Shrimpero - probably the most recent addition in my squad. I expect big things from him next year

Apologies to all those who just missed out or I managed to forget.

what a right wing there... lets hope ron martin isn't a left winger for the opposition!!

Left Wing has to be Lord Football. He's more left wing than Karl Marx!!

OBL would be the "Revs" or "Matt Harrold" up front. Always wide of the mark!!

*hangs his head in shame*

Point taken, gaffer.

Yeah, whilst you're still my writer of choice on English football and your work match reports/columns remain a high quality, I miss your contributions to the pub like this.

More postings in the pub please.

Good thread YB... I'm off to HMV to buy a ridiculously oversized pair of headphones that are actually larger than my head and a Louis Vitton washbag.

Back