• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SZBC London Branch Part (Quatre) and last "Do" before XMAS

SZBC London Branch Part (Quatre)

• Total voters

Cricko

icon1.gif

Having had talks with the Chairman DTS today, the date for the next SZBC London Branch meet will be Thursday Nov 1st

As it is likely to be a tad colder then, than our previous meets .. we would like suggestions for a different venue close to Fenchurch Street Station that will take our party inside and has quite an open area.

Suggestions will be added to a Poll.

Cheers. DTS,John.

Last edited:
Thats better ..ok all sorted now ....:)

Add your suggestions and I will add them to the Poll.

OK, here are the fancyapint.com reviews:

Counting House

Euston Flyer

Hog's Head

For me, the Counting House wins by a country mile. Close to Bank, Fenny & Liverpool Street; excellent Fullers' beers; a beautiful building inside - and very roomy, so it's not as if our band of merry troopers will overwhelm the place; and it's near my office.

:D

nor me, i'm just going on a mates recommendation. the counting house sounds a good shout

Hmm... controversially, fancyapint don't really like the Magpie. What beer have they got on, YB?

Magpie

The downside of the Magpie is that it is not a big pub, space-wise; and depending on how many of us turn up, we might rather overwhelm the pub... not sure that's necessarily a good thing. Nice pub, though - I've not been to it in a couple of years, but it's the one near Hammonds's offices in Devonshire Sq, isn't it?

As for the Shooting Star, it's another Fuller's pub... and I'd venture to suggest that The Counting House is a better one.

Matt

Last edited:
Hmm... controversially, fancyapint don't really like the Magpie. What beer have they got on, YB?

Magpie

The downside of the Magpie is that it is not a big pub, space-wise; and depending on how many of us turn up, we might rather overwhelm the pub... not sure that's necessarily a good thing.

As for the Shooting Star, it's another Fuller's pub... and I'd venture to suggest that The Counting House is a better one.

Matt

Landlord, Pride and a couple of guests. It is the best kept beer in London in my expert opinion.

There's a function room upstairs which we might be able to use, but it hasn't been crowded in there since the smoking ban, and there's plenty of room for a group of 16.

Haven't been in the Counting House for a while, but from my previous visits the beer there is average at best.

ps Yes, it is the one near Hammonds

I bet the Magpie don't sell real Larger shandy ..:finger: :p

It's probably a pub for Brian Blessed lookalikes.

Landlord, Pride and a couple of guests. It is the best kept beer in London in my expert opinion.

There's a function room upstairs which we might be able to use, but it hasn't been crowded in there since the smoking ban, and there's plenty of room for a group of 16.

Haven't been in the Counting House for a while, but from my previous visits the beer there is average at best.

ps Yes, it is the one near Hammonds

OK, now I've had my mini-dig, I'm certainly more than happy to give the Magpie a try - it's nearer my office for starters! So long as you don't think we'll overwhelm it, then I agree it's a good pub.

That said, I can't agree with your views about the Counting House. The beer was excellent when I last went (Pride aside); they had a lovely Fullers summer ale and Deuchars on when I last went, IIRC - and both were excellent.

Matt

To give everybody a fair crack of the whip deciding on the pub ...this poll closes in 2 minutes ..:p

I've transferred my vote to the Magpie... oooooh...controversial!

:finger:

Just because you like men with facial hair..:p

The poll will stay alive at it is with other suggestions if required till ermmmm, next Friday.

Last edited:
Date fixed ....THURSDAY NOVEMBER 1ST......get it in your Diary chaps and Hils.

Back