• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
For a bit of fun and to honour our club's history, I propose starting a SZ Hall of Fame to recognise the true legends of Southend United.

The words legend and great are bandied about a bit too often for my liking, I'd like our Hall of Fame to be exclusive and so that only the elite make it. It will be our version of Canton or Cooperstown and I'd be looking at us electing the greatest dozen or so individuals in the history of Southend United, although the final number maybe slightly more or less than this. The key point is that we need strict quality control so that only the select few get in. If we start electing too many, I might introduce a rule that it is one in, one out.

Mere longevity should not be sufficient to gain entrance, instead it should be limited to those who made a substantial impact, displayed greatness and left a legacy. Honours achieved during their stay should be adduced in a candidate's favour, as should their subsequent career if they were remembered as a Southend graduate. The only rule will be that they have to have left the club at least two years ago.

The way this will work is that every so often I will open a thread asking for nominations. SZ posters can nominate only one individual per round of nominations, so you'll need to think carefully over who you want to propose.

Whoever has received the most nominations shall go forward to a ballot. An individual (it doesn't have to be a player, we can nominate chairmen, managers, groundstaff, anyone who has been one of the key dozen or so figures in Southend United's history) will have to have received at least 5 nominations though. Candidates will then have to receive 90% of the votes and at least 30 votes to be inducted into the SZ Southend United Hall Of Fame. In case of any disputes my decision shall be final.

So ladies and gentlemen, your nominations please, remember you can only nominate one individual, they have to be a great and remember they have to have left the club at least two years ago.

Stan Collymore (obvious I know).

Obvious, but I'd like to feel a good choice. He'd struggle on the longevity criteria, but I'd like to think he'd make up for it when considering impact and legacy (all £3.65m of it).

Pubey - shut it.;)

If you want to add your nomination (and remember an individual needs 5 nominations to go forward) please copy and paste the list and add your name to it

Stan Collymore - MK Shrimper
Duncan Jupp - ldnfasto
Billy Best - McNasty, canveyshrimper
Sid Broomfield - Pennyfather
Scott Houghton (presumably because Tommy Black wasn't eligible) - Stereoscene

Duncan Jupp - ldnfasto
Dave Smith - Napster

Last edited:
Duncan Jupp - ldnfasto
Dave Smith - Napster
Brett Angell - SUFC_Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Duncan Jupp - ldnfasto
Dave Smith - Napster
Brett Angell - SUFC_Al
Ricky Otto - Pubey

Duncan Jupp - ldnfasto
Dave Smith - Napster
Brett Angell - SUFC_Al
Ricky Otto - Pubey
Chris Powell - Brettie_Angell

Duncan Jupp - ldnfasto
Paul Clarke - Lord Footy

Duncan Jupp - ldnfasto
Paul Clark - Lord Footy
Richard Cadette - Uxbridge Shrimper

Good idea by the way YB...

Only Billy Best has more than one nomination so far, and players need 5 nominations to go forward to the ballot.

Duncan Jupp - ldnfasto
Dave Smith - Napster
Brett Angell - SUFC_Al
Ricky Otto - Pubey
Chris Powell - Brettie_Angell
Paul Clark - Lord Footy
Richard Cadette - Uxbridge Shrimper