• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When nominating please cut and paste the list and add your nomination

Oliver Trigg (2) - Overseas Shrimper, Johnny O
Leke Odunsi (1) - ldn fasto
David Webb (2) - Kent Shrimper, Bobby Greenburg

How about Robert Maxwell?

Helped his mate Vic Jobson bail out a club whose pension money had been pinched by a shady character by using money that he pinched from another pension fund?

He is eligible, as is Jobson, but have you already nominated Ronnie Whelan?

No distinction is made between someone as a player or manager, it is just greatest individuals.

Paul Sansome....Great keeper, always had a fantastic rapport with the fans, probably more than any keeper I can remember....

Oh and the legendary..ooooooohhhhh, it's Sammmmy...

Never to be forgotten.

Sorry...saw the cut and paste thing after posting!!

Last edited:
Paul Sansome (1) - davewebbsbrain
Oliver Trigg (2) - Overseas Shrimper, Johnny O

He is eligible, as is Jobson, but have you already nominated Ronnie Whelan?

No distinction is made between someone as a player or manager, it is just greatest individuals.

I should take my private thoughts and keep them private.

In the meantime stick me down for a Trigg nomination please!

Oliver Trigg (3) - Overseas Shrimper, Johnny O, dc80

David Webb for me.....brought great times to the hall.

In the mean time there are plenty of other worthy candidates to nominate. Mervyn Cawston the record-breaking keeper who set all those records with the 1980-81 team, or Paul Sansome the keeper for the 89-91 consecutive promotions or his successor Simon Royce, whose brilliance kept us in the 2nd tier, inspired us to beat Wet Sham and pulled off probably the greatest ever save by a Southend keeper against Edinho of Bradford and later went onto set a premier$hite record for longest without conceding. .

All good points about the goalkeepers....but none of them were able to pip Marvelous Mel Capleton for the Echo's Goalkeeper of the Millenium award..... :stunned:

All good points about the goalkeepers....but none of them were able to pip Marvelous Mel Capleton for the Echo's Goalkeeper of the Millenium award..... :stunned:

And people wonder why I insist on the 2 year rule!

I've got no idea if he does still do the Blues Lounge or whatever it is, or what sort of arrangement he has with the club. I'm therefore going to rule that assisting the club on matchdays (whether it is glad-handing in Executive Boxes or selling programmes) won't make someone ineligible providing that they only do it on a part-time basis and that it isn't the main thing that they are famous for.

Is he your nomination?

Yes he is. Considering the wide range of nominations in the 1st round, I was very surprised he didn't get 1 nomination (I dont think he did). In my opinion he is the 2nd best striker we have had (just shading Eastwood). He played 132 games so there shouldn't be any worries about longevity and scored at better than a goal every other game.

His biggest achievement was scoring 29 league goals in a relegation side. To score that amount is tremendous anyway but in a poor side is even better. He also played a massive part in keeping us up in 1987/88 and his goals fired us to promotion in 1989/90.

He also scored the best goal I have ever seen from a Southend player against Wigan in 1988, those that were there will know what I am talking about.
Also a great bloke and still supports the club.

Oliver Trigg (4) - Overseas Shrimper, Johnny O, dc80, bishmania
David Webb (3) - Kent Shrimper, Bobby Greenburg , number 11
Ron Pountney (1) - OBL

Ron Pountney (1) - OBL
David Crown (1) - Southend Neil

Ron Pountney (2) - OBL , Firestorm

Ron Pountney (3) - OBL , Firestorm, MK.

Before my time, but the comments made when Sir Stan got in sort of made it clear that Ronny should definitely be there.

Ron Pountney (4) - OBL , Firestorm, MK, canveyshrimper

IMO Ronnie should have gone in, so I'll switch my vote to him.

Paul Sansome (2) - davewebbsbrain, Streakyshrimper
Ron Pountney (4) - OBL , Firestorm, MK, canveyshrimper

Ron Pountney (5) - OBL , Firestorm, MK, canveyshrimper,shrimp and two veg

"Dad,who's that old-looking bloke with the balding head?"

So good i named my boy after him!

Oliver Trigg (5) - Overseas Shrimper, Johnny O, dc80, bishmania Gt Yarmouth Shrimper
Ron Pountney (5) - OBL , Firestorm, MK, canveyshrimper,shrimp and two veg

Whoever posts a nomination next, Sammy has 2 as Streaky Shrimper has also nominated him.

Back