• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I nominate: Mr Frank Gill.

The Voice of the mike at RH for a very long period of time.

Believe he may also have done Hospital Radio ?

Just to update...

Paul Sansome (2) - davewebbsbrain, streaky shrimper
Oliver Trigg (5) - Overseas Shrimper, Johnny O, dc80, bishmania Gt Yarmouth Shrimper
Leke Odunsi (1) - ldn fasto
David Webb (3) - Kent Shrimper, Bobby Greenburg , number 11
Ron Pountney (5) - OBL , Firestorm, MK, canveyshrimper,shrimp and two veg
David Crown (1) - Southend Neil
Frank Gill (1) - Irate Ian

So Oliver Trigg & Ron Pountney are nominated then?

Oliver Trigg (5) - Overseas Shrimper, Johnny O, dc80, bishmania Gt Yarmouth Shrimper
Frank Gill (1) - Irate Ian
Ricky Otto (1) - Pubey

Frank Gill (2) - Irate Ian, Napster
Ricky Otto (1) - Pubey

Frank was a family friend. Did loads of work for the supporters club and the club itself. Good call Ian.

Frank Gill would have been somewhere in my nominations - good friend of my grandad, bowls partners at Bournemouth Park.

Ron Pountney (6) - OBL , Firestorm, MK, canveyshrimper,shrimp and two veg,CsBoy
Ricky Otto (1) - Pubey

If Ron Pountney isn't in this time then Yorkshireblue better scrap this hall of fame thing as a Southend hall of fame without Ron Pountney is like a West Ham hall of fame without Bobby Moore

Found this on SUFC DB... Top 20 players and Poutney doesn't even make that list...

1 Stanley Victor Collymore
2 Chris Powell
3 Billy Best
4 Simon Royce
5 David Crown
6 Brett Angell
7 Ricky Otto
8 Bill Garner
9 Richard Cadette
10 Leo Roget
11 Mike Marsh
12 Andy Ansah
13 Sammy McCrory
14 Alan Moody
15 Ian Benjamin
16 Steve Tilson
17 Peter Butler
18 Ronnie Whelan
19 Colin Morris
20 Martin Carruthers

Found this on SUFC DB... Top 20 players and Poutney doesn't even make that list...

1 Stanley Victor Collymore
2 Chris Powell
3 Billy Best
4 Simon Royce
5 David Crown
6 Brett Angell
7 Ricky Otto
8 Bill Garner
9 Richard Cadette
10 Leo Roget
11 Mike Marsh
12 Andy Ansah
13 Sammy McCrory
14 Alan Moody
15 Ian Benjamin
16 Steve Tilson
17 Peter Butler
18 Ronnie Whelan
19 Colin Morris
20 Martin Carruthers

Are they having a laugh...useless lazy arsed ****!!

Got to be Billy Best

Was just about to say has no-one nominated Billy Best. Whenever the old-timers speak about him, you can sense the reverence in their voices and the reception he got during our centenary celebrations was all I need to know about his Hall of Fame qualifications.

I'd love to hear some more stories about why Southend fans who were lucky enough to have seen him play hold him in such high regard.

Ron Pountney (6) - OBL , Firestorm, MK, canveyshrimper,shrimp and two veg,CsBoy
Ricky Otto (1) - Pubey
Billy Best (1) - PAK

Was just about to say has no-one nominated Billy Best. Whenever the old-timers speak about him, you can sense the reverence in their voices and the reception he got during our centenary celebrations was all I need to know about his Hall of Fame qualifications.

I'd love to hear some more stories about why Southend fans who were lucky enough to have seen him play hold him in such high regard.

I opted for Ron Puntney in this vote as I felt he should have gone in pre Christmas. But I would have voted for Billy Best otherwise. I've said before here that he is still after 40 years my all time Blues hero and guess that won't change. Unless of course we find another striker with his longevity and goal scoring record.

He scored (I think) 123 goals in a near 6 year Southend career a total only exceeded by Roy Hollis who I never saw.

He was short of stature and not the quickest, but his ability to pach goals was second to none. He also formed good partnerships with Gary Moore and Bill Garner that stood us in good stead particularly our first promotion year of 1972. In the memorable 1968/69 season he scored 9 goals in two FA Cup ties, 4 against King's Lynn in 9-0 romp and 5 against Brentwood in a 10-1 victory. The Brentwood game was all the more memrable as at 5-1 with around 20 minutes to go he hadn't scored and then got 5 in the time remaining.

On top of that he was a bloody good bloke and at away games at some far flung places he was one of the first to greet supporters who had made the journey to some grim Northern outpost.

There's a few reasons why a view of us gnarled veterans get a tear in our eyes over a true Southend great. I hope he will be a certainty for the Hall of Fame soon.

Billy Best

I am torn between Billy Best, Sandy Anderson and Stan Collymore. See my vote at the end of this post.

For the Shrimper (Yorkshire Blue) who asked about Billy Best, you are right, people do tend to talk about him in reverential tones. Perhaps the legend has grown since he was with us but he was a fantastic player. I remember him most of all being in the classic 'little and large' partnership with Gary Moore, Best picking up on the fallout from Moore's height and presence. It would be interesting to know how many of his goals were scored from beyond 12-15 yards, very few I would imagine.

He was a footballer of a bygone era in many respects. He was rarely injured although he took a lot of knocks and tackles from behind. He gave 100% every game - you could rely on him to rise to the big occasion but also be up for the bread and butter matches, of which there plenty before play-offs. He was modest too, with goal celebrations that would shame many modern players and was brave and tough in era of meaty centre-halves. For a small man he scored a lot with his head. Above all

Importantly he scored loads of goals for the Blues of course, many of which I witnessed which, of course, makes him something of a hero for me. I actually received a 'Simply the Best' T-shirt for Christmas which made the trip to Stamford Bridge.

One point which would go against him as a Blues legend is the fact that he is also a legend in Northampton, but overall I think we can claim him as a true Shrimper. For Yorkshire Blue and other fans unlucky not to have seen him I sometimes compare his style with Richard Cadette. In the last few years we haven't really had a Best-like player - our significant goalscorers such as Stan and Freddy are very different types of player.

For me, it has to be Billy, Billy, Billy Best (chants were much simpler in those days) for the Hall of Fame.

This isn't a serious nomination (I've made mine) but Barry Fry did bring great excitement and some tremendous players to the Club. I know he was a bit treacherous but I think he got rid of our inferiority complex which had held the club back for a long time. When the Blues were in town (eg 4-1 at Millwall, trip to Fiorentina, big games v Cambridge,) the opposition knew about it. A short, bitter sweet, but exciting era - eclipsed by Tilson's achievements but still very good.

Are they having a laugh...useless lazy arsed ****!!

To be fair he did score 19 league goals in a very poor team under Little. That said, 20th is amazingly high.
People may disagree but Roget at No 10 stands out for me. Someone is having a laugh!

This isn't a serious nomination (I've made mine) but Barry Fry did bring great excitement and some tremendous players to the Club. I know he was a bit treacherous but I think he got rid of our inferiority complex which had held the club back for a long time. When the Blues were in town (eg 4-1 at Millwall, trip to Fiorentina, big games v Cambridge,) the opposition knew about it. A short, bitter sweet, but exciting era - eclipsed by Tilson's achievements but still very good.

Cant disagree with that. I have never known a greater buzz and excitment around the place than when he was in charge. 50 points in 28 league games in the 2nd tier is a staggering achievement. It would have been even more if for some reason we hadn't persisted with Howell and Bressington for a few games.

Im not sure if his name has already been said but i would like to nominate Leon Cort. He was playing when i started watching southend with my Dad and i thought he was a class defender. I was there when he scored those hattrick of headers!

Harold Halse????
Eddie Firmani????
Jimmy MaClinden????
Sandy Anderson????
Bob Jack????
Jack Cotton????
Chris Powell

Im not sure if his name has already been said but i would like to nominate Leon Cort. He was playing when i started watching southend with my Dad and i thought he was a class defender. I was there when he scored those hattrick of headers!

bless leon cort, but for his name to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the other names is laughable

It's time for the second round of nominations.

Rules and guidelines are here.
Ron Pountney however failed to garner enough votes

How many votes did Bill "garner"?

Billy Best for me. My first ever Blues game, April 18th 1969, was a 4-0 win over Swansea Town (as they were then known) and although Gary Moore scored a hat trick Best was brilliant and that memory has stayed with me ever since. We scored 106 goals in all competitions that season and Best got 31 of them including 10 in the F.A. Cup alone.

Back