• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Re David Crown

Yes he is. Considering the wide range of nominations in the 1st round, I was very surprised he didn't get 1 nomination (I dont think he did). In my opinion he is the 2nd best striker we have had (just shading Eastwood). He played 132 games so there shouldn't be any worries about longevity and scored at better than a goal every other game.

His biggest achievement was scoring 29 league goals in a relegation side. To score that amount is tremendous anyway but in a poor side is even better. He also played a massive part in keeping us up in 1987/88 and his goals fired us to promotion in 1989/90.

He also scored the best goal I have ever seen from a Southend player against Wigan in 1988, those that were there will know what I am talking about.
Also a great bloke and still supports the club.

Indeed! Also, he was about (or coming up to) 30 when he joined us, so his achievements with us were even more laudable as he was already in the 'twilight years' for a forward. This round of nominations though, my vote goes to a man who I was very fortunate to see when I were a lad... ladies & gentlemen, I give you... BILLY BEST!

updated...

Paul Sansome (2) - davewebbsbrain, streaky shrimper
Oliver Trigg (5) - Overseas Shrimper, Jonny O, dc80, bishmania Gt Yarmouth Shrimper
Leke Odunsi (1) - ldn fasto
David Webb (4) - Kent Shrimper, Bobby Greenburg , number 11, Libertine
Ron Pountney (6) - OBL , Firestorm, MK, canveyshrimper,shrimp and two veg,CsBoy
David Crown (2) - Southend Neil, Shrimpero
Frank Gill (2) - Irate Ian, Napster
Ricky Otto (1) - Pubey
Billy Best (3) - PAK, Cambridge Blue, Hawkell Blue
Leon Cort (1) - AdamThe Shrimper

Pountney, Trigg and Best and Webb will now all go forward for the second round of votes.

Nominations will stay open until the third round begins, so there's still plenty of time for Dave Webb to get that fifth nomination.you to get your nomination in if you haven't already done so.

Sammy, Crown and Gill are all on two nominations, but there are still plenty of worthy candidates who have still to receive a nomination (Dave Smith, Ian Benjamin, Alan Moody, Jimmy McAlinden etc)

Oliver Trigg (5) - Overseas Shrimper, Jonny O, dc80, bishmania Gt Yarmouth Shrimper
David Webb (5) - Kent Shrimper, Bobby Greenburg , number 11, Libertine, Brettie Angell
Ricky Otto (1) - Pubey
Billy Best (5) - PAK, Cambridge Blue, Hawkell Blue, Little Boy Blue, Shrimpero

Last edited:
Was just about to say has no-one nominated Billy Best. Whenever the old-timers speak about him, you can sense the reverence in their voices and the reception he got during our centenary celebrations was all I need to know about his Hall of Fame qualifications.

I'd love to hear some more stories about why Southend fans who were lucky enough to have seen him play hold him in such high regard.

Oliver Trigg (5) - Overseas Shrimper, Johnny O, dc80, bishmania Gt Yarmouth Shrimper
David Webb (3) - Kent Shrimper, Bobby Greenburg , number 11
David Crown (1) - Southend Neil
Ricky Otto (1) - Pubey
Billy Best (1) - PAK

Because he was a goalscorer extraodinaire. Poacher in the style of Jimmy Greaves, always sniffing out the chances in an around the box, ghost past a defender and watch the net ripple. No more complicated than that.

my nomination is for frank gill, for all the unpaid work he did for the fans and the club.

Exactly right Shrimpfan, from someone who would know a Stalwart.

He was happy just to get free admission to see the team as the only return for his efforts.

He was a member of bowling club and an Officer of Essex County Bowling Association. All unpaid and you just don;t get that many volunteers these days.

updated...

David Webb (4) - Kent Shrimper, Bobby Greenburg , number 11, Libertine
Ricky Otto (1) - Pubey
Billy Best (3) - PAK, Cambridge Blue, Hawkell Blue

Thanks, Jonny- but despite my plaudits for Crownie, I nominated Billy Best. But then again, thinking about that 96th minute equaliser the other night...

Pountney, Trigg and Best and Webb will now all go forward for the second round of votes.

Nominations will stay open until the third round begins, so there's still plenty of time for Dave Webb to get that fifth nomination.you to get your nomination in if you haven't already done so.

Sammy, Crown and Gill are all on two nominations, but there are still plenty of worthy candidates who have still to receive a nomination (Dave Smith, Ian Benjamin, Alan Moody, Jimmy McAlinden etc)

David Webb (5) - Kent Shrimper, Bobby Greenburg , number 11, Libertine, Brettie Angell
Ricky Otto (1) - Pubey

I nominated Billy Best! Please can you amend, YB. Ta...

Last edited:
I nominated Billy Best! Please can you amend, YB. Ta...

David Crown (1) - Southend Neil,
Frank Gill (3) - Irate Ian, Napster, shrimpfan
Ricky Otto (1) - Pubey

Alan Moody. The best penalty taker to ever grace the club and 400+ appearances.

If I had another vote this would be my clubman/stalwart after: Frank Gill - who I suspect put in at least 900 - 1,000 home appearances - maybe more and the club may be able to help us here ?

Last edited:
Back