• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
It's time for the second round of nominations.

Rules and guidelines are here. Basically each poster gets one nomination per round, so use your nomination wisely, and individuals need five nominations to go forward to a ballot.

So far Chris Powell and Sid Broomfield have been elected, with Stan Collymore just waiting for the ballot to officially close to join them. Ron Pountney however failed to garner enough votes (a victim of the vote being held over the Christmas period?) and will surely be amongst the favourites to be nominated this time round, where I'm expecting a strong campaign (hint, hint) to be mounted for his inclusion.

Dave Webb was only one nomination away last time, whilst the legendary Billy Best was only two nominations short.

Ladies and gentlemen, your nominations please.

I nominate Mr Oliver Trigg. How can he not have a place in the hall of fame? The man who is credited as leading the way to Southend United's very existence. Without Mr Oliver Trigg, we wouldn't be reading this thread, using this website, watching the greatest football team to ever grace the planet.

I emplore the good people of Shrimperzone to vote for the man who fathered SUFC without delay.

I nominate Mr Oliver Trigg. How can he not have a place in the hall of fame? The man who is credited as leading the way to Southend United's very existence. Without Mr Oliver Trigg, we wouldn't be reading this thread, using this website, watching the greatest football team to ever grace the planet.

I emplore the good people of Shrimperzone to vote for the man who fathered SUFC without delay.

Seconded. Oliver Trigg for the Hall of Fame.

Excellent call OS.

Oliver Trigg (2) - Overseas Shrimper, Johnny O
Leke Odunsi (1) - ldn fasto

...poor Spinner, he should be next in the Hall of Fame

I think he becomes Hall of Fame eligible at the end of this season.

Dang.

Can he go in the "soon to be elligible file" then?

No problem.

In the mean time there are plenty of other worthy candidates to nominate. Oliver Trigg, already mentioned, founded the club. Ronnie Pountney, made over 300 appearances for the club, was voted three times player of the season and played in all but two of our legendary 1980-81 title winning season. Dave Webb was the manager who masterminded our double promotion seasons of 89/90 and 90/91, including that historic first promotion to the second tier of English football. Billy Best scored over 100 league goals. Alan Moody made over 500 appearances - the most for the club - and was a member of that first ever title winning squad. Ian Benjamin helped guide us from division 4 to the 2nd division, missing only one game in the process, and scoring that goal at Bury. Mervyn Cawston the record-breaking keeper who set all those records with the 1980-81 team, or Paul Sansome the keeper for the 89-91 consecutive promotions or his successor Simon Royce, whose brilliance kept us in the 2nd tier, inspired us to beat Wet Sham and pulled off probably the greatest ever save by a Southend keeper against Edinho of Bradford and later went onto set a premier$hite record for longest without conceding. Jimmy McAlinden, the Northern Ireland international was reputedly one of the club's greatest ever players and graced a Southend shirt over 200 times in the late 40s and 50s. Dave Smith masterminded our first league title. David Crown, Richard Cadette and Brett Angell were all popular top-scorers.

How about Robert Maxwell?

Helped his mate Vic Jobson bail out a club whose pension money had been pinched by a shady character by using money that he pinched from another pension fund?

Is David Crown allowed? I think he still works for the club on matchdays.

I've got no idea if he does still do the Blues Lounge or whatever it is, or what sort of arrangement he has with the club. I'm therefore going to rule that assisting the club on matchdays (whether it is glad-handing in Executive Boxes or selling programmes) won't make someone ineligible providing that they only do it on a part-time basis and that it isn't the main thing that they are famous for.

Is he your nomination?

Back