• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can't argue too much with the Crown choice - his 0.5227 goals per game is slightly superior to Roy's 0.5192. However, he only scored 69 goals in his Blues career - I'll stick with my boy Roy and his 135.

And i cant argue with the Roysters 135 goals, I suppose i have first hand evidence of DC and none of Roy.

A good shout - a very important goal (one of 72 scored for the Blues in 182 appearances). As I've gone statto anorak bonkers this afternoon, I was interested in seeing who had the best goals per game ratio of our top 20 goal getters.

The top three are:

Jimmy Shankly - 100 goals in 152 games (0.6579 goals per game)
Albert Wakefield - 69 goals in 119 games (0.5798 goals per game)

You will no doubt have guessed that those first two would be up there, but who's heard of this lad at number three?

Freddy Eastwood - 49 goals in 86 games (0.5698 goals per game)

It's tempting at times to forget about Freddy's achievements and his amazing (and regular) goals, and think about his last few months at SUFC and his relative failure to thrive elsewhere, but this man was more responsible than anyone for Blues' successive promotions. When I read these comments saying 'I wouldn't want him back', I am absolutely stunned.

Excellent stattage.

For me Eastwood is a complete no-brainer once he becomes eligible, not just for his goal ratio, his ability on the ball, but for two consecutive promotions in which he was the best player in the side. The win v Man U doesn't do him any harm either.

The other strikers are, for me, more marginal selections. The likes of Angell, Crown, Cadette, Phillips (who were all in a row) and going further back Hollis, Shankley and Wakefield were undoubtedly good servants, but do they have that little bit extra to be elected to the Hall of Fame?

I don't think you can have all of Angell, Crown, Cadette and Phillips in there (there isn't room), so how do you distinguish between them? I expect their goal statistics are all pretty similar (haven't checked them yet) - maybe Cadette had the edge there, but Crown was my first favourite player and Angell has probably more historic importance and performed at a higher level. Phillips was too early for me.

I think those four should be easy enough to compare as they were in pretty similar era, however back in Hollis and Shankley's day, goals were far easier to come by. Do you need to adjust the figures to count for the cultural shifts in the game and the other four operating in a more defensive orientated era?

David Crown (5) - Shrimpero; David Icke; sufctommy, Southend Neil, Kent shrimper
Ricky Otto (5) - hindle666; farmerfossett, Pubey, silencer,hannah
Alan Moody (5) - ACU; OBL; canveyshrimper; PAK; Gt Yarmouth Shrimper
Roy Hollis (2) - Rusty Shackleford; SUFC Forever
Brett Angell (1) - Suffolk Blue
Arthur Rowley (2) - firestorm, manor15
Frank Banks (1) - Dave Smiths Love Child
Steve Phillips (1) - shrimp and two veg
Derek Hall (1) - Tarquin Fauntleroy
Paul Clark (1) - Ldnfatso
Paul Sansome (1) Moridin

dont normally post but had to for my best ever player!

Derek Spence. Liked his hair. And the fact we spent big money, on an international stiker too, that seemed quite exciting at the time. Whenever I think of good times following Southend United, his goals and hair immediately springs to mind.

Flair players are rarely as consistant as Ricky was for us, so he gets my vote this time around:

David Crown (5) - Shrimpero; David Icke; sufctommy, Southend Neil, Kent shrimper
Ricky Otto (6) - hindle666; farmerfossett, Pubey, silencer,hannah, Rowh.... ,
Paul Sansome (1) Moridin

David Crown (6) - Shrimpero; David Icke; sufctommy, Southend Neil, Kent shrimper, BarnaBlue
Paul Sansome (1) Moridin

Flair players are rarely as consistant as Ricky was for us, so he gets my vote this time around:

Paul Sansome (1) Moridin

spot on mate how many other wingers in our history scored 15+ a season consistantly......and how many assists

spot on mate how many other wingers in our history scored 15+ a season consistantly......and how many assists

Not denigrating Otto as he as an exciting player in a team that Fry led us to believe could get us to the Premier League before he jumped ship, But his stats for Southend were 17 goals from 63 games, hardly 15 goals a season consistently. If you want a winger who did score regularly look no further than Colin Morris who thus far has barely registered in the HOF.

Not denigrating Otto as he as an exciting player in a team that Fry led us to believe could get us to the Premier League before he jumped ship, But his stats for Southend were 17 goals from 63 games, hardly 15 goals a season consistently. If you want a winger who did score regularly look no further than Colin Morris who thus far has barely registered in the HOF.

Ah, Nookie Bear - remember him well! Great player, we could certainly do with some goals from his area now.

If you are looking for a winger worthy of the HOF, look no further than Terry Johnson - a player of such stature and charisma that even this season he was still getting name-checked on TV.

If you are looking for a winger worthy of the HOF, look no further than Terry Johnson - a player of such stature and charisma that even this season he was still getting name-checked on TV.

And, yes, I admit it...I was one of those irritating 10-11 year olds with rattles in the West Stand singing that chorus of ''We've got Terry Terry Terry Johnson on the wing, on the wing...'' :)

And, yes, I admit it...I was one of those irritating 10-11 year olds with rattles in the West Stand singing that chorus of ''We've got Terry Terry Terry Johnson on the wing, on the wing...'' :)

Just going offf :offtopic: but if you were 10-11 in '71 I'm older than you.. :scared::doh:

Out of interest, was their any reason for deciding the individual votes on players for HOF would be public polls? I cant help think some people may be put off registering a negative vote if it's public?

Otto was a class act , no doubt, in all competitions he scored 19 from 75 games , worthy of the HOF though ?

Of other recent wingers ,
Martin Ling (36 from 136) Tilson (31 from 275) Colin Morris (30 from 156) Terry Johnson (38 from 170) scored more.
Peter Taylor (13 from 78) Julian Hails (7 from 158) Garry Nelson (18 from 106) Mark Gower (16 from 100) all made more appearances, Mind you so did Carl Pettefer and Adrian Clarke !

Otto was a class act , no doubt, in all competitions he scored 19 from 75 games , worthy of the HOF though ?

Martin Ling (36 from 136) Tilson (31 from 275) Colin Morris (30 from 156) Terry Johnson (38 from 170) scored more.
Peter Taylor (13 from 78) Julian Hails (7 from 158) Garry Nelson (18 from 106) Mark Gower (16 from 100) all made more appearances, Mind you so did Carl Pettefer and Adrian Clarke !

Personally Id class Andy Ansah has having been more influential (two promotions) on Southend. Injuries made him less effective in his final few years but as class as Otto was, I just cant view him as a HOF'er.

Otto was a great flare player but not a HoF player in my opinion.

Back