• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

David Crown (6) - Shrimpero; David Icke; sufctommy, Southend Neil, Kent shrimper, BarnaBlue
Ricky Otto (6) - hindle666; farmerfossett, Pubey, silencer,hannah, Rowh.... ,
Alan Moody (5) - ACU; OBL; canveyshrimper; PAK; Gt Yarmouth Shrimper
Roy Hollis (3) - Rusty Shackleford; SUFC Forever; Napster
Brett Angell (1) - Suffolk Blue
Arthur Rowley (2) - firestorm, manor15
Frank Banks (1) - Dave Smiths Love Child
Steve Phillips (1) - shrimp and two veg
Derek Hall (1) - Tarquin Fauntleroy
Paul Clark (1) - Ldnfatso
Paul Sansome (1) Moridin

Otto was a class act , no doubt, in all competitions he scored 19 from 75 games , worthy of the HOF though ?

Of other recent wingers ,
Martin Ling (36 from 136) Tilson (31 from 275) Colin Morris (30 from 156) Terry Johnson (38 from 170) scored more.
Peter Taylor (13 from 78) Julian Hails (7 from 158) Garry Nelson (18 from 106) Mark Gower (16 from 100) all made more appearances, Mind you so did Carl Pettefer and Adrian Clarke !

Out of interest, was their any reason for deciding the individual votes on players for HOF would be public polls? I cant help think some people may be put off registering a negative vote if it's public?

I believe in transparency.

I'd hope people wouldn't be put off by votes being public. To vote against isn't to belittle a player, its to say he's (merely) very good. We're picking the elite here so we'll be voting against some very good players and I'd encourage people to vote against the merely very good players.

I think we've now elected most of the obvious choices, and the people now coming up are more marginal selections. I'd urge people to vote against someone if they felt they fell short of greatness. The benefit of the doubt goes against a nominee.

If you think Morris/Taylor/Ansah/Ling were better than Otto, when it comes to that poll, vote that Otto was merely very good and then explain your vote by saying you thought they were better, part of the idea behind it was to encourage this sort of conversation.

That is one of my concerns, there are only a few places left in the Hall of Fame, we have to be careful who we put in. And a no vote doesn't mean they weren't any good, it takes someone extra special to be a Hall of Famer, not just a mere legend or cult hero.

YB, what happens when the 12 places in the HoF are full? is that it or will a limited number of new places be released each year?

I'm just concerned the Hof will fill up before Spencer Prior becomes eligible.

Last edited:
Arthur Rowley
The First manager in the clubs history (50 years in the league at that point) to gain promotion He Also holds the record for the greatest number of career goals in The Football League, 434 from 619 games and was shortlisted for inclusion into the English Football Hall of Fame in 2008

You've convinced me Firestorm. A nomination for Arthur Rowley here.

David Crown (6) - Shrimpero; David Icke; sufctommy, Southend Neil, Kent shrimper, BarnaBlue
Ricky Otto (6) - hindle666; farmerfossett, Pubey, silencer,hannah, Rowh.... ,
Alan Moody (5) - ACU; OBL; canveyshrimper; PAK; Gt Yarmouth Shrimper
Roy Hollis (3) - Rusty Shackleford; SUFC Forever; Napster
Brett Angell (1) - Suffolk Blue
Arthur Rowley (3) - firestorm, manor15, Jonny O
Frank Banks (1) - Dave Smiths Love Child
Steve Phillips (1) - shrimp and two veg
Derek Hall (1) - Tarquin Fauntleroy
Paul Clark (1) - Ldnfatso
Paul Sansome (1) Moridin

That is one of my concerns, there are only a few places left in the Hall of Fame, we have to be careful who we put in. And a no vote doesn't mean they weren't any good, it takes someone extra special to be a Hall of Famer, not just a mere legend or cult hero.

YB, what happens when the 12 places in the HoF are full? is that it or will a limited number of new places be released each year?

I'm just concerned the Hof will fill up before Spencer Prior becomes eligible.

Which is why I suggested earlier on, maybe we ought to be looking at a "hall" for players and a separate "room" of some description for those whose parts have been played off the field. Freddy is one who also ought to be considered when eligible.

I'm just concerned the Hof will fill up before Spencer prior becomes eligible.

The twelve places was fixed to try and help establish a bar or standard against which we can then judge candidates.

I haven't yet decided exactly what will happen once the initial 12 have been selected, but the HoF will be expanded in some way as it would clearly be nonsensical to not allow any future players in.

Is Spencer Prior eligible yet?

Not yet. End of the season I think.

Which is why I suggested earlier on, maybe we ought to be looking at a "hall" for players and a separate "room" of some description for those whose parts have been played off the field. Freddy is one who also ought to be considered when eligible.

I think Freddy also becomes eligible at the end of the season, as that will have been two seasons.

The Hall of Fame is to honour those who have played a considerable part, no matter in what role, in the club's history. For some it would be too difficult to distinguish between their on-field and off-field contributions. It is therefore preferable to have just one HoF where their entire contribution can be considered.

Back