• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
It's time for the third round of nominations.

Rules and guidelines are here. Basically each poster gets one nomination per round, so use your nomination wisely, and individuals need five nominations to go forward to a ballot.

So far Chris Powell, Sid Broomfield, Stan Collymore, Ron Pountney, Oliver Trigg, Frank Gill, Billy Best and David Webb have all been nominated.

Last time out Paul Sansome got 3 nominations, Alan Moody 2 with the likes of Otto, Crown and Hollis on one nomination.

The likes of Paul Clark, Richard Cadette and Brett Angell might also feature, they all received two nominations first time round but didn't get a single nomination in round two. Goalkeepers Mervyn Cawston and Simon Royce also got a nomination in round one but none in round two.

The likes of Ian Benjamin, Jimmy McAlinden, Jimmy Evans, Sandy Anderson, Jimmy Shankly, Harry Warren and Ted Birnie might also come under consideration.

So ladies and gentlemen, once more your nominations please.

Last edited:
Is it the second or third round of nominations? :P Attention to detail, Cousin Weir (I can imagine your girlfriend saying that to you!) ;)

David Crown- his 17 goals in a struggling side from Nov. 87-May '88 kept us in Div. 3, whilst his ongoing good form helped get us back up in 1990, all this as a forward in the twilight of his career...

Last edited:
David Crown (2) - Shrimpero, David Icke
Ricky Otto (1) - hindle666

Last edited:
David Crown gets my nomination. Excelled at beating three defenders and smashing it in from 20 yards.

Wasn't Tilly discounted atm because he's still here? I think the older players will always suffer here because there's hardly anyone around who can vouch for them, with the likes mom players like of Oliver Trigg and Frank Gill, it's different. Not the most charismatic of players but have gone with ACU's nomination for Alan Moody, although sorely tempted by Paul Clarke

David Crown (3) - Shrimpero; David Icke; sufctommy
Alan Moody (2) - ACU; OBL

Last edited:
Arthur Rowley
The First manager in the clubs history (50 years in the league at that point) to gain promotion He Also holds the record for the greatest number of career goals in The Football League, 434 from 619 games and was shortlisted for inclusion into the English Football Hall of Fame in 2008

Hmm tricky, I'm tempted to go for a goalkeeper this time round.

Either Paul Sansom or Charlie Cotton (keeper from 1906-1910 when he died aged 30)

Not sure yet.

Arthur Rowley
The First manager in the clubs history (50 years in the league at that point) to gain promotion He Also holds the record for the greatest number of career goals in The Football League, 434 from 619 games and was shortlisted for inclusion into the English Football Hall of Fame in 2008

Good shout, although I think his playing record possibly overshadows his managerial one! We've actually had some fantastic managers, Dave Smith's another contender. Maybe we should have a "corridor" of fame for hierarchy and keep the "hall" for players?! :D

David Crown (4) - Shrimpero; David Icke; sufctommy, Southend Neil
Alan Moody (3) - ACU; OBL; canveyshrimper

2nd best striker we have had in my time. 65 goals in 2 1/2 years. His goals fired us to promotion in 1990 which of course laid the foundations for our history making season the following year. He scored the best goal I have seen from a Blues player (v Wigan) and his most amazing achievement was to score 29 league teams in a relegation side.

When nominating please add your name to the list below, it makes it a lot easier to keep track that way.

David Crown (3) - Shrimpero; David Icke; sufctommy
Ricky Otto (2) - hindle666; farmerfossett
Brett Angell (1) - manor15
Arthur Rowley (1) - firestorm

I will repeat my vote from the second round and encourage others to support the nomination of Roy Hollis. This man is Southend United's all-time leading goalscorer, with 135 goals in 260 games - better than a goal every other game. Billy Best scored 123 goals in 246 games, so Roy has more goals at a better strike rate than Billy, and yet Billy is already enshrined whilst Roy has a single nomination.

Roy Hollis wasn't blessed with sublime skills, and had an awkward gait (though not absurd) and appearance that saw him christened 'Gormless Hollis' by some of the Southend faithful. But he got himself in the right places at the right times and used his talents to become Southend's greatest ever goalscorer - a record that is unlikely to ever be broken. Our past experiences with Stan and Freddy show that any prolific striker we have is likely to be sold on quickly to a 'bigger' club. So join me and nominate Roy Hollis - 135 goals in a Blue shirt deserves inclusion in this Hall of Fame.

David Crown (4) - Shrimpero; David Icke; sufctommy, Southend Neil
Ricky Otto (2) - hindle666; farmerfossett
Brett Angell (1) - manor15
Arthur Rowley (1) - firestorm
Roy Hollis (1) - Rusty Shackleford

Back