• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Clark for me. His impact on our club as both player and manager are deserving of a place in the hall of fame in my opinion - and he was one of the players I used to pretend to be in the school playground.

Dave Smith (2) - canveyshrimper, callan
Paul Sansome (2) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly
Shaun Goater (1) - manor15
David Jack (1) - FarmerFossett
Paul Clark (3) - The Big Shrimp,CS Boy, Libertine
Leo Roget (1) - Bobby Greenberg

I know the majority of people who post on this board would:
Not have seen him (me included) or
Even heard of him

But I nominate David Jack former England Captain, Southend Player (I believe he played a couple of games) and our Manager 1934 - 1940. He was also the first player to score at Wembleyin the 1923 FA Cup Final. His father Bob Jack was our first Manager from 1906-1910!

From what I have read if anyone associated with SUFC deserves to be a legend this man surely should be front runner!!

There's a plaque on his childhood home in Hamlet Court Road.

Dave Smith (3) - canveyshrimper, callan, OBL
Paul Sansome (2) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly
Paul Clark (3) - The Big Shrimp, CS Boy, Libertine

Really hard decision, went with Dave Smith because he was manager when football became a major focal point for me, with some massive games played during that era, and brought in some fantastic players as well as making some really big steps along the PR and involvement in the community roads. Paul Clark is an equally deserving nominee though - Spinner and Freddy become eligible at the end of the season too, space is getting a bit tight in there.

I cannot believe that nobody has nominated or even mentioned my all time SUFC hero Sam McCrory, who not only scored many goals for us but remains the record goalscorer for a season (33 I think) AND played for(AND SCORED )for Northern Ireland against England at Wembley in a 3-2 win for NI!! Incidentally, I sat at school next to his son Damien. They were a nice family.

I would like to nominate Paul Sansome again!

Real rock solid keeper, Mr Dependable as YB said in his opening.

A 1-on-1 save at Roots Hall against Palace sticks in my mind, when Chris Armstrong was on fire. As soon as Armstrong was in the clear, you just knew he would make the save.

Those were the days!

Paul Sansome (3) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly, Moridin

Shaun Goater (2) - manor15, Napster

Did I read the first post right and Alan moody didn't get in ?

if thats the case i would like to re-nominate him

Don't think that's quite right, the poll is still open so as long as he meets the requirements - which seems likely - he'll be in. That's the way I understand it anyway.

Up to date list, can we copy and paste it on please?

Paul Clark (4) - The Big Shrimp, CS Boy, Libertine, Shrimpero

Last edited:
Spencer Prior will be eligible in the summer.. bring it on!

Amen to that brother.

David Jack

I'll add your vote as everyone else seems to have ignored it.

I like the sound of that David Jack bloke (i'll read up on him in my blues books at home tonight). But with Sammy the closest he's been to being nominated, I'm going for him.

Paul Sansome (4) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly, Moridin, Drastic Sturgeon
David Jack (2) - FarmerFossett, seenyeva

Amen to that brother.

I'll add your vote as everyone else seems to have ignored it.

I like the sound of that David Jack bloke (i'll read up on him in my blues books at home tonight). But with Sammy the closest he's been to being nominated, I'm going for him.

Youve missed my vote for the Goat!

Your wish is my command.

Has to be our greatest manager Dave Smith ( Forget stats its a different game and era today)
Could someone add me to the above board for Dave Smith

I cannot believe that nobody has nominated or even mentioned my all time SUFC hero Sam McCrory, who not only scored many goals for us but remains the record goalscorer for a season (33 I think) AND played for(AND SCORED )for Northern Ireland against England at Wembley in a 3-2 win for NI!! Incidentally, I sat at school next to his son Damien. They were a nice family.

I think Jimmy Shankley scored the most in a single season with 35. McCrory is, I think in second place with 33. Still, that is a mighty impressive effort and as you say, he is one of the few internationals we've had at Roots Hall.

Am I right in thinking that McCrory partnered Hollis up front? How did those two compare? With Hollis also receiving nominations they could be going head to head.

Did I read the first post right and Alan moody didn't get in ?

if thats the case i would like to re-nominate him

Technically the vote is still open and enough people could vote to bring his margin down below 90%. I can't see that happening though.

Here's a question for those nominating Jack: have you got the right one? Was Bob more influential at Southend (David was obviously more influential in football)? Bob was our first ever manager "who was a highly influential figure in the early days whose financial acumen and scouting did more than anything to help United survive the early traumas" (Southend United: The official history of the Blues). Under Bob Jack we won 2 titles (albeit only the Southern League Division 2), whereas under David Jack the highest we finished was 10th (albeit Div3S). Add in David Jack being part of Bob Jack's legacy, and is the more important Jack, Bob?

Here's a question for those nominating Jack: have you got the right one? Was Bob more influential at Southend (David was obviously more influential in football)? Bob was our first ever manager "who was a highly influential figure in the early days whose financial acumen and scouting did more than anything to help United survive the early traumas" (Southend United: The official history of the Blues). Under Bob Jack we won 2 titles (albeit only the Southern League Division 2), whereas under David Jack the highest we finished was 10th (albeit Div3S). Add in David Jack being part of Bob Jack's legacy, and is the more important Jack, Bob?

Bob Jack is certainly the fellow I've already read about, until now I hadn't known that his son was involved with the Blues though. Bob Jack was player-manager wasn't he? Up front I think. Also from that era Harold Halse and the goalkeeper Cotton should be considered.

Dave Smith (4) - canveyshrimper, callan, OBL, Dave Smith's Love Child

Back