• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dave Smith (5) - canveyshrimper, callan, OBL, Dave Smith's Love Child; suffolk blue
Paul Sansome (5) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly, Moridin, Drastic Sturgeon; GlasgowSUFC
Shaun Goater (2) - manor15, Napster
David Jack (2) - FarmerFossett, seenyeva
Paul Clark (4) - The Big Shrimp, CS Boy, Libertine, Shrimpero
Leo Roget (1) - Bobby Greenberg

Bob Jack is certainly the fellow I've already read about, until now I hadn't known that his son was involved with the Blues though. Bob Jack was player-manager wasn't he? Up front I think. Also from that era Harold Halse and the goalkeeper Cotton should be considered.

David Jack was the player manager I think, his dad bob was one of our earliest league managers and got his son in at the twilight of his career.

David Jack was the worlds most expensive footballer when he moved from Bolton to Arsenal

Yes, Sam McCrory did partner Roy Hollis up front but Sam was a much better footballer, skilful and wily, whereas Hollis was a bit clumsy but still managed to score a hatful of goals. I think his feet faced the wrong way and he confused defenders! I nominate Sam McCrory, he deserves it.

How on earth can anyone vote The Goat into a SUFC hall of fame when all he done was see out his career for one last season with us?
Admittedly, he weren't half a bad player but Christ, c'mon, over the heads of some that have been mentioned?

It has to be Sir Paul Clark of Viking Town, the boy bleeds blue!

Even now i'm not sure if Adam Barrett's not his son;)

Dave Smith (4) - canveyshrimper, callan, OBL, Dave Smith's Love Child
Paul Sansome (4) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly, Moridin, Drastic Sturgeon
Paul Clark (5) - The Big Shrimp, CS Boy, Libertine, Shrimpero, shrimp and two veg

How on earth can anyone vote The Goat into a SUFC hall of fame when all he done was see out his career for one last season with us?
Admittedly, he weren't half a bad player but Christ, c'mon, over the heads of some that have been mentioned?

Easy. His contribution was immense in leading us to our greatest achievement - the League One title. He scored against Col U and he talks more than Harris.

Oh and it helps I'm reading his autobiography at the moment.

:)

Easy. His contribution was immense in leading us to our greatest achievement - the League One title. He scored against Col U and he talks more than Harris.

Oh and it helps I'm reading his autobiography at the moment.

:)

Sigh, it's almost as wrong as Leo Roget:stunned:

Still, each to their own eh!

I'm definitely going for Sansome

Paul Sansome (5) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly, Moridin, Drastic Sturgeon, Monkwell
Paul Clark (5) - The Big Shrimp, CS Boy, Libertine, Shrimpero, shrimp and two veg

Nuffink! it's been done.

Last edited:
Paul Clark this time for me.
Think we should be careful not to have too many nominations/ votes. Original idea was to have about 12 in the Hall of Fame. We already have 9 (incl Alan moody) with Tilson/Freddy/Ron(if he gets the new stadium) as future definites.

Paul Sansome (6) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly, Moridin, Drastic Sturgeon, GlasgowSUFC, Monkwell
Paul Clark (6) - The Big Shrimp, CS Boy, Libertine, Shrimpero, shrimp and two veg, PAK

Corrected. Monkwell & PAK, sure you don't want to nominate someone else? Your nominations already have the required 5 nominations to be put forward for the vote.

Last edited:
Think we should be careful not to have too many nominations/ votes. Original idea was to have about 12 in the Hall of Fame. We already have 9 (incl Alan moody) with Tilson/Freddy/Ron(if he gets the new stadium) as future definites.

I think YB has said in the past that it's an initial 12 and once we've filled that up he'll look at the possibilty of expanding it. Personally I'd like to see it eventually go up to 20, then use a one in, one out policy.

Hopefully Tilly won't be eligible for a longtime!

And bearing in mind some people's views on here I don't think Ron would be a shoe in even if he did get the stadium built!

The HoF is an initial 12 only. It will expand in time (so I wouldn't worry too much about there being room for the likes of Tilly and Freddy) as I hope there are many more individuals who will go onto have Hall of Fame careers at Southend. It would be presumptive to close it to newcomers as the club's history continues (I hope!) to evolve.

The point about the initial 12 is to establish a standard. We've done that so far with the likes of Otto and Crown, both fine players and servants falling short. Once we have the 12 (or potentially fewer, if we decide that there are only 9, 10 or 11 in that very highest echelon of Shrimper history), they will be standard we'll judge new candidates against.

The HoF is an initial 12 only. It will expand in time (so I wouldn't worry too much about there being room for the likes of Tilly and Freddy) as I hope there are many more individuals who will go onto have Hall of Fame careers at Southend. It would be presumptive to close it to newcomers as the club's history continues (I hope!) to evolve.

The point about the initial 12 is to establish a standard. We've done that so far with the likes of Otto and Crown, both fine players and servants falling short. Once we have the 12 (or potentially fewer, if we decide that there are only 9, 10 or 11 in that very highest echelon of Shrimper history), they will be standard we'll judge new candidates against.

That's kind of reassuring, makes me wonder if, in time, we'll have two alongside each other, one for players, one for non players - and like a Venn diagram, Clarky and Tilly in the middle somewhere!

Roy Hollis (1) - Rusty Shackleford

Once again, our all time leading goalscorer deserves some consideration.

Dave Smith (5) - canveyshrimper, callan, OBL, Dave Smith's Love Child, Suffolk Blue
Paul Sansome (6) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly, Moridin, Drastic Sturgeon, Monkwell, GlaswgowSUFC
Roy Hollis (1) - Rusty Shackleford

Dave Smith (5) - canveyshrimper, callan, OBL, Dave Smith's Love Child, Suffolk Blue
Paul Sansome (6) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly, Moridin, Drastic Sturgeon, Monkwell, GlaswgowSUFC
Roy Hollis (2) - Rusty Shackleford, sufc forever
Sam McCrory (1) - Irenbird
Billy Goodwin (1) - ldnfatso

So Sammy up first, then Paul Clark and then Dave Smith. Will anyone else get enough nominations?

Still no-one has nominated McAlinden:'( or Benji :'(
The Angell and Cadette nominations have fallen away as well. presumably in light of the Crown vote.

Roy Hollis (3) - Rusty Shackleford, sufc forever, Hutton
Sam McCrory (1) - Irenbird
Billy Goodwin (1) - ldnfatso

Back