• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
It's time for the fourth round of nominations.

Rules and guidelines are here. Basically each poster gets one nomination per round, so use your nomination wisely, and individuals need five nominations to go forward to a ballot.

So far Chris Powell, Sid Broomfield, Stan Collymore, Ron Pountney, Oliver Trigg, Frank Gill, Billy Best, David Webb have all made it through, with Alan Moody all but joining them. Both David Crown and Ricky Otto received the 30 votes required, but fell short of the 90% majority needed. Will either be renominated again?

Also likely to feature are record goal-scorer Roy Hollis and er, record goal-scorer Arthur Rowley (although nominated for his managerial exploits as his goalscoring was elsewhere) who both received three nominations last time. Hollis has scored the most goals for the club, whilst Rowley was the first manager to guide us to promotion.

Might this be the round that the legendary Jimmy McAlinden finally gets a nomination? McAlinden was the star man during the late 40s and early 50s, when he guided the team to their highest finish in division 3 South.

With Alan Moody, the individual who has made the most appearances, just elected, might 2nd (Sandy Anderson), 3rd (Tony Bentley) and 5th (Paul Clark) join him and 4th place Ron Pountney? Anderson was a stalwart of the 50s, Bentley of the 60s and Clark of the 80s. Paul Clark didn't just make over 350 appearances, he also twice managed the club.

In addition to Clark as a manager, there's Rowley as previously mentioned; Harry Warren, Southend's longest serving manager, who also helped the club survive the war; Ted Birnie who guided the club from 1922 to 1934; and Dave Smith, who won the club's first title.

Then there are the keepers: Simon Royce who starred at the highest level the club ever reached (and then went onto break the premiership clean sheet record); Paul Sansome, Mr Dependable in the consecutive promotions under HoFer Dave Webb; or Mervyn Cawston who set goalkeeping records that may never be broken at Roots Hall in helping the team to the 1980/81 title; or how about Harry Threadgold, a fixture in goal (unless there were floodlights!).

Ladies and gentlemen, your nominations please

Hmmm.... goalkeeper is a good shout, but Sammy or Roycie?

I'll nominate Paul Sansome who edges it for me please!

Come on you know the format!

Dave Smith (1) - canveyshrimper
Paul Sansome (1) - MK Shrimper
Shaun Goater (1) - manor15

Whilst i understand the rules and regs for this YB surely surely surely an exception must be made for Sir Steve Tilson .. as mentioned elsewhere recently he has been involved in more SUFC games than any other person in history, was voted our favourite ever player not so long ago, and is (arguably) our most successful manager

Bend the rules to allow Steve Tilson to be nominated ... please

I know the majority of people who post on this board would:
Not have seen him (me included) or
Even heard of him

But I nominate David Jack former England Captain, Southend Player (I believe he played a couple of games) and our Manager 1934 - 1940. He was also the first player to score at Wembleyin the 1923 FA Cup Final. His father Bob Jack was our first Manager from 1906-1910!

From what I have read if anyone associated with SUFC deserves to be a legend this man surely should be front runner!!

Whilst i understand the rules and regs for this YB surely surely surely an exception must be made for Sir Steve Tilson .. as mentioned elsewhere recently he has been involved in more SUFC games than any other person in history, was voted our favourite ever player not so long ago, and is (arguably) our most successful manager

Bend the rules to allow Steve Tilson to be nominated ... please

Nope, he remains a future first-ballot Hall of Famer. This is non-negotiable.

Dave Smith (2) - canveyshrimper, callan
Paul Sansome (2) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly
David Jack (1) - FarmerFossett
Paul Clark (1) - The Big Shrimp
Leo Roget (1) - Bobby Greenberg

Last edited:
I started supporting Southend United when Sammy was in goal. Being in the North Bank and having Sammy in front of us was always a big buzz. He made some great saves, always seemed to make them look spectacular and had some real good banter with the fans. 'ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it's Sammy' is still one of my favourite chants.

I have only good memories of Sammy, and he gets my vote.

Paul Sansome for me please.

I would like to nominate Roy Hollis. He is still our all time leading goalscorer and that alone should be enough to endorse his nomination.

Dave Smith (2) - canveyshrimper, callan
Paul Sansome (2) - MK Shrimper, SportBilly
David Jack (1) - FarmerFossett
Paul Clark (2) - The Big Shrimp,CS Boy
Leo Roget (1) - Bobby Greenberg

Paul Clark Southend legend, two long playing spells at the club and two spells a player manager taking over in mid-season and steering us to promotion then keeping us up and a famous win in the League Cup against Derby. Also a local lad, sadly haven't been to many really decent local players but the Vikings was.

Back