• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SZ's Southend United Hall of Fame - 5th round of nominations

McAlinden for me.

This, from a Pompey site:

A few days after joining The Shrimpers in October 1948 McAlinden gained his final Northern Ireland cap (the first awarded to a post-War Southend player) in a 6-2 defeat to England at Windsor Park. With a total of 7 international caps and a having played in all wartime internationals for Ireland (although they did not count as caps) Jimmy hung up his international boots.

Despite joining the Shrimpers at the age of 30, McAlinden still had something to offer. It was said that his range of passing was beyond anything seen before or since at Southend which invariably led to a number of 'bigger clubs' chasing his signature once again - At that time in his career however, they were rejected as Jimmy joked that he "would never consider a move sideways!"

An attempt was made to bring McAlinden back to Pompey for a third time in 1950 but the move ran into problems when Directors Vernon Stokes and Harry Wain were suspended over irregularities. Jimmy himself was later caught up in controversy after it was alleged that he received illegal payments during his second spell with Pompey - As a result he too was suspended; for the first two months of the 1950-51 season.

In spite of the suspension McAlinden served Southend as club captain and became something of a cult hero among Shrimpers fans and to this day is remembered as being possibly the best player ever to play for the club.

By the early-mid 1950s McAlinden was in the last years of his playing career and began to look to the future and whilst still playing for Southend he started taking coaching courses at Loughborough College in the hope that one day he would turn his hand to management

In April 1954 Jimmy accepted the position of player-manager at Glenavon and made his last home appearance for Southend United in a 4-1 win over QPR. In a memorable send-off, Harry Warren the Southend manager led the crowd in three cheers and loud applause as 'Jimmy Mac' left the field for the final time.

Interesting stuff & a good find. Thanks.

Blimey, controversial one that, wish you well! Did Dave Smith make it in or is he another facing re-nomination?

No I will make others see the light !!!

Can I nominate a true Shrimper through playing,coaching,managing and outside the club for his work with the kids, I give you the one and only Frank Banks.

We should name a stand after him in our FF venture, couldnot go to a more decent person

As ever I would like to nominate Roy Hollis and I will keep doing this until he does eventually take his much deserved place in the HOF.

I'll second Frankie Banks - surely he has all of the attributes necessary to get into the HoF. His playing time, his subsequent involvement with the club etc.

:p although I did quite like Jay Smith as it goes, he's not quite up to the legend standard of the wonderful Mr David Smith!
Saving my vote for Spinner but next round my vote shall go to Jay Smith! Personal really, made his homs debut and scored at my first game, met him a few times and was a lovely bloke but unlike most footballers was quite quiet. After being released by Notts County he is now a free agent. Aston Villa, then us, Oxford on loan, Notts County are his old clubs.

Prior (2): manor15, pubey
Clark (4): ACU, Shrimpero, number11, BB
Jobson (1): fbm
McAlinden (1): Napster
Hollis (1): SUFC forever
Banks (1): SuffolkBlue

When you vote add your name to this list, or else it'll end up being left out

Hollis (2): SUFC forever, canveyshrimper
Banks (1): SuffolkBlue

Last edited:
Banks (2): Dave Smith's Love Child, SuffolkBlue

Prior (3): manor15, pubey, Drastic Sturgeon
Banks (2): Dave Smith's Love Child, SuffolkBlue

Banks (3): Dave Smith's Love Child, SuffolkBlue, Ldnfatso

I vote for Frankie Banks

I vote for Frankie Banks

What happened to your campaign for Leke Odunsi?

Prior (4): manor15, pubey, Drastic Sturgeon,hindle 666

spinner for me

Prior (4): manor15, pubey, Drastic Sturgeon,hindle 666
Clark (5): ACU, Shrimpero, number11, BB, OBL

As promised, make mine Paul Clark's 5th nomination - interesting stuff on him and his influence on Spinner in the testimonial programme. An indication therefore that he should definitely be in ahead of Spinner.

Back