• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Alan Moody one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Next up for nomination is Alan Moody.

The last two nominees, David Crown and Ricky Otto look unlikely to make it into the Hall of Fame (at least on the first ballot), probably because their glittering Southend career's were deemed too short. That is unlikely to keep Alan Moody out.

In fact it is difficult to think of much that could keep Alan Moody out - a thought no doubt shared by opposing keepers facing his legendary penalties (he scored 24 out of 27).

Nobody in Southend United history has made more appearances than Alan Moody. Moody pulled on a Southend shirt an incredible 506 times. Sandy Anderson may have made six more league appearances, but Moody's cup exploits - he was at the heart of the team that famously held European Champions Liverpool goalless in 1979 and was ever present in the club's run to the 5th round in 1975/76 (a feat still to be surpassed) - means that he is the only man to have broken the 500 appearance barrier for the club.

A ball-boy in the England v Argentina world cup game in 1966, Moody was signed from Middlesbrough by Arthur Rowley for £15,000 in 1972. Southend under Rowley had just achieved the club's first ever promotion and flush with cash from having sold Bill Garner to Chelsea, but with 8 defeats in their first 13 games back in division 3, Rowley invested wisely in the young centre-half. He was an ever present for the rest of the season, and helped guide the team to mid-table safety as they only lost a further 11 games all season and finished 14th.

The next season Moody only missed two games (and he came on as sub in one of those) as Southend continued to consolidate in the third, finishing 12th. Moody grabbed his first of what was to be many goals for the club, and he finished with 6 goals for the season, a more than respectable return for a defender.

The following couple of seasons were more of a struggle as Southend finished 18th and then 23rd and were relegated. By now Moody had become Southend's penalty-taker, but even 10 goals that season, half from the spot including a run of 4 in 4 games, couldn't save Southend from the drop.

A further 7 goals the next season in division 4, helped the club to 10th place, but it was defensively that he excelled, as the team let in less than a goal a game to establish a new club record. The defensive record was even better the following season, and helped propel the club to second place and only the club's second ever promotion. An ever-present on the teamsheet (5 years into his Southend career he had missed just 7 games) he was once more a regular on the scoresheet, notching 9 goals.

On the back of an once more strong defence, he helped consolidate Southend's position in the third tier once more, as the club finished 13th. The season was however dominated by the cup heroics against Liverpool, as Moody and Hadley shut out of the game the legendary Kenny Dalglish with a performance manager Dave Smith described as "truly magnificent" to earn the Shrimpers a highly creditable replay.

This being the yo-yo years, the stay in the third was shortlived, and although in the cup we took the Hamster scum to two replays in the third round (we've only once gone further), we finished 22nd and were relegated.

The disappointment of yet another relegation was quickly put behind us, as we produced one of our greatest seasons ever, to lift our first major silverware, the 4th division title. Whilst we won an incredible 30 out of 46 league games that season, the truly astonishing record was our defence, which conceded just 6 goals at home all season. Once more Moody was at the heart of that defence, although he played "only" 30 league games that season.

Back in division 3 and with Moody once more a regular at the back of a tight defence, Southend finished 7th, which still rates as one of our highest ever finishes.

By now Moody's Southend career was beginning to wind down and he played just half the games in the following two seasons, and Southend finished 15th and then 22nd and were relegated.

With over a decade's worth of service, Moody was rightly awarded a testimonial. In an era where crowds of under 2,000 at Roots Hall were not unheard of, over 6,000 - the biggest of the season - turned up to Roots Hall to wish him goodbye as he moved onto Maldon Town.

With over 500 appearances for the club, as a defender who helped set no fewer than three club records for fewest goals conceded in a season and who inspired his team to two promotions including the only trophy we won in our first 100 years, Moody has to be a fore-runner to reach the hall of fame.

Alan Moody
moody.gif

Southend United 1972-1984
Appearances 506 (444+2 league, 60 cup)
Goals 44 (41 league, 3 cup)
Promotions 2 (1977/78, 1980/81)
Relegations 3 (1975/76, 1979/80, 1983/84)
Honours: Division 4 champions 1980/81

I can't think why he wouldn't make it. I'm very likely to vote 'yes' here, but is there a flip side to be considered from those who saw Alan Moddy play?

A player from way before my time but after YB's excellent write up, which was very educational, I'm leaning strongly towards voting yes, but like Uxbridge would like to hear some first hand accounts of the man.

A complete no brainer for me.

I realise that many zoners would know very little about Alan Moody, but having witnessed his entire career at Roots Hall I can't think of a more deserving player.

no question....one of the true legends and heros for our club

One of my boyhood heroes was Moody, so he was obviously a good player!
This were the days when defenders were hard, proper like and it were a man's game and i can reliably inform you that Alan never mucked around going into a challenge!

Quite simply, a Southend legend.

Probably one of the best defenders I have seen at the club, and he would easily make my all time Blues XI. His longevity at the club is as stated second to none, and as YB has said in his excellent preamble a deadly penalty taker.

The 1980/81 Division 4 Championship season under Dave Smith was memorable. I remember the first home game of the season when the wonderfully named Neville Chamberlain scored for Port Vale, luckily we ran out 5-1 winners. This was the start of a home run where we didn't concede another home goal for something like another 10 games (the cup defeat to Hereford apart). In fact we won our first 15 home games in a row, an incredible and unsurpassed record. The end of the season saw the club lift it's first trophy in 75 years of trying, a feat we did not match until 25 years later.

He wasn't your usual hoof it lower league defender, but a skilled footballing defender who also played a number of games in midfield for the club. I think YB has covered his career very well in his piece particularly the cup games against Derby (twice), Liverpool & West Ham, and the fact he holds the all time SUFC appearance record.

The voting seems very much in his favour so far, so I'll appeal to SZ members who did not see Alan Moody to take the word of us old codgers and vote him into the HoF.

Thanks

Probably one of the best defenders I have seen at the club, and he would easily make my all time Blues XI. His longevity at the club is as stated second to none, and as YB has said in his excellent preamble a deadly penalty taker.

The 1980/81 Division 4 Championship season under Dave Smith was memorable. I remember the first home game of the season when the wonderfully named Neville Chamberlain scored for Port Vale, luckily we ran out 5-1 winners. This was the start of a home run where we didn't concede another home goal for something like another 10 games (the cup defeat to Hereford apart). In fact we won our first 15 home games in a row, an incredible and unsurpassed record. The end of the season saw the club lift it's first trophy in 75 years of trying, a feat we did not match until 25 years later.

He wasn't your usual hoof it lower league defender, but a skilled footballing defender who also played a number of games in midfield for the club. I think YB has covered his career very well in his piece particularly the cup games against Derby (twice), Liverpool & West Ham, and the fact he holds the all time SUFC appearance record.

The voting seems very much in his favour so far, so I'll appeal to SZ members who did not see Alan Moody to take the word of us old codgers and vote him into the HoF.

Thanks

Yep, us young 'uns will have to take your word for it, mate ;) ps well said, couldn't green rep ya, so this is the only way I could show my appreciation...

Last edited:
Alan Moody signed for Southend in my first season of watching Southend and he was still there 10 years later when I went away to Uni.
Through two relegations and two promotions, he was the one permanent element in the Southend team during my formative years.
As has been mentioned a very reliable penalty taker - he scored from the spot on what may have been Southend's only appearance on the old MoTD programme (1-1 away Watford 77/78).
Definitely gets my vote.

One of Dave Smiths wonder team, has to be 100 % yes and a worthy person to be in the Hall of fame, would be good to see Dave Cusack with him in there too

Bloody good thread this Hall of fame topic, courts much debate from the faithful

A key member of the side which won the title in 1980-81 - that was the year I started going. I was only 8 at the time so was more taken by forward play (Derek Spence was my first SUFC hero), but as I grew to appreciate the game, it was all about Super Alan Moody. A definite yes.

The club's record appearance holder has to be in the Hall of Fame!

I always thought Sandy Anderson was the main man on that score, but apparently Sandy only holds the most league appearances mark. Sandy surely worth a mention with Roy Hollis, Jimmy Mac and some of the other old stagers?

The club's record appearance holder has to be in the Hall of Fame!

I always thought Sandy Anderson was the main man on that score, but apparently Sandy only holds the most league appearances mark. Sandy surely worth a mention with Roy Hollis, Jimmy Mac and some of the other old stagers?

I don't think longevity alone is enough. However Moody was a part of a defence that set numerous records, when you combine longevity with excellence I think it's a pretty unanswerable case. He was the second name my old man mentioned after Billy Best when I quizzed him about the old-timers.

Glad to see Jimmy MacAlinden get a mention. He's described as "must surely have been Southend's greatest ever player" in the Official History and John Woodcock apparently always named him as the best he's even seen.

Back