• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Alan Moody one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
so glad hes been put in. when i joined last week it was one of the first questions i asked"is alan moody in the hall of fame" youve all said most of what needs to be said, but win loose or draw, i never heard anyone say that moody had a bad game. a tower of strength. and a much greater servant to united than many of the forwards

Last edited:
Gets my vote too. I hit 49 today, and started watching the Blues pretty regularly at the start of the seventies, so I guess that makes me an old codger... Aargh!!! He was very sound.....

Gets my vote too. I hit 49 today, and started watching the Blues pretty regularly at the start of the seventies, so I guess that makes me an old codger... Aargh!!! He was very sound.....

49? P'shaw! Young whippersnapper!

:cricko:

He left us just as I was starting my life as a Southend supporter so can't comment on him as a player from seeing him play first hand. However just putting him in the context of our history with the record appearences, playing in a title winning side and being part of a team that almost beat the great Liverpool team (one of the best club sides of all time arguably) means he has to be in the Hall Of Fame.

Alan Moody would have been the first name on the teamsheet I'd imagine, for most of the time he was here. He was the sort of player who just got on with the job in hand, calmly and without making a big song and dance about it. A very capable centre back and a consistant goal scorer, including probably being our most consistantly accurate penalty taker (with the possible exception of Freddy). The partnerships he formed with Neil Townsend and then Tony Hadley were two of our best at the back ever, statistics bear that out in the lack of goals conceded.

Have no recollection of him ever having been sent off either, so a decent footballer who was able to tackle fairly. Club captain for a number of years, and part of the team (Smithy's) that really got me hooked on the game. And that's all apart from being our top appearance holder - had doubts about Otto, but Moody is a relatively easy one, yes, he should go in.

From another old codger - A definate for me.
A great club servant.

Having watched many of Alan Moodys' games I have just voted in favour as he is a must for HOF.
I would rate his defensive partnership with Townsend as better than Watson/Bradbury, Prior/Scully,Dervite/Clark or any previous pairing. Unfortunately Townsends stay with us was too short and it was then that Hadley partnered him. A MUST.

A shoo-in. A landslide. A dead cert.

Having never seen Alan Moody play, I held my vote back in case there was any room for argument, but it would seem not. Clearly exactly the sort of player the HoF was made for.

Having watched many of Alan Moodys' games I have just voted in favour as he is a must for HOF.
I would rate his defensive partnership with Townsend as better than Watson/Bradbury, Prior/Scully,Dervite/Clark or any previous pairing. Unfortunately Townsends stay with us was too short and it was then that Hadley partnered him. A MUST.

better than Whelan/Broad? Say it ain't so?

No doubts whatsoever that he should GO in.

Had the pleasure of watching many,many,many of his games.
He was also a very sociable guy. Always spoke to supporters and would even join us in the shrimpers bar after most away games for a drink and dance

Back