• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Dave Smith one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Up for election to the SZ Southend United Hall of Fame is manager Dave Smith.

Smith came incredibly close last time, missing out by just 0.26%. Will he fare better at his second attempt? Here's what I wrote last time:

----------------------------------------------------
This poll is really a week or so too early.

The date of this poll should be 01 May, because that is the date for which Dave Smith will forever be associated with the club, for it was on 01 May 1981 that his side claimed the club's first major trophy* with a 1-1 draw against Rochdale.

Dave Smith had been appointed manager 5 years earlier, following Arthur Rowley's side relegation back to the 4th. Smith wasn't the only name linked with the job, things might have turned out quite different if the young Lincoln City boss, Graham Taylor, who had been heavily linked had actually been appointed. In the end the club opted for Dave Smith, whilst Rowley was kept on on a consultancy basis.

With a young Paul Clark (Hall of Fame vote is still open and is the tightest one to date) breaking into the side alongside Hall of Famers Alan Moody and Ronnie Pountney, Southend set a club record by conceding just 45 goals. But this was an era, perhaps the first, when the club lacked a goalscorer to capitalise on the platform provided by the defence and the club drew a record 19 games. This was despite Smith favouring wingers and bringing in players with the flair of Colin Morris and Andy Polycarpou.

Smith's second season saw the attacking woes addressed and with the defence going 6 goals better, we achieved our second ever promotion, finishing second.

The following year saw Smith sign the likes of Mervyn Cawston (to replace Neil Freeman who was sold to Birmingham), club record signing Dave Cusack, Micky Stead and Anton Otulakowski but a poor end to the season saw them finish 13th in the third division. However this season is best remembered for holding European Champions Liverpool, one of the greatest sides ever, to a 0-0 draw at Roots Hall, and had Derrick Parker......

The following season also saw some cup heroics, this time in the league cup, beating first division Bolton and taking local rivals Wet Sham to a second replay. Not so impressive was our league form, and finishing 22nd was not enough to halt the yo-yo years. An under pressure Dave Smith avoided the sack, with his assistant John Lattimer becoming the fall guy, but was left in no doubt that this was not good enough by chairman Frank Walton.

Like in 1988/89, relegation proved to be a springboard to success. Southend got off to a blistering start, especially at home, where we won the opening 15 home games. As ever in the Smith era, defence was key to this, with the ever present Mervyn Cawston letting in an incredible six goals only at home all season (a 4th division record). At one stage Cawston went a staggering 987 minutes without conceding.

That season no fewer than 20 club records were shattered, including most wins in a season (30), fewest goals against (31) and most clean sheets (25). Dave Smith was understandably declared 4th division Manager of the Year.

The team of Cawston, Stead, Yates, Hadley, Moody, Cusack, Gray, Pountney, Spence, Mercer and Otulakowski must go down as one of Southend's finest. I'd like to say that team rolls off the tongue, like the 1990-91 team**, but (1) I was too young and so have only read about them; and (2) no team containing Otulakowski can be said to roll off the tongue. However as a kid I was more than aware that when a publication such as the Rothman's Football Handbook listed honours it said Honours (1): 4th Division Champions 1980/81. Of course now Southend's diamond jubilee success of 1980-81 has been matched by its centenary success in 2005-06, but it speaks volumes that only one other season out of a hundred (and counting) can live up to that one under Dave Smith.

The next season Smith's team showed it was no fluke by achieving the club's highest league position since 1957/58, by finishing 7th in division 3. In a wide open division, Southend were in 3rd place over New Year and tenth in April, but only 8 points behind. In the first season of 3 points for a win, Southend chose a bad year to pick up 15 draws.

The 1982/83 season was blighted by poor attendances and Smith was forced to sell Cusack and Otulakowski to Millwall. When Southend finished a disappointing 15th fans chanted for his resignation. Not for the first time however, fans should have been wary of what they wished for. Anton Johnson took the club over and in an attempt to mark his stamp on it, he sacked Smith whilst Smith was still on holiday in Tenerife, appointing Crewe's Peter Morris in his place. The extrovert Smith returned from holiday and held a sit-in in his old office until he was awarded compensation. Morris and then Bobby Moore were to preside over a disastrous period, although this may well have reflected more on the club's ownership than its management as the club flirted with bankruptcy.

In all Dave Smith was in charge of 322 games, which Southend won 132. Of Southend managers in charge of more than 30 games, only Dave Webb won a higher percentage (57.99%) than Dave Smith's 54.97% *** Dave Webb has already been elected, should Dave Smith join him?

Dave Smith, Southend United manager May 1976- June 1983

Pl 322 W 132 D 90 L 100 F 430 A 338 Pts 387

Promotions (2): 1977-78 and 1980-81
Relegations (1): 1979-80

Honours: Division 4 Champions, 1980-81; 4th Division Manager of the Year, 1980-81

*We did actually win the Southern League Division 2 in both 1906/07 and 1907/08, but I'd be hard-pushed to describe a non-league trophy as major, it would make me sound like a deluded Col Ewe fan.
**Sansome, Austin, Powell, Martin, Prior/Scully, Tilson, Clark, Butler, Ansah, Benjamin and Angell
*** Potted Shrimps by Dave Goody and Peter Miles. I think Tilly has probably a better record than this as well, but as he's Southend managerial career has hopefully several decades left to run and I don't have the stats for him to hand, we'll leave him out of this. I don't think those stats include Webb III either.

Has to be in for me, as said in YB's post very harshly treated by the club when he was sacked while on holiday. He produced teams that always tried to pass the ball unlike our main long ball rivals at the time in the idiot Taylor's Watford. He was always pretty strong in his dealings with the players, I remember he dropped Micky Stead from a game and explained his decision over the Public Address system at Roots Hall. I also remember him subbing Otulakowski midway through the first half in the second replay against Wet Spam.

The record breaking 1980-81 season alone is worth him being in the HoF, but as YB said in his preamble a lot of the players from that side are still remembered as "greats" of our club.

Dave Smith was my sort of manager, raw passion with a great personality. No one will forget turning on “Match of the day” every week and seeing Dave’s arms waving like a traffic controller in the opening titles (think against Watford away). Dave is still my favourite manager a real legion

Definitely in, he was also a manager of the people, generating the kind of early player/fan meet and greets that we take for granted these days. Plus, of course, masterminding the holding of the European Champions on a snowy night at Roots Hall.

Cawston , Stead, Moody, Cusack, Yates

That defence is indelibly etched in my memory

And he gave us Ronnie P .......

I am stunned that this great man is not in the HOF already, he would be in my first 5 choices if , not the first

I am stunned that this great man is not in the HOF already, he would be in my first 5 choices if , not the first

I'm a bit amazed as well, even more amazed that one person has actually said "no". Name and shame, name and shame. :)
I wonder if the youngsters on the baord who were not around then (probably not even born!!) think they cannot vote as they never saw his team etc. I think this would be a pity. There's no reason they can't read Peter Mason's book and all the others and make a judgement and then he has to go in.
Just a thought.

I'm a bit amazed as well, even more amazed that one person has actually said "no". Name and shame, name and shame. :)
I wonder if the youngsters on the baord who were not around then (probably not even born!!) think they cannot vote as they never saw his team etc. I think this would be a pity. There's no reason they can't read Peter Mason's book and all the others and make a judgement and then he has to go in.
Just a thought.
You can click on the figures voted in the poll to see who ;)
It was a major problem for me in earlier rounds when people said they'd not seen players so voted against. You either listen to what people have said that DID experience them or you abstain, you don't just vote "no" cos you've not seen them.
Smithy was the manager for a period which gave us Stuart Parker and Peter Silvester, two of my favourite strikers of that era, plus Terry Nicholl - brother of big Chris and cousin of Man U's Jimmy. Neil Townsend, Steve Goodwin, Wee Davie Cunningham - loads of players all before that championship winning side came into being, all of whom were a pleasure to watch, and laid the foundation for that later success.

You can click on the figures voted in the poll to see who ;)
It was a major problem for me in earlier rounds when people said they'd not seen players so voted against. You either listen to what people have said that DID experience them or you abstain, you don't just vote "no" cos you've not seen them.
Smithy was the manager for a period which gave us Stuart Parker and Peter Silvester, two of my favourite strikers of that era, plus Terry Nicholl - brother of big Chris and cousin of Man U's Jimmy. Neil Townsend, Steve Goodwin, Wee Davie Cunningham - loads of players all before that championship winning side came into being, all of whom were a pleasure to watch, and laid the foundation for that later success.

Are you saying people can't vote No unless they have seen them? Personally as long as people are happy to give a justification of why they vote No I think that's good enough. It's down to those who voted Yes and saw the player in question play to be persuasive in their arguments! I voted no for Paul Clark (never saw him play) but that was after carefully reading everything written about him.

Are you saying people can't vote No unless they have seen them? Personally as long as people are happy to give a justification of why they vote No I think that's good enough. It's down to those who voted Yes and saw the player in question play to be persuasive in their arguments! I voted no for Paul Clark (never saw him play) but that was after carefully reading everything written about him.

No, I'm pretty sure she's saying: "It was a major problem for me in earlier rounds when people said they'd not seen players so voted against. You either listen to what people have said that DID experience them or you abstain, you don't just vote "no" cos you've not seen them."

I'm pretty sure that is what she's saying, because you helpfully included that quote in your post.

No, I'm pretty sure she's saying: "It was a major problem for me in earlier rounds when people said they'd not seen players so voted against. You either listen to what people have said that DID experience them or you abstain, you don't just vote "no" cos you've not seen them."

I'm pretty sure that is what she's saying, because you helpfully included that quote in your post.

In previous rounds it got heated because people admitted they hadn't seen someone play and voted No, and others assumed that was the reason behind them voting No.

In previous rounds it got heated because people admitted they hadn't seen someone play and voted No, and others assumed that was the reason behind them voting No.

I think the occasion you are referring to was when someone was asked why they'd voted against someone and they'd said because they hadn't seen them play. It's not an issue if people actually read what's said and make their mind up on the evidence presented.

I think the occasion you are referring to was when someone was asked why they'd voted against someone and they'd said because they hadn't seen them play. It's not an issue if people actually read what's said and make their mind up on the evidence presented.

indeed.:thumbsup:

...and Tony Hadley in reserve or midfield, what would we pay to have a defence like that today?

Dave Smith is the third best manager in my time of watching Shrimpers. Had some great players, Derek Spence, Dave Cusack etc. Always remember two great matches V. Liverpool and some battles with Graham Taylor's Watford which we usually won!
Was in holiday in Minehead about 20 years ago and went to see the local team play Torquay (managed by Dave) in a friendly. Had a long chat with him before the game, he was a real genuine guy who enjoyed his time at Roots Hall apart from being kicked out in a similar manner to Tilly. I remember Dave getting my sons programme signed by all the Torquay players too. Top bloke, fond memories of him.

Thank you, for someone who seems to dissect my posts so diligently I am amazed Pubey was questioning my meaning as I thought (and you seem to have found) it perfectly clear!

Thank you, for someone who seems to dissect my posts so diligently I am amazed Pubey was questioning my meaning as I thought (and you seem to have found) it perfectly clear!

I was double-checking your meaning:-)

Hmm this is a tough one to decide. My gut reaction is to vote "yes" because of his acheivements - two promotions (same as Webb & Tilson) & the club's first silverware. However statements like this:

Dave Smith is the third best manager in my time of watching Shrimpers.

Have made me doubtful, along with the 12 person limit on the HoF, is this limit going to stay or will it increase in the future YB?

I may need more pursuading from Dave Smith fans. what made him a good manager? what players will he be remembered for bringing in? etc.

Back