• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Dave Smith one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Again before my time so not a legend in my eyes

In truth I would say the actual opposite applies, A legend is primarily something which has only been heard of but not witnessed, and whilst I know in this instance that is not is what is implied by its usage, not having witnessed the event it is no reason for dismmissing its legendary status.

St George is one "Legend" deiscussed on here at length recently eyt I do not recall one eye witness account

just before my time, but if you know ya stuff an absolute nail on legend, look at the stats, look at the fact it was only our second ever promotion and my old man continuously banging on about that season for the the 20 odd years we been going to the blues

*bump*

I find it unbelievable that Smithy is nearer to election than Clark, with just 4 against.

That '80-'81 team was a joy to watch and I remember my brother ('BarnaBlue') saying after one Friday night game (where we only scraped a 1-0 win after a late long-shot from Tony Hadley) that "that is a sign of a good side-one that wins without playing well." Bringing the calibre of players such as Otalukowski, Cawston and Spence to the club enhanced the already proven qualities of Moody, Pountney and the emerging Hadley. Dave Smith also helped to bring on the development of Garry Nelson, at times a frustrating player, but one that brought an element of flair and unpredictability to proceedings. I'd say that for his achievements with the '80-'81 team alone, he'd have to be in the HOF. His legacy also lay with an inspired decision to bring Paul Clark back to Roots Hall, a stalwart through the thin and thick which followed for nearly a decade later.

I have to add that True Blue is no longer "a legend in my eyes."

Last edited:
Back