• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is David Crown one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
David Crown was my first footballing hero.

I started watching Southend in the mid-80s, but despite constantly nagging the old man it wasn't until late 1987 that he started taking me along with him regularly. I suspect he was protecting me from the Dick Bate era. Fortunately the Bate spell was short-lived and Paul Clark took over as player-manager. Clark's first signing was a 28 year old who had played as a winger for Walthamstow Avenue, Brentford, Portsmouth, Exeter (loan) and Reading before being converted to a striker at Cambridge.

And as an impressionable young kid watching Southend during that period, how could I fail to be impressed by David Crown? He didn't score on his debut against Aldershot at Roots Hall, but from that point on he seemed to score every game netting in an incredible 11 of our 14 remaining home games that season (including twice against Port Vale) to help keep us up.

Most memorable of all was the Wigan game that season. Two goals to nil down at half-time, he managed to pick the ball up on the halfway line just by the dug-out, drift inside beating two, three, maybe four men (each time I replay the goal in my head, it is more players and from further out) before absolutely belting it into the top corner from about what seemed 35 yards to complete a 3-2 win. Despite numerous pleas, no-one has managed to post this goal up on you-tube. You *******s, someone must have it on video!

Despite joining us in mid-November, Crowny finished top-scorer with a very impressive 17 goals from 28 games, to finish top-scorer for both us and Cambridge.

The following season he proved it wasn't an one-off by rattling in a further 25 goals plus 4 in the cup. But even that wasn't enough to keep us up, as despite beating eventual champions Wolves 3-1 (one of my all-time favourite games) with of course Crowny on the scoresheet twice, we finished 21st and were relegated on the final day of the season after an improbable Blackpool win.

But we bounced back and for the third consecutive season Crown was topscorer when he hit 19 goals (and a further 4 in the cup, including 3 against Col Ewe) as Southend clinched the last promotion spot. As in the previous season, it went down to the wire, but Crown who had only scored one goal in the preceding 14 games, scored two famous goals at Peterborough to clinch promotion, in what turned out to be the first of consecutive promotions. Had his shot against the Spurs of Lineker and Gascgoine not agonisingly hit the post rather than the back of the net, he'd have also had one of the club's biggest cup upsets to add to his CV.

I can still picture Crown to this day. The mullet haircut; the blue with yellow Firholm shirt untucked, spilling over those yellow shorts that always seemed to be pulled up too high. But what I'll always remember is his goals. In all there were 69 goals in 132 games, good enough for joint 8th in the all-time last.

In my book that makes Crown a legend, but does it make him a Hall of Famer? As I sit down to write this, I really don't know what way my vote would go.

Sadly the 1989-90 season was his last as a player. I was shocked when he was sold to Gillingham, but it turned out Dave Webb knew what he was doing as he replaced a striker the wrong side of 30 with a young starlet by the name of Brett Angell, who helped fire us not just into division 2, but to the top of division 2.

Crown returned to the club, as a coach under Rob Newman, as a radio summariser and most recently as a matchday host where he can apparently still be found, but he is most fondly remembered for all those goals.

Most goals for the club

1. 135 - Roy Hollis
2. 123 - Billy Best
3. 100 - Jimmy Shankley
4. 99 - Sammy McCrory
5. 76 - Billy Hick
6. 75 - Harry Lane
7. 72 - Steve Phillips
8= 69 - David Crown
8= 69 - Albert Wakefield
10. 66 - John McKinven

Whether Crowny is Hall of Fame or not is a tricky one. As I've said, he was my first favourite player, but I'm not sure whether he's got enough to stand out from the crowd. If we look at the strikers included so far, Collymore was an one-off and the club made millions on him; whilst Best scored nearly twice as many goals as Crown did and passed the magical three figures mark. As much as I loved Crowny, he wasn't irreplaceable as Brett Angell came in and helped us to promotion and Cadette and Phillips were just as prolific in previous seasons.

As I've said before, I don't think there isn't room in the HoF for all of Crown, Angell, Cadette and Phillips and I find it difficult to separate them all. Phillips scored the most, but Angell scored at a higher level and had that run of scoring in 7 consecutive games whilst Cadette got the most in a season out of them.

If we have a look at the criteria, Crown has a promotion to his name, including the clinching goals which is hugely in his favour, but then he also has a relegation and he left the club in the same division that he joined them in. Of course he can't take too much blame for the season when we were relegated as he banged in 25 league goals.

Longevity wise he was here 2 and a half seasons, which is OK but not great. I'm not sure what legacy he left. The peak of his career was definitely at Southend.

Personally, at the moment I'm not quite sure he did enough to be classed amongst the elite, but I won't be disappointed if he gets voted in. As Ron Pountney showed, not everyone will get voted in first time and Crown maybe someone who needs more than one ballot.

If you vote yes, I'd be interested in why you'd say Crown above Cadette, Phillips and Angell because I find it very hard to separate them.

I started watching Southend in the mid-80s, but despite constantly nagging the old man it wasn't until late 1987 that he started taking me along with him regularly. I suspect he was protecting me from the Dick Bate era. Fortunately the Bate spell was short-lived and Paul Clark took over as player-manager. Clark's first signing was a 28 year old who had played as a winger for Walthamstow Avenue, Brentford, Portsmouth, Exeter (loan) and Reading before being converted to a striker at Cambridge.

And as an impressionable young kid watching Southend during that period, how could I fail to be impressed by David Crown? He didn't score on his debut against Aldershot at Roots Hall, but from that point on he seemed to score every game netting in an incredible 11 of our 14 remaining home games that season (including twice against Port Vale) to help keep us up.

Most memorable of all was the Wigan game that season. Two goals to nil down at half-time, he managed to pick the ball up on the halfway line just by the dug-out, drift inside beating two, three, maybe four men (each time I replay the goal in my head, it is more players and from further out) before absolutely belting it into the top corner from about what seemed 35 yards to complete a 3-2 win. Despite numerous pleas, no-one has managed to post this goal up on you-tube. You *******s, someone must have it on video!

Despite joining us in mid-November, Crowny finished top-scorer with a very impressive 17 goals from 28 games, to finish top-scorer for both us and Cambridge.

The following season he proved it wasn't an one-off by rattling in a further 25 goals plus 4 in the cup. But even that wasn't enough to keep us up, as despite beating eventual champions Wolves 3-1 (one of my all-time favourite games) with of course Crowny on the scoresheet twice, we finished 21st and were relegated on the final day of the season after an improbable Blackpool win.

But we bounced back and for the third consecutive season Crown was topscorer when he hit 19 goals (and a further 4 in the cup, including 3 against Col Ewe) as Southend clinched the last promotion spot. As in the previous season, it went down to the wire, but Crown who had only scored one goal in the preceding 14 games, scored two famous goals at Peterborough to clinch promotion, in what turned out to be the first of consecutive promotions. Had his shot against the Spurs of Lineker and Gascgoine not agonisingly hit the post rather than the back of the net, he'd have also had one of the club's biggest cup upsets to add to his CV.

I can still picture Crown to this day. The mullet haircut; the blue with yellow Firholm shirt untucked, spilling over those yellow shorts that always seemed to be pulled up too high. But what I'll always remember is his goals. In all there were 69 goals in 132 games, good enough for joint 8th in the all-time last.

In my book that makes Crown a legend, but does it make him a Hall of Famer? As I sit down to write this, I really don't know what way my vote would go.

Sadly the 1989-90 season was his last as a player. I was shocked when he was sold to Gillingham, but it turned out Dave Webb knew what he was doing as he replaced a striker the wrong side of 30 with a young starlet by the name of Brett Angell, who helped fire us not just into division 2, but to the top of division 2.

Crown returned to the club, as a coach under Rob Newman, as a radio summariser and most recently as a matchday host where he can apparently still be found, but he is most fondly remembered for all those goals.

Top intro, YB- for David Crown to score those goals in '87-'88 in a struggling side and to repeat the feat with even more the following season was a fine achievement. I saw him score a wonder goal (30 yard beauty)at Chesterfield in late Oct. '88 to earn us a point and like you, I was enthralled by the beauty against Wigan earlier that year to pick up another valuable 3 points on the road to salvation that season, coincidentally achieved AGAINST Blackpool on the last day of the season, when we won 4-0... oh, guess who weighed in with two goals that day?*

I think his record for goals per game surpasses that of even another of my heroes, Richard Cadette, and for DC to do that as a 'converted' winger and towards the end of his career, is another testament to the man. Let us not forget what a top geez he is too, which seems to be an important ingredient in the HOF mix here. I remember listening to him whilst at work on the 'Bluesline' or whatever it was called, being interviewed after that Blackpool game, doing a skit on Harry Enfield's 'Loadsamoney' character and replacing the catch phrase with 'Loadsagoals' to the interviewer, which made it difficult for me to pretend I was listening to a work call as I was p*****g myself!

I hope other fans who saw 'Crownie'- which I also nicknamed the moped I had at the time ("old, but still useful") -will see fit to place him in the HOF, for he made watching The Blues a real joy 'back in the day.' I never saw him give less than he was able and he gave what he did with skill, purpose and belief. I salute you, Mr C and I'm also jealous that your hair remains so dark- no grey highlights on you, old son!

*for anyone who looks through old programmes, check out the Blackpool (home) one of May, '88- there is a small 'box' in there entitled, "From Barcelona to Roots Hall," which the club put in for me acknowledging my bro's flying in for the game- way before the cheapo flights of today!

ps my only regret- that we didn't sign Paul Jewell (at Bradford at the time) to play alongside him!;)

Looking at the early votes this is going to be a difficult one to call as to whether David Crown will make the HoF. I've voted no, partly because as YB says in his intro post, I can't quite differentiate from Steve Phillips, Richard Cadette or Bret Angell as Blues heroes and goal scorers, all of whom made valuable contributions to the club over the years. And if I am pressed I am not sure if I would vote for any of these players.

It has to be said that Crown has now returned to the club in another capacity since the end of his playing days and makes a valuable contribution in the commercial area.

But for me a Blues hero yes, but a Hall of Famer, not quite.

Last edited:
Agree with everything Harry's said there, definitely a hero but not quite a Hall of Famer.

I thought Ricky Otto won the initial vote!!

Unfortunatley, I used to know this gillingham fan and they always called Crown 'Fingers' because he scored against them while playing for us and stuck his fingers up at their home fans.

On that basis, I'd have him in the HoF. Oh, and for the mullet..

I think I'm - again - in the "hero", and even "legend" status... but HoF? Not sure. In terms of (a) longevity and (b) the level of the league at which he scored his goals, I'm not sure he quite makes it.

YB - who's in the HoF so far, and who have we got coming up for votes?

Matt

Firstly it's good to see that people are being allowed to vote 'No' without being shouted down.

I'm abstaining as I never saw Crown play, Angell was the first goalscoring hero of my time watching the Blues. I have voted 'Yes' for other people I wasn't around to see but they had truly great acheivements, as YB says how do you pick one striker above another?

YB - thanks for that. Just reminding myself of the criteria for entry:

it should be limited to those who made a substantial impact, displayed greatness and left a legacy

...which begs a question: where's the vote for Spinner, especially bearing in mind that we only have 4 places left in the HoF?

Matt

YB - thanks for that. Just reminding myself of the criteria for entry:

it should be limited to those who made a substantial impact, displayed greatness and left a legacy

...which begs a question: where's the vote for Spinner, especially bearing in mind that we only have 4 places left in the HoF?

Matt

Spinner does not qualify for nomination until the end of this season.

A definite yes for me.

Ranks way above Angell, Philips and, to a lesser extent, Cadette in my view. All top players but Angell and Philips were no where near as prolific and, crucially, didn't excite me in the way Crown did. Cadette was only here two years and could be a bit hit and miss in comparison.

Add to that he's a top bloke with real affection for the club and coninuing links and, in my book, he's a Hall of Famer.

Voted yes purely because he was famous.

All those Friday night goals when our result was one of the few on Teletext made him a famous name.

Many a fellow lower league fan still says they remember seeing him scoring week after week.

Legend. And famous.

Has to be a yes from me, as it was his wonder goal against Wigan which converted me to a fully-fledged Shrimper, rather than someone who just looked out for their results.

Tough choice, it would be easy to vote yes to everyone up for nomination but there can only be 12 in.
Fine player for us in his 3 seasons and if he had put that chance away in the last minute against Spurs to win us the game instead of hitting the post I would be inclined to say yes.

Back