• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Frank Gill one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
One of the reasons I was keen to get the Hall of Fame going, was to learn more about our club's heritage. I thought I had a fairly decent grasp on our club's history but this is one nomination that has caught me completely by surprise. I'm therefore welcoming the opportunity to find out more about someone who is presumably one of our club's unsung heroes. I think he might have had something to do with our supporters club, but I'm afraid others will have to make the case because I've only just about heard of the name.

So who was he? What was his impact and what legacy did he leave?

Frank was many things, amongst them being - secretary of the supporter's club, tannoy announcer, and the man who took in the teas at half-time. He was involved as a boy right up to his death in the 1990s. In his heyday, the supporters club was arguably one of the biggest in the country and he was involved for longer than most and more than most. In his day, the supporter's club was responsible for selling programmes, away travel, cushions, catering, the lottery. Even lending players money for furniture. The Rubins saw the pound signs and took away a lot of that but the club still survived. Frank was Mr. Southend. He never supported another team, he never played for a different team. He gave his all to the club and its fans.

And, during the war years, he played for the club.

Frank was a gentleman and a scholar, and I was proud to say I knew him.

Was he not the Chairman of the Supporters' Club that 'helped not hindered' and was largely responsible for financing the construction of Roots Hall?

Was he not the Chairman of the Supporters' Club that 'helped not hindered' and was largely responsible for financing the construction of Roots Hall?

He wasn't the chairman, but the secretary. However, the secretary's role was larger than it is now, and he was involved in the construction of Roots Hall.

For as long as I could remember he was the announcer / tannoy man at Roots Hall, and the current incumbent could learn an awful lot from him.

One of the fondest memories of him was when Anton Otulakowski was at the club, Frank had great difficulty with Anton but when it came to his surname he would have numerous attempts before giving up and saying his shirt number.

I also remember we were playing Oxford (I think) and they had a young winger called Keith Cassells who was at the time an emerging black player when there were very few. To our eternal shame the poor lad got shed loads of abuse, plus the attendant monkey noises, Frank read the riot act at half time and told the crowd in no uncertain terms to give the lad a chance. Unfortunately he was subbed early on in the second half so we were unable to. But he subsequently became a good goalscorer if albeit a journeyman.

Frank Gill was a gentleman and as Napster has said played a huge part in the development of Roots Hall. IMO he should be in.

For as long as I could remember he was the announcer / tannoy man at Roots Hall, and the current incumbent could learn an awful lot from him.

One of the fondest memories of him was when Anton Otulakowski was at the club, Frank had great difficulty with Anton but when it came to his surname he would have numerous attempts before giving up and saying his shirt number.

I also remember we were playing Oxford (I think) and they had a young winger called Keith Cassells who was at the time an emerging black player when there were very few. To our eternal shame the poor lad got shed loads of abuse, plus the attendant monkey noises, Frank read the riot act at half time and told the crowd in no uncertain terms to give the lad a chance. Unfortunately he was subbed early on in the second half so we were unable to. But he subsequently became a good goalscorer if albeit a journeyman.

Frank Gill was a gentleman and as Napster has said played a huge part in the development of Roots Hall. IMO he should be in.

keith cassells played for watford , sufc v watford cup replay winners to play liverpool at home .he jumped up and down like a mad person in front of the north bank eaststand corner doing his nut about a throw in he wanted but didnt get,as frank was saying his bit the monkey noises got even louder dont think the player came out for the second half. my vote goes to frank gill,

I do hope Irate Ian is going to come out of his self imposed exile and speak on behalf of Frank Gill as he's another with personal insight into the man. I knew Frank through my grandad, who was one of his bowls' partners at Bournemouth Park Bowls Club. He used to almost always come along and say hello to us (my dad and me) during the games at Roots Hall when he was the man on the tannoy, which was for years and years. Obviously one of those responsible for the creation of our current home ground through his role in the Supporters' Club, as Napster has already said.

A true gent, a genuine and hard working man with love of the Club at his heart.

Controversial for me to vote no, I know - but I'm struggling to include him in "the twelve" when we've yet to have people like Bob Jack, Sid Broomfield, Billy Best, David Webb, Spencer Prior and Steve Tilson in the Hall of Fame.

It may be that, after a few more inductions into the Hall of Fame, Frank will deserve a place in the Hall of Fame after all. But right now, I'm just not sure.

Sorry folks!

Matt

I noticed on Saturday the current announcer has a quaint habit of referring to the north bank as the 'north end'.

I remember the keith cassells thing very well and the half-time plea to 'give the lad a chance'.
I was standing in the old paddock in front of the east stand and he played on the left wing and watford attacked south bank in first half. Very large numbers of people were doing the monkey noises. Although I didn't join in I can remember laughing. (I was 15 and too young to know better.) Just shows how much things have improved in this respect since then.
The announcer would have been very much going against the grain of society at the time so was obviously a brave man.

I noticed on Saturday the current announcer has a quaint habit of referring to the north bank as the 'north end'.

I remember the keith cassells thing very well and the half-time plea to 'give the lad a chance'.
I was standing in the old paddock in front of the east stand and he played on the left wing and watford attacked south bank in first half. Very large numbers of people were doing the monkey noises. Although I didn't join in I can remember laughing. (I was 15 and too young to know better.) Just shows how much things have improved in this respect since then.
The announcer would have been very much going against the grain of society at the time so was obviously a brave man.

You are right it was Watford, I think he moved to Oxford where he scored a lot of goals. As I said I am not overly proud of the monkey noises, but it was sadly the done thing back then.

Controversial for me to vote no, I know - but I'm struggling to include him in "the twelve" when we've yet to have people like Bob Jack, Sid Broomfield, Billy Best, David Webb, Spencer Prior and Steve Tilson in the Hall of Fame.

It may be that, after a few more inductions into the Hall of Fame, Frank will deserve a place in the Hall of Fame after all. But right now, I'm just not sure.

Sorry folks!

Matt

It will hopefully be a few years yet before Tilly qualifies, and Spinner isn't eligible until this summer, and I think Sid Broomfield is already in.

I well remember Franks efforts to get his tongue round 'Otowolopski' - always gave us a good chuckle. He was a tireless worker for the club and Supporters Club, who bought the land, built and paid for Roots Hall - to then hand it over to the Club for 'safe keepng'! Vultures would then circle for years to come, picking the asset to the bones, until the Club own nothing. Mr Martin has a lot to thank him and his associates for!!

Frank was many things, amongst them being - secretary of the supporter's club, tannoy announcer, and the man who took in the teas at half-time. He was involved as a boy right up to his death in the 1990s. In his heyday, the supporters club was arguably one of the biggest in the country and he was involved for longer than most and more than most. In his day, the supporter's club was responsible for selling programmes, away travel, cushions, catering, the lottery. Even lending players money for furniture. The Rubins saw the pound signs and took away a lot of that but the club still survived. Frank was Mr. Southend. He never supported another team, he never played for a different team. He gave his all to the club and its fans.

And, during the war years, he played for the club.

Frank was a gentleman and a scholar, and I was proud to say I knew him.

Not forgetting the supporters' club brass band ... one of the few in the country at the time.

Frank Gill did sterling work for the hospital broadcasts back in the 60s.

While voting for Oliver Trigg, can I respectfully remind people about this man. Both were men of their times, and both helped shape the club into what we have today. Frank Gill worked tirelessly for many, many years in furtherance of the club's success both on and off the field, please, don't forget him.

Never had the chance to see him in action but reading what people have said he deserves to be in it. A Southend legend by the sounds of it, he gets my vote

Frank Gill was a man of humility. Frank was a Clubman in all senses of the word.

I cannot do justice in a postumous testimonial, as words simply cannot describe the warmth of feeling and regard I have for the man.

He had a love of two main sports, indoor/outdoor bowls and Southend United Football Club.

A mean [in the nicest possible way] snooker and billiards player, also. He could often be found at Windemere Road, Supporters Club, where I expect he will also have done sterling works and fundraising.

He always had a smile on his face and would always take the time and trouble to talk to anyone but particularly if they were supporters of his beloved Shrimpers.

In bowling circles Frank gave his time freely as long serving Hon Secretary & Trustee of both lawn bowling club Bournemouth Park Bowling Club [Wimborne Road, Southend]; held officership of indoor bowling club, Essex County B.C., [Imperial Avenue, Westcliff] and As Secretary of Essex County Bowling Association over a long period of years.

I was priviledged to have come to know Frank for about 20 years prior to his death. On the bowling green, he was a very good [if not prolific] and always stylish player, but he always conducted himself as a gentleman and upheld high standards, even in the heat of competitive battle. Unflappable.

As with bowls, it is my understanding that Frank worked tirelessly as Secretary of the Supporters Club, probably unpaid as with all his voluntary works.

As the voice of the mike at RH, his dulcet tones and eloquence were of the highest order. When he did a job he did it damned well, in fact a perfectionist.

His reward: The price of free entry to watch the football club he loved.

He also volunteered to do Hospital Radio for a long stint and seemed to get some kick out of doing unpaid work !

Certainly he was not a wealthy man [not surprising for all the free time he gave to sports clubs and associations] and used to drive I think a Lada; but those who knew him would soon realise that his real wealth was in his character and make-up.

May I suggest the club be contacted to obtain his length of service records so that they can be preseved for long term reference.

SUFC were sadly not represented at his funeral as far as I can recall, which is a great pity, but by then he had been forced to give up his job on the mike and a whole new management had come into being, who will have hardly if at all, known he had existed.

Gone but not forgotten ....................

In his time Frank was also the Benevolent Officer of the bowling club, and he would move tirelessly to my knowledge to help those even less fortunate than himself, when and if they or widows of former members, fell on hard times.

Oh how times are changing/have changed.

Above all, I revist my opening comments, Frank Gill was a man of Humility, mixed with a coctail of fun, sporting attitude, eloquence and style.

I salute him and men of his kind who helped put in place the very buidling blocks upon which our club now stands - our original and spiritual home that is: Roots Hall.

Thanks Ian - Frank was a true legend. I think his wife Muriel is still alive and would be tickled pink to know so many people regard him as a legend.

Come on, folks, one more vote needed.

Frank Gill was a man of humility. Frank was a Clubman in all senses of the word.

I cannot do justice in a postumous testimonial, as words simply cannot describe the warmth of feeling and regard I have for the man.

He had a love of two main sports, indoor/outdoor bowls and Southend United Football Club.

A mean [in the nicest possible way] snooker and billiards player, also. He could often be found at Windemere Road, Supporters Club, where I expect he will also have done sterling works and fundraising.

He always had a smile on his face and would always take the time and trouble to talk to anyone but particularly if they were supporters of his beloved Shrimpers.

In bowling circles Frank gave his time freely as long serving Hon Secretary & Trustee of both lawn bowling club Bournemouth Park Bowling Club [Wimborne Road, Southend]; held officership of indoor bowling club, Essex County B.C., [Imperial Avenue, Westcliff] and As Secretary of Essex County Bowling Association over a long period of years.

I was priviledged to have come to know Frank for about 20 years prior to his death. On the bowling green, he was a very good [if not prolific] and always stylish player, but he always conducted himself as a gentleman and upheld high standards, even in the heat of competitive battle. Unflappable.

As with bowls, it is my understanding that Frank worked tirelessly as Secretary of the Supporters Club, probably unpaid as with all his voluntary works.

As the voice of the mike at RH, his dulcet tones and eloquence were of the highest order. When he did a job he did it damned well, in fact a perfectionist.

His reward: The price of free entry to watch the football club he loved.

He also volunteered to do Hospital Radio for a long stint and seemed to get some kick out of doing unpaid work !

Certainly he was not a wealthy man [not surprising for all the free time he gave to sports clubs and associations] and used to drive I think a Lada; but those who knew him would soon realise that his real wealth was in his character and make-up.

May I suggest the club be contacted to obtain his length of service records so that they can be preseved for long term reference.

SUFC were sadly not represented at his funeral as far as I can recall, which is a great pity, but by then he had been forced to give up his job on the mike and a whole new management had come into being, who will have hardly if at all, known he had existed.

Gone but not forgotten ....................

In his time Frank was also the Benevolent Officer of the bowling club, and he would move tirelessly to my knowledge to help those even less fortunate than himself, when and if they or widows of former members, fell on hard times.

Oh how times are changing/have changed.

Above all, I revist my opening comments, Frank Gill was a man of Humility, mixed with a coctail of fun, sporting attitude, eloquence and style.

I salute him and men of his kind who helped put in place the very buidling blocks upon which our club now stands - our original and spiritual home that is: Roots Hall.

Not wishing to be controversial, and playing devil's advocate...a lot of the above relates to things he did away from the club. It clearly shows he was evidently a good man, a man of dignity and a man who gave time for other causes no doubt for low reward other than the satisfaction of helping out.

However, if this is limited to a legends of Southend top 12, surely there are others who have contributed more to the club?

As announcer would he not be a latter day Jeff Allen (was that the name of the announcer of a few years ago?). AS secretary of the supporters club, are the Trust committee members, or those trying to push the Blue Voice through not his equals?

As I say, he was no doubt a great individual, but if this is acknowledging the top twelve most significant people in Southend's histroy I find it hard to justify his inclusion from what Ive read. I would have thought it better to see other more obvious entries first and then revisit this one.

Back