• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

is Freddy Eastwood one of the greatest 12 players in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Could you name them. Billy Best and Stanley are already there. Personally and I'm an old s od like you I cannot think of any striker that comes close to these 3 in my time of watching Blues. Not even Cadette and oh Andy Ansah.

Knowing ORM, he's almost certainly thinking of Adam Barrett, forgetting that he was actually a centre-half.

Good write up YB, although it was Northampton in the play off semis and not Lincoln.

Oops, was getting ahead of myself and thinking too much of this [video=youtube;UqMUDsoyAzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMUDsoyAzs&feature=related[/video]

Nope - Sorry - I guess you didn't expect anything else from me. I will concede on many points not least of which are the debut performance, passing to Juppy in the play-off final, the goals away at Swansea and the free-kick vs Man Utd. It's a mightily impressive strike rate that's for sure but to be a top 12 Southend legend of all time takes much more than that I'm afraid and the performances after the game vs Man U, 'injured' or not are one of the key reasons why he doesn't make the list for me. I have seen enough other Southend forwards during my lifetime that would make the list before Freddy.

I do find that amazing. Totally understand you are welcome to your point but I dont really think you can think of many better strikers than Freddy. This is my 25th season (guessing were approx same age) and I cant think of anyone better than won more points and games on his own than Freddy.

Only Collymore comes close ability wise and you cant really call a guy that played 30 times a legend.

For me he is the best forward we have ever had. I have never seen one man be so responsible for a side sucess. He had great platers around him but he was still a one man goal machine. Love him.

Anyone of the other 4 now who have voted against care to share their reasons? Mr Grumpy (aka Fasto) I'm looking at YOU!!!!

I do find that amazing. Totally understand you are welcome to your point but I dont really think you can think of many better strikers than Freddy. This is my 25th season (guessing were approx same age) and I cant think of anyone better than won more points and games on his own than Freddy.

Only Collymore comes close ability wise and you cant really call a guy that played 30 times a legend.

For me he is the best forward we have ever had. I have never seen one man be so responsible for a side sucess. He had great platers around him but he was still a one man goal machine. Love him.

ORM often does this to me, he is wrong but also right(a little bit) for me freddy is in but only just, I worshiped david crown and would pick him first then there is sir stanley of collymore, richard cadette was simply electric for us, big mention for brett angel, but it all comes down to freddys record for us, its amazing, I dont want to open up the old tilly debate but if it wasnt for freddy eastwood things may have been very very different.

Anyone of the other 4 now who have voted against care to share their reasons? Mr Grumpy (aka Fasto) I'm looking at YOU!!!!

Yeah, after the Man U game he seemingly didn't care. His form dipped and he took the first opportunity to get out. Old Shep wasn't like that, he was a prolific goalscorer but he didn't let the fame go to his head.

Madness- You cant blame a player for wanting a bigger move - Lets be honest no-one wants to play for us really they just do because they cant do any better. Barrett did exactly the same last season.

You cannot fault his record, all the best times as a SUFC fan are pretty much a direct result of Freddy. Powell is a true legend in every sence but in my 25 years as a Southend fan I dont think we have ever had such a talent.

If Freddy didnt make it then this really would become a farce IMHO.

Yeah, after the Man U game he seemingly didn't care. His form dipped and he took the first opportunity to get out. Old Shep wasn't like that, he was a prolific goalscorer but he didn't let the fame go to his head.
People keep trotting this out, I don't buy into it myself. Yes, he may have wanted out but as I recall he had a series of injuries around that time which weren't exactly helpful. Don't forget the downward spiral we were on and that it's hard to go from being the adored golden boy in a winning team to a forward getting no service in a losing team.

People keep trotting this out, I don't buy into it myself. Yes, he may have wanted out but as I recall he had a series of injuries around that time which weren't exactly helpful. Don't forget the downward spiral we were on and that it's hard to go from being the adored golden boy in a winning team to a forward getting no service in a losing team.

My god, :net::net::net:

I think the key with Fred is his transformative effect to the whole side. Tilly built a team in 2004/05 that was solid (especially with Spinner there) and probably capable of just squeaking into the playoffs. Freddy was the difference between that side finishing in the top 7, and that side being promoted.

And I know that ORM loves to get on his hobby horse about Freddy... but answer me this honestly, Tone: would we have won the League One Championship - the most prestigious trophy our club has ever won - without him?

For that reason alone, he has to go in, IMHO - although the decision is certainly made all the easier by the fact that his debut - that game against Swansea - is the best game of football I've ever seen at the Hall.

Fasto hasn't forgiven Freddy for scoring against Spurs.

You'll notice that his choice of striker from the 80s wasn't Gary Bennett either.

voted yes , but but can fully understand why otehrs voted no

IF your view is that after the Man U game it all went to his head and from then on he did not try as hard as he did before then I can see an argument for voting no. If voting no for another reason then I dont get it.

off topic but we all remember the stick Gowee used to get for pieceved lack of effort and then only after he left did we find out about the pain kiling injections and the fact that it was impossible for him to play as he wanted to/could do

Madness- You cant blame a player for wanting a bigger move - Lets be honest no-one wants to play for us really they just do because they cant do any better. Barrett did exactly the same last season.

You cannot fault his record, all the best times as a SUFC fan are pretty much a direct result of Freddy. Powell is a true legend in every sence but in my 25 years as a Southend fan I dont think we have ever had such a talent.

If Freddy didnt make it then this really would become a farce IMHO.

I was upset about Otto not making it, he had so many great performances at the highest level we ever played! He was a stand out performer week in week out. If Freddy isn't in then the whole hall of fame means nothing, like you say a farce.

voted yes , but but can fully understand why otehrs voted no

IF your view is that after the Man U game it all went to his head and from then on he did not try as hard as he did before then I can see an argument for voting no. If voting no for another reason then I dont get it.

off topic but we all remember the stick Gowee used to get for pieceved lack of effort and then only after he left did we find out about the pain kiling injections and the fact that it was impossible for him to play as he wanted to/could do

I don't understand that logic. He could have taken a deckchair out with him for every game after the Man Utd game and just sat there reading a paper, but how does that detract from what he achieved in the previous 3 years? John Lennon created some very iffy music towards the end of his short life, that doesn't stop him being a music legend.

Probably my favourite striker was David Crown, I would also vote him in the the HoF, but I admit he wasn't in the same league as Eastwood.

Back