• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Oliver Trigg one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• NO - his contribution falls short

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Oliver Trigg was the man who kicked it all off.

Literally.

The time was six pm on 25 August 1906. Southend 'A' versus Southend 'B' at Roots Hall, the first practice match, in aid of the Victoria Hospital. Trigg was given the honour of 'kicking off' in his capacity as chairman of The Southend United Football Club, Ltd.

As landlord of the Blue Boar, Trigg had played an instrumental role. The Blue Boar had hosted the very first meeting where a collection of local footballers and businessmen had gathered on 19 April to talk about forming a new football club.

In the mean time, led by Trigg, the plotters had managed to get a three year lease on the ground at Roots Hall.

As a result of that initial get together, a further meeting - organised and inspired by Trigg - took place exactly a month later at the Blue Boar. It was at this meeting, on 19 May 1906 that Southend United was formally founded.

Oliver Trigg, licensed victualler, was elected as chairman and was one of five directors alongside Charles Stein, 'Member of the Stock Exchange'; George Hogsflesh, 'agent'; Frederick England, licensed victualler; and Tom Tidy, 'merchant and cigar importer'.

Thanks to the vision of men like Trigg and his fellow directors, horizons were widened. The club became Southend rather than Prittlewell, semi-professionalism and amateurism was dropped in favour of professionalism and the club applied to join not the South Essex League but the prestigious Southern League.

The newly elected directors were told to tout for professional as well as amateur players. Trigg and his directors managed to persuade Bob Jack to become player, manager and secretary. Jack managed to secure 11 professionals, including two former internationals to sign as well as a number of prominent local amateur players such as Wanstead's Harry Halse.

Membership of the Southern League was by way of election. As chairman Trigg must have lobbied hard. With the help of Leyton FC's Robert Campbell, Southend United picked up 33 votes ahead of Swindon Reserves, 30; Royal Engineers, 27; Wycombe Wanderers, 18 and Tunbridge Wells Rangers, 16 who were all elected whilst Hastings and Grays were turned away.

Trigg's contribution was also financial. In the early days, existance was often hand to mouth and the directors often had to dig into their own pockets. When the share issue fell short of its target, Trigg contributed £861, a considerable sum in those days.

By 1910 the club were £800 in debt and directors were reduced to running money raising bazaars and paying for travel expenses out of their own pocket. As the excellent Southend United: The official history of the Blues (the source of much of this post) notes, this wasn't inconsiderable when players like Walter Smith travelled from Liverpool for every game.

Trigg even had to return as chairman late in the 1913/14 season when boardroom bickering got so bad.

Oliver Trigg was the man who got it all up and running. Without him there probably wouldn't be a Southend United. He helped initiate it, fund it and nurse it through its infant days. Whilst the club went into hibernation during the Great War, the club kept one valuable asset: its Southern League membership and this was to be the basis of the club becoming a Football League club in 1920. Sadly Trigg wasn't alive to see it, having died of a heart attack on 25 February 1919. His legacy lives on, as Southend United have retained their Football League membership ever since.

don't know how you can argue with this
there would be no hall of fame without him not even a shrimperzone!!!

This seems to be a bit of a problem with the "old" contenders, for me, it's a complete no brainer. Without him we wouldn't have come into existence, wasn't the original club Southend Athletic or something - shudders -?! People like him and Frank Gill who committed heart, soul AND finances to the club are the foundation upon which the club has been built and thrived.

This one should be an auto placement for me too. None of us are old enough to have met the man (cue some cheap Cricko or CanveyShrimper jibes), but that shouldn't matter like it has with previous contenders. his legacy is undisputed, he didn't just contribute to our history - he MADE this club...

P.S. My vote for the SZ owl was for Owliver Trigg - I still think of it every time I hear Chrissy Powl mentioned...

This seems to be a bit of a problem with the "old" contenders, for me, it's a complete no brainer. Without him we wouldn't have come into existence, wasn't the original club Southend Athletic or something - shudders -?! People like him and Frank Gill who committed heart, soul AND finances to the club are the foundation upon which the club has been built and thrived.

I Think Southend Athletic complained about the formation of Southend United but within a few years had lost a number of players to the new side and then ceased to be

I have an old team picture of Southend Athletic (1907 I think) on my study wall.

The man without whom none of us would be here? The father to our beloved Southend United? The man I nominated in this round? Of course it's a yes.

Being a 'younger' poster on here (does 29 count as young?!), the main problem for me is not knowing enough about a candidate, or not feeling a connection. I chose not to vote on the Gill/Pountney polls, not when there are only 12 places in the SZ Hall of Fame available, I'd rather save my votes until later, and once the few I would REALLY like to see are in the HoF I would definately consider casting a a 'Yes' vote for the likes of Gill & Pountney on the basis of other posters such as yourself's glowing reccomendations.

That said Oliver Trigg is the oldest candidate of them all, and whenever I read my history of SUFC Books, it always the opening pages I turn to, because the strength of character it took to get our club off the ground I find inspiring.

VOTE TRIGG!!!

Does anyone have a scanned pic of the great man? I want to make a signature to encourage people to vote Trigg.

Like Johnny O I didnt vote on others as I had no knowledge of them, and whilst they may have been unsung but put everything into the club, Im not entirely sure this constitutes a Hall of Famer if they were not integral to it. However, surely nearly all fans have heard of this chap. I drive past the Blue Boar Junction at Victoria Avenue most days and often think of its significance. Definately a vote for Mr Trigg from me.

I would imagine he is in here

southend%20-united-1906-07-400.png

a google image search has him on Facebook !

I've been nominating Mr Trigg all along and I am very surprised he didn't kick-off the hall of fame, just like he did our club.

My brother in law is Dave Goody (he of the SUFC books) and he has a picture of the great man which he is going to email over to me .. once received i'll post it up here

I've got his obituary from the Southend Standard somewhere. I'll try and find it and type it up. It is unequivocal in saying he founded the club and was it's prime mover and without his financial input it would have failed. He was the landlord of the Ivy House (now Chinnerys) as well as the Blue Boar and put in the "boxing hall" as he was a keen supporter of boxing and my guess is this is where the bands now play. His influence knows no bounds.

PS his grave stone in Sutton Road (renovated by the Trust) actually mentions the Ivy House.

Back