• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Paul Clark one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still none of the no-voters given any explanation? I think that's a shame, like Harry says, if I've voted against then I've tried to give my reasons and it would be interesting to see what has prompted them to vote no here. Who knows with a bit of debate we might have even persuaded them to reconsider.

Still none of the no-voters given any explanation? I think that's a shame, like Harry says, if I've voted against then I've tried to give my reasons and it would be interesting to see what has prompted them to vote no here. Who knows with a bit of debate we might have even persuaded them to reconsider.

Never seen him play for us so how can I call him a legend!

GOD SUCH A LEMMING

Might be a bit of guidance there for future HoF polls if we're to avoid voting in only recent players.

I'd abstain rather than vote No if I had no experience or knowledge of a player; although YBs write-up of Clark, and that blonde beard (which he had when he was about 16 IIRC), would have got my vote anyway.

Last edited:
One of the players I enjoyed as a youth, not the most gifted player that has played, but had a heart of lion and in a day when "Tough and Hard " players were just that, you gave it out you took it back, and PC was in that bracket.

Fully deserved the HOF especially when minor part players like Collymore get in on a whim and short service in the blue shirt.

Great write up again by YB

Never seen him play for us so how can I call him a legend!

I don't think that is enough to say 'no', but I can understand why some people my be hesitant to say an outright 'yes'.

Hmmmm......

I just hope we don't 'lose' any legends because we do not get a big enough majority purely due to people who haven't seen them play vote 'no'

:)

A definate yes..

Further to Barnetblues post, he was mansized at 14 , when he played for Beauchamps , I made the mistake of kicking him.........

I think I have mentioned this before, but when he was at Brighton he almost finished the career of a luton player Lil Fucillo a couple of years later , having never reclaimed his first team place he ended up at Roots Hall (Via North America) , I can only imagine what the intoduction to the Club Captain , the Viking, was like.

A definate yes..

Further to Barnetblues post, he was mansized at 14 , when he played for Beauchamps , I made the mistake of kicking him.........

I think I have mentioned this before, but when he was at Brighton he almost finished the career of a luton player Lil Fucillo a couple of years later , having never reclaimed his first team place he ended up at Roots Hall (Via North America) , I can only imagine what the intoduction to the Club Captain , the Viking, was like.

And played for Wickford Town same as our very own Mr Tilson

I like Listening to him on the Radio, sounds like he knows his business

Paul Clark loves the club and does not hold back his views is we are playing crap.lol

He played against my school Chalvedon when he was 15/16. He had a beard then and taught most of our team what the word robust meant.

I was playing for Billericay School, we were a touch poor that season (1972-1973) , the nearest we got to winning was scoring First and losing 7-2, that was one of the two games game in around 12 games that season where we kept the opposition down to single figures. Chalvedon was 15 - 0 , in Basildon but at Billericay we kept them down to 11-0 but that may well have been down to the first half sending off

Get out there tomorrow and encourage your mates to vote yes.

The Viking is worth his place undoubtedly for his entire career with Southend and anyone who saw the game against Wolves will understand why. The hugely vaunted Steve Bull came down with Wolves expecting to roll us over. Enter the Viking who "early doors" firmly but fairly (well perhaps not) crunched a tackle in which sent Bully flying up in the air so high that Southend Airport was closed for days as they looked for the UFO. Don't think he touched it after that!

One of the most committed players I've ever seen, a great captain and did a job as manager in difficult circumstances. Oh to see a player dummying a long kick like he did so often, which rather than ending in a difficult header just ran through to Sammy for an easy pick up.

Anyone who votes no, simply because they've never seen him, should retract their vote IMO. Abstain by all means.

Get out there tomorrow and encourage your mates to vote yes.

The Viking is worth his place undoubtedly for his entire career with Southend and anyone who saw the game against Wolves will understand why. The hugely vaunted Steve Bull came down with Wolves expecting to roll us over. Enter the Viking who "early doors" firmly but fairly (well perhaps not) crunched a tackle in which sent Bully flying up in the air so high that Southend Airport was closed for days as they looked for the UFO. Don't think he touched it after that!

One of the most committed players I've ever seen, a great captain and did a job as manager in difficult circumstances. Oh to see a player dummying a long kick like he did so often, which rather than ending in a difficult header just ran through to Sammy for an easy pick up.

Anyone who votes no, simply because they've never seen him, should retract their vote IMO. Abstain by all means.

Shameless Bump, but I would urge people to read the comments and decide that Paul Clark is deserving of his place in the Hall of Fame. Someone who gave his all for the Southend cause and one of the most committed players Ive seen.

Another shameless bump. ;)

shameless_frank_400_400x300.jpg

Shameless bump, even from Crete

Come on guys. The Viking has 87.67% and undoubtedly some have voted no because they never saw him play. It only needs a couple more to swing it.

There must be a couple of old gits, who are nearly 35 like me, that can remember the man wonder! If not I'm going to register my 2 dogs and get them to vote! How Lex will manage the keyboard I've not yet worked out but it'll happen.

Homer (though to be fair Lex has more chance of mastering the internet). Beer Monster. GNH. Scriv even (yes I would stoop that low!). Have you cast your votes yet?

Last edited:
Come on guys. The Viking has 87.67% and undoubtedly some have voted no because they never saw him play. It only needs a couple more to swing it.

Sadly it needs another 16 votes to push the percentage over the magic 90%

16 more votes would give 81 out of a total of 90 cast which is exactly 90% (unless the rules state over 90% in which case we would need another 17 votes).

And that assumes that no one else votes against. One more No vote would push the number of Yes votes needed up to 90 - 90 for, 10 against, total Yes votes 90/100 = 90%.

I'm starting to think that perhaps the bar has been set slightly high - I would have thought that 85% in favour was a resounding enough endorsement for the HoF, and I'm sure Alan Moody and Paul Clark would agree.

Back