• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Paul Clark one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sadly it needs another 16 votes to push the percentage over the magic 90%

16 more votes would give 81 out of a total of 90 cast which is exactly 90% (unless the rules state over 90% in which case we would need another 17 votes).

And that assumes that no one else votes against. One more No vote would push the number of Yes votes needed up to 90 - 90 for, 10 against, total Yes votes 90/100 = 90%.

I'm starting to think that perhaps the bar has been set slightly high - I would have thought that 85% in favour was a resounding enough endorsement for the HoF, and I'm sure Alan Moody and Paul Clark would agree.

While you're at it Tom could you explain Duckworth Lewis please.:offtopic:

Hope my vote helps. 3rd behind McDonut and Maher on my personal list and a real no-brainer for HOF. Anyone voting no has no understanding of the game.

Agree with you on Clark but I would suggest that anyone who has McDonut and Maher in their top 3 doesn't have much understanding. Dont get me wrong I was a big fan of Kev and I'm still baffled as to why we let him go but he wasn't that great.
McDonut was just plain useless and finally getting rid of him was one of the best things the club ever did.

Sadly it needs another 16 votes to push the percentage over the magic 90%

Mmmm. Now creative accountancy is my strong-point, but don't tell HMRC. However when I posted that I was in a bar in Crete without my laptop so I stand corrected.

Unfortunately the Viking will be rejected from HoF probably because a couple of people who never saw him have voted NO. Shame really as had a couple of those abstained he'd have 70 out of 77 & hey presto 90.9091%. Think that's what the Ouzo & Raki was telling me about a couple of people's votes, but my thought processes might not have been crystal clear

The Viking is worth his place undoubtedly for his entire career with Southend and anyone who saw the game against Wolves will understand why. The hugely vaunted Steve Bull came down with Wolves expecting to roll us over. Enter the Viking who "early doors" firmly but fairly (well perhaps not) crunched a tackle in which sent Bully flying up in the air so high that Southend Airport was closed for days as they looked for the UFO. Don't think he touched it after that!

An excellent description and I'm surprised it's taken until page 3 to come up. Our version of Bobby Moore's tackle on Pele in the '70 World Cup - not as elegant but far more enjoyable!

Another memory was from a game in the late '80s at home to Mansfield. Running the ball out of play he couldn't stop before the advertising hoardings so jumped over in to the North Bank where he promptly grabbed a scarf off a startled fan next to him and proceeded to hold it above his head.

A definite hall of famer - always put SUFC first to his own detriment.

Bit of an issue this voting against because they haven't seen them. For anyone who actually saw him, Paul is an absolute shoe in but unfortunately, with not enough people voting we could struggle to meet the required numbers.

Bit of an issue this voting against because they haven't seen them. For anyone who actually saw him, Paul is an absolute shoe in but unfortunately, with not enough people voting we could struggle to meet the required numbers.

A bit of canvassing might do the job, Kay. See who out of your friends hasn't yet voted and drop them a PM. Only another 10 votes now.

Paul Clarke for me oppitomisses a British centre half (half back), 100% commitment, heart on his sleeve and hard as nails!

Don't think there's enough time for me to wax lyrical- but a fantastic servant as player and manager. Did so well to pick up the pieces from Webby's sudden departure & get us promoted in '87. Brought David Crown to the club, Peter Butler... could go on but not enough time if there's a rapidly approaching deadline, I believe?

THAT tackle on Bull- oh yes! Bull was hard, but was quite contrite that night! Also remember Clarkey upsetting Bobby Barnes of Aldershot (ex West Ham) the season we stayed up & they went down (87-88, 'The Great Escape,' the Echo called it) by some ferocious tackling. Happy days!!

Shrimpero is wrong shock!

THAT tackle on Bull- oh yes! Bull was hard, but was quite contrite that night! Also remember Clarkey upsetting Bobby Barnes of Aldershot (ex West Ham) the season we stayed up & they went down (87-88, 'The Great Escape,' the Echo called it) by some ferocious tackling. Happy days!!

Stop press! Bobby Barnes 'discussions' occurred on April 18, '87 (IIRC)- at Roots Hall, think we won 2-0 with Cadette scoring, nice sunny day & went for a walk on the pier afterwards. Aldershot came up in the play offs (beating Wolves on the way), we bagged 3rd spot at Stockport... Clarkey was player-manager for the first time from about March that season...

Don't think there's enough time for me to wax lyrical- but a fantastic servant as player and manager. Did so well to pick up the pieces from Webby's sudden departure & get us promoted in '87. Brought David Crown to the club, Peter Butler... could go on but not enough time if there's a rapidly approaching deadline, I believe?

Technically the vote is open until 5th May, but even if time was up, I'd encourage you to wax lyrical. The whole idea of the Hall of Fame is to celebrate our past and indulge in some nostalgia. The more stories the better IMHO.

I did see him play alongside Westley and others around that era, and to me certainly not a legend as a player.
As a manager he did ok but better than Messers Smith , Rowley, Webb, Tilson etc?
Paul was a good club servant, but in my eyes no more or less than that.

Back