• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Paul Clark one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
*bump*

For anyone not yet voted, please read thru' YB's profile of this man. And for anyone who has voted "no" on the basis they never saw him play, please reconsider, I mean, it's not quite on the same level but did any of you ever see Stanley Matthews play, yet there's no doubting he's a legend! Complete travesty if he's not elected.

Last edited:
Will be a real shame if he isn't elected because of a few idiots who voted no because they hadn't seen him play. Maybe Yorkshire blue needs to change the voting requirements in the future to reflect that there will always be a few isots who voted no no matter what.

Will be a real shame if he isn't elected because of a few idiots who voted no because they hadn't seen him play. Maybe Yorkshire blue needs to change the voting requirements in the future to reflect that there will always be a few isots who voted no no matter what.

While I agree that it'll be a shame if he doesn't make it in this vote, I also don't see the point in calling people idiots. Although I would prefer those that have voted no to put thir point across as callan & TB have, although I firmly disagree with them. I think the voting criteria is about right, and you can't stop people from having an opinion that may be diametrically opposed to yours.

Having said that VOTE CLARK, and for that matter Dave Smith.

Paul Clark was my boyhood hero, the perfect role model. The hall of fame for sure.

Technically the vote is open until 5th May, but even if time was up, I'd encourage you to wax lyrical. The whole idea of the Hall of Fame is to celebrate our past and indulge in some nostalgia. The more stories the better IMHO.

Don't know if I've got any stories to share here, YB- was just a bit worried that there was a deadline of 9pm that night due to stuff I'd seen just earlier about Clarkey having run out of time to get in the HOF. All I can add is that the man's spirit shone through- I never saw him shirk any responsibility and he was a galvanising influence on the pitch for the other players. He played himself in a midfield anchor role for the crucial last game v Blackpool in May '88, which was an inspired decision as it enabled Peter Butler to get further forward. Who scored the crucial opening goal after 25 mins. that day- yes, Peter Butler! That game was indeed the culmination of 'The Great Escape'- 5 wins in the last 7 games, IIRC. He had taken over from David Webb, who left suddenly the previous season, to steer us to promotion as player-manager, then saved us after the horrific opening sequence of defeats (including an 8-1 defeat at Gillingham and a 6-2 defeat at Notts County in successive weeks) inflicted on us by Dick Bate - the man who brought us Chris Ramsey and Richard Young - which put us in the relegation zone very early on in '87-'88. The guy is a true Southend legend- one who would die for the cause when all seemed lost.

So, my message to any waverers is- "DON'T BE A NARK, VOTE CLARK!"

Last edited:
Come on people, a few more hours left on this one - if you haven't voted already please do, he's only a couple of votes short of what's required.

please-please-boy-sad-smiley-emoticon-000383-large.gif

11 votes short I think? Good turn out to get 88 votes in favour!!

Is it 11 votes? Thought he needed 90% of the vote, my maths is crap, but I thought it would only be a few votes he's missing.

Is it 11 votes? Thought he needed 90% of the vote, my maths is crap, but I thought it would only be a few votes he's missing.

yeah, he needs 90%, so for every 'no' vote he needs 9 'yes' votes - currently 11 no votes so he needs 99 yes votes.... I think...!

If he doesnt make it this time, he is only one nomination short in the next round of nominees. He was a complete legend to me, but it's fair enough if those who saw him play thought otherwise. Its the ones who had not seen him that perhaps abstaining would have been more appropriate...

yeah, he needs 90%, so for every 'no' vote he needs 9 'yes' votes - currently 11 no votes so he needs 99 yes votes.... I think...!

If he doesnt make it this time, he is only one nomination short in the next round of nominees. He was a complete legend to me, but it's fair enough if those who saw him play thought otherwise. Its the ones who had not seen him that perhaps abstaining would have been more appropriate...

I agree, if he's not in today then I will nominate him again unless someone else does. Absolute cast iron certainty in my book, and am surprised that so many HAVE voted against him.

Back