• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Ricky Otto one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RO definitely in HoF for me. One of the few players who would get you out of your seat, or jumping on the terraces eveery game.

Hugely talented and in a BLue shirt delivered big time. As has been said earlier, a player similar to JCR, but with far more tricks, an end product and a regular goalscorer.

For me Ricky doesn't just get into the HoF, he struts in and decalres his presence!

A fantastic player on his day, thrilling and exciting - the sort of player we all want to see play for our club. However not enough to get into the Hall Of Fame.

What people have to realise is we are talking about the 12 most important people in the clubs 103 year history. As a result I've voted against people who were hero's to me (including Ricky Otto) because they didn't have enough of a positive impact on our club to justify being in such an elite group.

In 25 years of watching southend there have only been 3 players that when they are on the ball, the whole crowd stood up and watched in anticipation as to what they would do next - Collymore, Eastwood and Otto.

The guy was electric, unpredictable, a complete showman. As a kid we all watched players like him and then tried to copy what they did on the school playground. He was one of those players that just did what he did, half the time he'd give the ball away but that was because the rest of the team had no clue as to what he was going to do next and were never in a position to receive the ball back from him. It didn't matter, when he was on the pitch you knew that no matter the result it was going to be money well spent to turn up simply for the enternainment he provided.

His background was a colourful as his football, if ever the word 'mercurial' could be applied to a southend player, it was him. On his day he was quite simply outragious and we loved him for it.

However, a true maverick does not make a true legend. A legend is somebody who in my eyes shaped the history of a club, He will always hold a place dear to my Southend heart though, I doubt we'll ever see the likes of him again.

PS Fantastic write-up YS.

having pondered for a few days..its a No..there are people who were here longer and served the club more than Mr otto, although, I do think he was class and an exciting player...others should be in there for greater merit..

In 30, 40, 50 years time when I'm looking back on the great players I've watched play for Southend over the years though I doubt that there will be 12 players I think of before Ricky Otto. And that, for me, is the very essence of a Hall of Fame player.

In 30, 40, 50 years time when I'm looking back on the great players I've watched play for Southend over the years though I doubt that there will be 12 players I think of before Ricky Otto. And that, for me, is the very essence of a Hall of Fame player.

Possibly right, but in view of the limited number of places left, I went with the view that I couldn't quite put him in there, but he's probably 1st reserve or something!

This is a joke if Ricky Otto doesn't get in the Hall of Fame. True legend and one hell of a player.

This is a joke if Ricky Otto doesn't get in the Hall of Fame. True legend and one hell of a player.

I agree that he was a terrific player, but don't think his contribution to the club was as significant as the others who have thus far gained HoF status.

I agree that he was a terrific player, but don't think his contribution to the club was as significant as the others who have thus far gained HoF status.

Where is the list of players who have gained status so far? Sorry I haven't been online much recently so am a little out of touch.

Where is the list of players who have gained status so far? Sorry I haven't been online much recently so am a little out of touch.

There's been various nominations so far and I think the following have gained entrance.

Oliver Trigg
Frank Gill
Sid Broomfield
Stan Collymore
Billy Best
Ron Pountney
Chris Powell

Voting is still going on for Dave Crown & Ricky Otto, and it doesn't look as if they will get the requisite percentage to qualify. Next up I believe is Alan Moody, I am sure that YB will update you more full than I.

There's been various nominations so far and I think the following have gained entrance.

Oliver Trigg
Frank Gill
Sid Broomfield
Stan Collymore
Billy Best
Ron Pountney
Chris Powell

Voting is still going on for Dave Crown & Ricky Otto, and it doesn't look as if they will get the requisite percentage to qualify. Next up I believe is Alan Moody, I am sure that YB will update you more full than I.

Cheers for that Harry. I still think that Ricky Otto should definatly be in the Hall of Fame as he is still without a doubt one of the most talented players to ever play for Southend United and he was nailing Peter Taylor's daughter (mind you who hasn't? ) ;) and for that reason he should be in it.

It will make the HOF topic a joke if Otto is not "elected". If we can not agree on Otto what chance of agreeing on another 6 forme Southend players!!

Otto at Millwall

Just a coupleof memories of Ricky Otto.. he did play in the "regional" final of the Anglo Italian against Notts County and missed a great chance with a header in extra time (I think - or maybe near the end of 90 mins). We could have been at Wembley!

But the best memory is when Fry's team went to the first ever league game at the New Den and he scored in the 4-1 victory. I remember him raising his hand aloft and running towards the stand at the end away from the Blues' fans. He very quickly realised the Millwall fans were not that impressed by his goal, dreadlocks or celebration. He turned his eyes to the grouns, dropped his hand and modestly trooped back top the centre circle.

But we did win with more goals from a pineapple and Mooney I think.

As for Hall of Fame. Whenever he got the ball you sensed something might happen - but you could say that about Woodley and MacKinven.

As far as I am concerned they all worth a place, except maybe Owen Simpson.

Sorry to take this slightly off-topic, (and if this has been asked aalready then I apologise in advance) but readong the legends posts, does Steve Tilson AS A PLAYER qualify? If he does, he'd get my vote.

Either way, These are my favourite things to read on here. Brings back so many mrmories.

loved him with a passion and some of his skill was awsome to watch no doubt, but not here long enough and the lack of promotions etc mean its a no for me, the likes of ansah angell, gower, crown, tilly, butler, would get in ahead of him

Back