• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Ron Pountney one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Up for the second time is Ronnie Pountney

The first individual to be nominated 6 times, this still wasn't enough to make him a first ballot hall of famer, as his vote seemed to have got lost in the Christmas period.

The idea that Pountney didn't make it was met by incredulity from those who were fortunate enough to see him play.

defiler said:
Ron Poutney isnt in? Surely an oversight?

csboy said:
this hall of fame thing is really stupid if Ron Pountney isn't in it. I suggest Yorkshire Blue looks to change the rules because Ron Pountney should be the 1st name in.

The fact that his vote opened on December 22nd does not appear to have done him any favours, as the thread attracted a fifth of the views Stan's nomination attracted and just 23 votes were cast. Perhaps more revealingly, all but one vote cast were for Pountney to be included.

Maybe it reflects more the readership of SZ and few posters will have been watching a quarter of a century ago, let alone the 34 years ago when he first signed. But the Hall of Fame is meant to celebrate the club's history and third on the all-time appearance list, a winner of the club's first ever major title and a record three times player of the season, Ronnie Pountney may be little in size, but he's played a huge part in the club's history.

Here's what I wrote last time:

There are many ways to measure greatness: appearances, medals, honours, popularity. Well Ron Pountney sits third in the all-time appearance list, was an integral part of the club's first major title (Division 4, 1980-81) and won the player of the year award a record three times.

Ronnie Pountney's decade at Roots Hall ended when I was still a Junior Shrimper trying to convince my father I was old enough to accompany him to the football on a Saturday afternoon, so I never got to see him play. What I did however get to see, was the high regard that those who did see him play held him in. This was never better illustrated than the group of fans (some of whom will be reading this now) who campaigned for and organised his testimonial, some 14 years after it had been cancelled by the evil Wet Sham because of fixture congestion. To me that says more about Ron Pountney than his 401 appearances for the club, for all his player of the year awards, or for being one of just 29 individuals honoured by being awarded a testimonial by the club.

But it is easy to imagine why he was held in such high esteem. Southend United have 2 trophies in their cabinet, they also have 2 famous cup exploits. Whilst the League One title in 2005/06 and the legendary League Cup win over Man U is still fresh in many of our minds, up and until then the greatest achievements in the club's history were the Division 4 title in 1980/81 and holding European Champions Liverpool, to a draw at a snowy Roots Hall in 1979. Both involved Ron Pountney, who played all but two games in the title winning season and who'd earlier been amongst the the Southend heroes who'd held the Liverpool side packed full of future pundits and failed managers.

Some might say Dave Smith was the man who represents that era more than anyone, but it is difficult to argue that a man who won player of the season award three times when only one other player (Billy Best) won it more than once, played over 400 times for the club and helped win the club's first trophy doesn't belong in the Southend United Hall of Fame.

From last time:

Old Blue Lady said:
Was fortunate enough to see Ron in his prime at Southend, a midfield dynamo, the like of which Nicky Bailey could only dream of. Quietly and unassumingly grafting or making those drilled passes for the likes of Stuart and Derrick Parker, Peter Silvester and Steve Phillips to tuck away. A gent on and off the pitch and more than worthy of inclusion in the Hall of Fame.

Ron Poutney used to live down my Aunts road (Symons Avenue). Many times I used to chat to him as I cycled past. He was always very friendly.

Oh yeah, he wasn't a bad player either.

The one thing that i remember about Pountney was that he ran his socks off for the cause - he was skilful and nippy - but everyone appreciated his 'never say die' attitude he always seemed to have.

Agree with that, he never gave less than his best for the cause, and it was great that he finally got his well deserved testimonial. Bloody good player and a bloody good bloke.

One of my teenage heros'

What idiot voted no to him being in the HOF? The man is a Southend legend who gave everything whilst playing for Southend. Without doubt the most popular player to ever player for Southend. I shall never forget in the last few games of season 1982-83 when Dave Smith had clearly lost the respect of the players and the players really couldnt care less about playing for Southend Ron Pountney was the exception and still gave everything or the club.
Should be the 1st person in the HOF ahead of even the likes of Eastwood and Collymore.

Proud to have been the first one to put him forward this time, an absolute travesty he didn't make it last. Priviledged to have seen him play many, many times - great player, great commitment and a great servant to the club.

Vote YES!

Never saw him play, but the testimonies he has received on this thread are more than enough for me.

A definite 'yes' for me - Ronnie was still playing for us when I first started going to matches and was my first ever 'favourite player'. I've subsequently met him several times (he was friends with my late father-in-law), and can only assume that any who vote 'no' either never saw him play or met the guy. His playing record speaks for itself and he should probably be in the hall of fame on the basis of that alone - add to that the fact that he is a true gent loved by all who've met him or watched him play and I think the man's an absolute must for the list. He's everything that I'd want a chosen representative of our club to be about...

Totally gets my vote. He lives in my street in Eastwood and still loves the game. Talks about football non stop, misses playing like mad and would be over the moon to see this thread. Top bloke and a great Blues Legend

Top Top bloke, waited 13 years for a testimonial, after 2 fell through and was thoroughy grateful for the money too, (and it was a comparitively small amount compared to the testimnonials reported in the press at the time, especially considering our league position and the general state of the club in 2000)
Ron still brings his son to watch Southend when he can

Ron still brings his son to watch Southend when he can

Is that his son or his grandson? They sat in front of me for a cup game and i had a chuckle when the lad had put Pountney on the back of his new Southend home shirt!
When i think back to the old Dave Smith side Ron is the first player you think of and me being a kid,was my hero! Mr 100%.
I used to wonder,on my milk crate peering over the wall,why someone that looked so old got through twice as much work as the rest of them.
Get Ron in now!!
Along with Tilson,when you think of Southend United you think of Ron Pountney.

Two people actually voted he shouldnt be in the HOF. Would they care to explain why he shouldn't be in because I can't think of one reason why he shouldnt the man is a Southend legend.

I seriously can't believe this, are there honestly that many posters out there who either can't be bothered to vote for this man or simply don't know who he is?

This piece shamelessly "borrowed" from the Trust's Hall of Fame:

RON POUNTNEY ~ 1975-85
pountney.gif
Bilston born and a West Brom fan, Ronnie was named after the legendary Baggies player Ronnie Allen. Hard work, graft, unselfishness and class epitomised the Ron Pountney way of playing. He never gave anything less than 150% and made goals galore for his team-mates. He scored himself too, 26 goals in 349 League appearances and 9 goals in 54 Cup games. A testimonial with West Ham was Ron's reward although regrettably it was cancelled because of West Ham's fixture congestion that season. A group of committed fans finally rearranged the match, and on 1st August 2000, Ron got his testimonial, 14 years later. Ron still lives locally and is a painter and decorator.

oooh I like that post OBL , it says i am a committed fan !!!

Ron was a true pro and a loyal servant to Southend United

A Rival manager who later became the England manager was reputed to have tried to sign him on more than one occasion and was a big admirer of him. So much so that he contributed to the Testimonial programme

Thought you'd like it FS! Come on people, I know we're all depressed about the team as it is now so let's remember one of those who strived through bad times and good times over his years a the club - vote Ronnie Pountney in!

No disrespect meant .. but True Blue has voted against Ronny when the only game he would've seen him play was his testimonial !!!!

I move that his vote be removed

Anyone care to second me ??

No disrespect meant .. but True Blue has voted against Ronny when the only game he would've seen him play was his testimonial !!!!

Votes are legitimate, no matter how ill-informed. I think a few people who voted for him, won't have seen him play but have based their vote on what they have read and heard, so it all balances itself out in the end.

As much as I think he is wrong, I can't stop his democratic right to be so.:)

Guy should be publicly flogged at the next home game if I had my way. He clearly wasn't around in the 80's. Any Southend fan who saw him play in the 80's knows what a legend Ron Pountney is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back