• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Sid Broomfield one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Such sad news - Sid is Roots Hall, the old place without him will just seem to be a little empty

I was fortunate enough to meet Sid when he came along to meet Alan Moody at the Argyle match in Sept 2017 - Alan was so chuffed that Sid had made the effort to come along and say hello

Only two weeks ago I contacted the club asking if SUEPA could contact Sid to see if he would agree to become a SUEPA member - I learned that he had gone in to a home and was waiting to hear further news, and now regretably we will not get the chance to get in touch again. I'm sure that all of the ex players coming along to 'Smith's Army' day on 30 March will be sad to learn of this loss and certainly a glass or two will be raised in his honour.

RIP Sid

DSC_2076.JPG

Only two weeks ago I contacted the club asking if SUEPA could contact Sid to see if he would agree to become a SUEPA member - I learned that he had gone in to a home and was waiting to hear further news, and now regretably we will not get the chance to get in touch again. I'm sure that all of the ex players coming along to 'Smith's Army' day on 30 March will be sad to learn of this loss and certainly a glass or two will be raised in his honour.

Could SUEPA award Sid a posthumous membership?

I am sure everyone would agree it would be a fitting tribute.

Sid Broomfield.png
Sid Broomfield RIP the man who built Roots Hall with his team of helpers and his bare hands.

Roots Hall 1954.jpg
Looking out across Roots Hall rubbish dump before work started

Roots Hall1.jpg
Surveying Roots Hall before building work started

Roots Hall2.jpg
Surveying Roots Hall before building work started

The club's historic Roots Hall ground, which was paid for in the 1950s entirely by supporters and built by their legendary groundsman, Sid Broomfield - plus what Broomfield calls "a small group of hardworking blokes."

Roots Hall  West Sidw.jpg
Roots Hall is a footballing monument, financed by a then considerable £74,000 raised in the 50s by Southend's supporters' club. Sid Broomfield, was working on the farm belonging to Southend's chairman, Alderman H H Smith. "He came up to me one day, and he said Sid: 'I've got a little job for you'."

Roots Hall Construction 1955.png
The job was to transform, single-handedly at first, a huge, stinking rubbish dump into a football ground. Broomfield dug out 30 feet of sand, finding such things as cookers, bike frames and mattresses underneath. He names the few men who mucked in: "My brother Ken, brother in law Arthur, Peter Starkey, Henry Turnage, Ernie Bibby and his mate Fred, Chango Wayland ... Just a few men with heart."

SOUTHEND-UNITED-v-Norwich-City-20th-August-1955.jpg
First Game at the New Roots Hall was against Norwich City on the 20th August 1955.

Large.jpg
First game at the New Roots Hall was against Norwich City on the 20th August 1955. Southend won the match 3-1 with McCrory, Hollis, and Dowsett scoring for the Shrimpers with 17,700 supporters in attendance.

Manchester-City-1956.jpg
Adding underground drainage to the pitch prior to the FA Cup 4th Round game with Manchester City on the 28th Jan 1956 in front of 29,500, Southend United lost 0-1.

South Bank Roots Hall.png
The new South Bank with it's 72 steps

Untitled.png
Southend United's team training on the new South Bank

Southend's players were paid 3s 6d an hour in the close season to work on the ground, marshalled by the goalkeeper, Harry Threadgold. The stadium finally opened in 1955, but it took Broomfield until 1962 to lay, block by concrete block, the 72-step South Bank terrace. "It was hard work," he says. "But I did enjoy it. The club was friendly, like a family. The supporters deserve great credit for financing it."

North Bank Roots Hall.png
The North Bank

West stand Roots Hall.png
The West Stand

Roots Hall Early Main Stand.jpg
The Main Stand before it was extended the full length of pitch

Main Stand Roots Hall.png
The Main Stand after it was extended the full length of pitch

996820_10201245240150553_1393521634_n.jpg
View from the top of the South Bank before the South Bank was finished and North Bank was extended to full width of pitch, and Main Stand extended to length of pitch.

CT7w_uWXAAARh8M.jpg
American Football at Roots Hall

They played American Football at RH?

Yes they were called Southend Sabres, but are now known as East Essex Sabres.

Rick Waters who formed them in 1984 and were part of the Budweiser League. Rick says, “I remember one of my greatest moments was playing three games at Roots Hall in front of nearly 3,000 spectators and winning our first game against the Reading Renegades on the 27-04-1986 Budweiser League Division 1.

“I also remember being M.V.P for that game (I think they felt sorry for me)” Today Rick Waters can be found strolling the sidelines as the East Essex Sabres Strength & Conditioning Coach.

Final score Southend Sabres 20 Vs 12 Reading Renegades”.

https://www.east-essex-sabres.co.uk/our-history/

Wonderful pictures documenting the early days.
RIP Sid.

Last edited:
RIP Sid, my grandad was one of those who helped a bit with the build. Frank Gill, Frank Walton, Sid Broomfield.....three legends of SUFC reunited again - maybe they can get some celestial planning in place for Fossetts?!

Be nice to name a stand after him, if ever we get to New promised Land and also Kevin Mahers well deserved testimonial

Great pictures, but so evident that we need a new home. It would be good if we could remember him in some way? Broomfield Way has a ring to it?

RIP Sid,
was at that Chelsea game,spoilt by some Chelsea scum.After the game they also had a disco in the Shrimpers which i went to as well.
Great photos of RH,still the best stadium in the UK

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell has paid tribute to Sid Broomfield, the man who helped to build Roots Hall.

More...

An obituary for Sid is in the Southend standard. It says a funeral service will take plat on 14th March at St.Laurence followed by commital at Hall Road Cemetery. All who knew Sid are welcome, family flowers only but donations in Sid's name to cancer research welcome c/o Stibbards and Sons, 4 Commonhall Lane, Hadleigh, SS7 2RN

Back