• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Sid Broomfield one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
When I suggested we should have on SZ a Hall of Fame to recognise the true legends of Southend United, I wanted us to recognised those individuals who helped build the club. In Sid Broomfield's case he did this literally.

Sid Broomfield might not be the most famous name in Southend United's history but maybe he should be. As tractor driver/groundsman from 1953 until 1990, few, if any can challenge him on longevity. The criteria I suggested said that longevity alone should not be sufficient to gain entrance, instead it should be limited to those who made a substantial impact, displayed greatness and left a legacy. Well it is difficult to think of anyone who left a greater legacy than the man who built Roots Hall.

In early 1953 Chairman Alderman Smith called Broomfield and told him he had a "little job" for him. That job was building Roots Hall. Southend United had been founded just over the road (in the Blue Boar in 1906) and had played there until the Great War had put a stop to the Southern League and the lease had had to be auctioned off in 1916.

Thirty-seven years later and thirty-six feet lower (sand had been quarried to feed the inter-war housing boom), Sid Broomfield found himself pegging out a pitch 110 yards by 74 yards, a yard wider but running in the same direction as the pitch SUFC had originally played on. His first task was using his bulldozer to remove the old cookers, pipes and other rubbish left by the Gas Light & Coke Company and to level out the pitch. Terrace banks were then created by Broomfield and a team of a handful of men using just picks and shovels.

By May 1953, it was beginning to resemble a ground, workmen helped by players and supporters began to make the thousands of concrete blocks - with the help of local businessmen who gave materials and credit. By June 1955 the ground was finally playable, although it took Sid and his workers another five years to complete, and on his retirement Sid in 1990 admitted "We've never really finished".

At first the pitch was poor - the cup game against Man City, when the great Bert Trautman performed heroics in probably his finest ever performance, was described as a "ghastly Paschendale of a pitch", possibly not the most tactful description when the star man was a former German paratrooper! However the pitch was dug up and more cockleshells laid down to aid drainage and the pitch soon become highly thought of and was even described as the seaside Wembley, or the Wembley of the lower divisions.

The Roots Hall we all know now, is somewhat different to the Roots Hall under Sid Broomfield. He retired in 1990, just after the epic South Bank kop, which accounted for half the ground's capacity was sold off for more than 300 flats. There was no South Bank double tier stand and the ground was largely terracing rather than the all-seater we are forced to endure. But seats aside, the North Bank, the East and West stand are largely as they were back in Sid's day.

Roots Hall wasn't just built by Sid Broomfield, it was built with the help of the fans and even players, but no-one individual was more closely associated with the construction of it.

Ladies and gentleman, is Sid Broomfield worthy of being the second name in the SZ Hall of Fame as one of the top dozen individuals in Southend's history?

Thinking outside the box for non playing legends, then Sid Broomfield should absolutely be in there.

Please explain yourself Stevie G G G???

I'd encourage people to be selective when deciding who to go in, just because someone doesn't vote for someone doesn't mean they don't appreciate what they did for the club. I'm setting a very high standard of entry for the Hall of Fame.

Remember nobody has ever been voted in unanimously to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Even players like Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Stan Musial, Willie Mays and Tom Seaver didn't get 100%.

I'd be interested to hear why Stevie G G G hasn't voted, but he shouldn't be hounded for his reasons if he gives them.

Without a doubt. Ashamed to say I didn't know that much about him until YB's prose.

Without a doubt. Ashamed to say I didn't know that much about him until YB's prose.

As I forgot to reference Peter Miles and David Goody's excellent history of Southend United where I got most of my information, here is probably a good time to do so.....

To be honest, i knew nothing about him and didn't read YB's post until after i voted. My bad!! Lesson learned - Would like to change my vote after reading it!!!

I'd encourage people to be selective when deciding who to go in, just because someone doesn't vote for someone doesn't mean they don't appreciate what they did for the club. I'm setting a very high standard of entry for the Hall of Fame.

Remember nobody has ever been voted in unanimously to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Even players like Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Stan Musial, Willie Mays and Tom Seaver didn't get 100%.

I'd be interested to hear why Stevie G G G hasn't voted, but he shouldn't be hounded for his reasons if he gives them.

An excellent point YB, we want to maintain an exceptionally high standard for our Hall of Fame.

I started supporting the Blues a couple of years after Sid Broomfield parted company with us, so i hadn't heard of him until the recent centenary books came out. The man that built our beloved home should definately be in there though, so a yes from me. My vote isn't just for Mr Broomfield though, but for everyone else who helped to build Roots Hall, here's to you all :clap:

Very sad news indeed. Here's a little bit about the story of Roots Hall and Sid.

Roots Hall is a footballing monument, financed by a then considerable £74,000 raised in the 50s by Southend's supporters' club.
Sid Broomfield was working on the farm belonging to Southend's chairman, Alderman H H Smith. "He came up to me one day, and he said Sid: 'I've got a little job for you'."

The job was to transform, single-handedly at first, a huge, stinking rubbish dump into a football ground. Broomfield dug out 30 feet of sand, finding such things as cookers, bike frames and mattresses underneath. He names the few men who mucked in: "My brother Ken, brother in law Arthur, Peter Starkey, Henry Turnage, Ernie Bibby and his mate Fred, Chango Wayland ... Just a few men with heart."

Southend's players were paid 3s 6d an hour in the close season to work on the ground, marshalled by the goalkeeper, Harry Threadgold. The stadium finally opened in 1955, but it took Broomfield until 1962 to lay, block by concrete block, the 72-step South Bank terrace. "It was hard work," he says. "But I did enjoy it. The club was friendly, like a family. The supporters deserve great credit for financing it."

I can see Sid sitting at his turnstile next to St. Peter at the entrance to heaven. Sign above St. Peter says 'Christians this way to Heaven'. Sign above Sid says 'through here to Blue Heaven'.

My Dad helped build Roots Hall with Sid. I worked at the ground with Sid too and so did many members of my family. When I was out of work as a teenager and couldn't afford the ticket for a match, Sid would let me jump over his turnstile when no one was looking and I'd get in for nothing.

Sid, you shone a loving light over our club for decades, and your memory will live long in my family.

Last edited:
RIP Sid, thanks for building the home of football that has brought me so much happiness over the years. :Sorry:

RIP Sid

I am sure I speak for every Southend United fan to thank you for all your hard work over the years to bring us fans our home at Roots Hall.

C2yvUJDWgAA4-tk.jpg

I get a warm retro thrill standing on that last bit of terrace at the foot of the South Stand.
One man and his helpers building a football stadium?
Tottenham should take note bearing in mind the epic that's the new White Hart Lane.

Back