• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Spencer Prior one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it just adds to the argument that Spinner (in many peoples eyes) was the better footballer, it's you who brought Clark into the mix with this vote

Because I felt it was completely relevant, and as far as I'm aware I've justified my vote completely. People are free to make up their own minds but all I'm saying is that I don't think Spinner is worthy yet of that accolade "one of the 12 greatest".

Local lad and four promotions in his career....Think I have only seen six or seven as a 27 year supporter.....My god of course....

Because I felt it was completely relevant, and as far as I'm aware I've justified my vote completely. People are free to make up their own minds but all I'm saying is that I don't think Spinner is worthy yet of that accolade "one of the 12 greatest".

I think OBL's voting rationale is far more valid than that which prevented Paul Clark getting into the HoF twice. OBL has at least explained why she's voted No; most of those voting against Clark's admission never even gave a reason.

Only ever saw the old, slow Spinner so for me I shant vote, but he has a good case.

... and for those who did give a reason, but stated that Clark wasn't a legend because they'd never seen him play, here Fred shows how to abstain.

I've voted for Spinner btw. He was a legend in my eyes regardless of what people think of any other player.

Am I missing something here. Surely it's up to each individual to vote how they want to. Personally, I wouldn't vote against one play because another player I liked didn't get picked. That's democracy for you, and as someone once said, it may not be the best system but it's better than the alternatives.

If you think Prior is worthy of a place in the hall of fame, then vote yes. If not, vote no.

Spinner qualifies on every point.

Longevity: 245 apps, returned to his hometown club
Acheivements at RH: 4 promotions, 2 in each spell.
Acheivements away from RH: League cup winner with Leicester, part of Norwich's famous UEFA cup run, promotion winner with Man City.
Impact: Superb defender, the promotions speak for themselves.

Spencer played at the highest level, and was the best defender I have ever seen in a blue shirt and there should be no doubt that he belongs in the HoF. He belongs there on his own merit nobody else's.

Spinner qualifies on every point.

Longevity: 245 apps, returned to his hometown club
Acheivements at RH: 4 promotions, 2 in each spell.
Acheivements away from RH: League cup winner with Leicester, part of Norwich's famous UEFA cup run, promotion winner with Man City.
Impact: Superb defender, the promotions speak for themselves.

Spencer played at the highest level, and was the best defender I have ever seen in a blue shirt and there should be no doubt that he belongs in the HoF. He belongs there on his own merit nobody else's.

Spinner is a clear yes for me...but greatest defender, Id have to qualify that as limited to centre backs, as Chris Powell was, in my opinion, on a different level to even the best of the rest....

So for the next game, away at Priestfield, Spinner and another local boy - this time from Wickford via Witham Town (his name escapes me)

;)

I'll have to read OBL's posts explaining "no" in due course, since they will no doubt dumbfound me.

Spinner is the greatest centre-half this club has ever produced - and then came back to help us win the greatest prize our club has ever won: the League One Championship.

His inclusion in the HoF is, for me, the mother of all no-brainers: it is, unreservedly, a YES vote from me.

Matt

Spinner is a clear yes for me...but greatest defender, Id have to qualify that as limited to centre backs, as Chris Powell was, in my opinion, on a different level to even the best of the rest....

CB is what I meant yes.

Qualifies to be included on every criteria. Quite simply the best centre half that I have seen in my 24 years.
Quite what Paul Clark has got to do with this nomination I dont know. For whats its worth, as legendary as Clark is, Prior was a far superior player who combined Aerial dominance with pace which Clark did not have.

YB, I know I'm being pedantic but I think that the great man did in fact score against Aldershot didn't he?

Qualifies to be included on every criteria. Quite simply the best centre half that I have seen in my 24 years.
Quite what Paul Clark has got to do with this nomination I dont know. For whats its worth, as legendary as Clark is, Prior was a far superior player who combined Aerial dominance with pace which Clark did not have.

YB, I know I'm being pedantic but I think that the great man did in fact score against Aldershot didn't he?

Oops. Mea culpa.

Spinner did indeed score. The case for his inclusion grows ever stronger!

nail. on. head

This isn't about whether Paul Clark should be in, it is whether Spencer Prior should be in.

I only ever saw the "old" Spencer Prior, but in those years, at the end of his career, he was brilliant. Prior is a definate yes for me.

The muffled sounds coming from Spencer Prior's pocket tells me that Wayne Rooney thinks Spinner should be in the HoF.

A very good player indeed but not one that I'd wax lyrical about to a non-Southend fan, which is my own take on the 'Hall of Fame' criteria.

How's the HOF shaping up now ?

I had a look at this very recently:

Currently in are (in order of admission):
Chris Powell with 100% of the vote and a poll of 66 votes in favour
Sid Bloomfield with a 97.73% of the vote, polling 43 to 1
Stanley Collymore with 94.44% of the vote, 102 to 6
Ron Pountney, at the 2nd attempt, with 91.07% and 51 to 5 (only 22 votes in favour on 1st poll)
Oliver Trigg with 100% of the vote, polling 47 votes
Frank Gill with 94.29% and 33 to 2
Billy Best with 97.78% and 44 to 1
David Webb with 98.44% and 63 to 1
Alan Moody with 98.31% and 58 to 1

Those that haven't made it are:
David Crown, 51.61%, 32 to 30
Ricky Otto, 51.61%, 48 to 45
Paul Sansome, 78%, 39 to 11
Dave Smith, 89.74%, 35 to 4
and of course, from just this week, Paul Clark, 89.69%, 87 to 10.

Last edited:
Back