• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Stan Collymore one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stan the Man...Wow. what a 3/4 of a season that was...my most memorable. What a player!!!

When he got the ball, as said earlier, everyone stood up, they expected something, and 9 times out of 10 he produced. Remember his 2 goal blast at Huddersfield in the F.A Cup. Standing behind the goal up at Huddersfield in their old stadium, Stan picked up the ball 10 yards in his own half, ran round 4 or 5 players and unleashed an unstoppable shot into the back of the net.....fantastic.

You know what also makes him a legend...he was supposed to be this awkward to deal with player, but, with his sister very ill, he made sure he trained every day before shooting off to see her, even tho he was offered the chance not to train...

Sir Stan of Collymore is a legend in my eyes, and I know many many Southend fans will echo my sentiments!!

So Ron Pountney who clocked up 403 games for Southend, scoring 35 goals, and was named Player of the Season a record three times does not get in but Stan does...:unsure:

I know what you mean John, others such as Billy Best & Alan Moody haven't made it yet.

However I have voted for Stan to go in, firstly because he is easily one of the most naturally talented players to where the Southend blue. But there is also another reason, the money we got for Stan went towards building a team that under Fry may well have got us into the play offs that season if Fry hadn't jumped ship.

Nope I don't think he should be in ..great for the short period he was here but not a legend IMO

John are you on crack? Stan the Man is every bit the legend for what he achieved in 33 games. Some legends dont do as much in there life times!!!

Got to be honest, I hadn't realised Pountney hadn't got in, thought I'd missed it over Christmas or something.

For the 35 years I have been a fan Stan is always the one I will associate as being the most naturally gifted footballer this club has ever had. He is without doubt in my mind a legend. Completely understand where Cricko is coming from but I think it just proves what an amazing effect he had on this club for all different reasons in such a short space of time - that is my definition of a legend.

I have not been a fan for as long, but totally agree. The shear excitement felt when he picked the ball up. The crowd had no idea what he would do next (I don't think he did) but we all knew what might happen ........... and often did happen

as for someones commetn on npot fullfilling his potential, fair comment but he did save us from going down, he took forest up, then took them to 3rd in the premiership (I am guessing this is the best for a newly promoted team??), with 2o plus goals , british transfer record , and then a record of one in two whilst at Liverpool. I understand what people say about Freddie, his impact and how long he was with us, but in raw talent he isn't in the same league as Sir Stanley

Unfortunately, I only managed to see Stan play for us a few times but it was the 'out' he gave us, when we were clustered in defence, that gave us valuable points in games which without him we'd have had no chance of picking up. That salvation from relegation in '93 was a great fillip for the following season & helped to keep us at that higher level for a few seasons after... so his influence went beyond those 33 games. The way he accelerated from the halfway line, a sleek Rolls-Royce of a player, was a graceful joy to behold; he always looked like scoring & you knew if we could just keep the opposition out, we'd have a chance if we got it to Stan on a counter-attack. No doubts for me- a Shrimpers legend! And great to hear those Black Country vowels on Talk Sport too...

I was fortunate to witness many of Collymore's matches and he gets a yes vote from me. His goals in FA Cup tie at Huddersfield will forever be in my memory, he was like a tank running through defences and his finishing was class.

It was a pleasure to see Stan wearing a Southend shirt, players like him come along very often.

My favourite Shrimper of all time .. and a thoroughly nice bloke to boot

When he was with us i was involved in the "United on the Road" coaches, and whilst taking bookings for the Sheff Wednesday game in The Far Post bar Stan wandered in and asked if i fancied a game of pool .. i was utterly star struck (despite being 22 at the time) and could barely control my cueing arm from shaking as i played

Luckily he was cack so i still managed to beat him :angel:

After he'd signed for Forest i wrote to him and sent one of those giant Stan The Man posters the club shop produced at the time (anyone remember them ??) he sent a hand written reply thanking me and the Southend fans for the support we gave him, and returned the poster signed and dedicated to me

It was framed and still hangs in my flat to this day

"Ohhhhh Stanley,Stanley,

Stanley,Stanley,Stanley,Stanley Collymore!"

Was one of the reasons why i loved to jump on the bus for a 10-mile trip into Southend on my own (my mates hated footy).He's a legend alright.Because you'll still be talking about him in years to come!

Awesome display of pace,power,shooting,dribbling,control,ah -the guy had it all! Scared of nowt,how he made his name.
He is the greatest Southend legend of all time.Apart from Tilson,i can't think of anyone who i'll be talking about in 15years time when i look back and i'll only be talking about Tilly because of his time as player AND manager obviously.

Ron Poutney isnt in? Surely an oversight?

As for Collymore, my good they were some exciting times in the North bank. Skinning players and scoring some amazing goals.

I have never been more enamoured with football than when I saw Stan play to be honest.

I'm genuinely torn on this one. Stan is without doubt THE most talented footballer I've ever seen in a Blue shirt, yet he was only here for 33 games. In my eyes he IS a legend, but there is a distinction between Legend and Hall of Fame.

The criteria YB set out for a Hall of Famer were longevity, impact, greatness, legacy, honours & career. So I'm going to look at each.

Longevity.
Well definately a fail here, a mere 33 games is certainly not long enough.

Impact.
He virtually singlehandedly pulled us out of the relegation zone with a goal every other game. Massive Impact.

Greatness.
Most talented player I have ever seen play for us, there has never been (in my 17 years of fandom) a greater buzz of excitement around the Hall than when Stan got the ball.

Legacy.
He is the benchmark for all Blues strikers to follow, even Fred didn't match up.

Honours.
None. Saved us from relegation, but you don't get medals for that, even if you deserve one.

Career.
Went on to play for Forest, Liverpool & England. But did he acheive all he could? No. Off field problems always hindered him, he should have got more England caps, he should have won medals. Whenever I hear him on the radio or on tv though i feel that flutter of Southend pride.

Conclusion
I understand the argument against putting him in, the main and only one is longevity, and one which in his unique case can be overlooked. We were honoured to have him.

Stan should be in, but this hall of fame thing is really stupid if Ron Pountney isn't in it. I suggest Yorkshire Blue looks to change the rules because Ron Pountney should be the 1st name in.

My own favourite Stan moment is against Birmingham. Sir Chrissy Powell, who of course has already been voted into the Hall of Fame, was trying to run the ball out by the cornerflag in front of the North Bank and at least prevent a corner. Through the magic of the wiggle he managed to turn his man and instead of letting the ball run out, he played it to Stan who'd come short. Stan must have been almost level with the edge of his own D, his back to goal, but when Stan got the ball people stood up because they expected. Stan turned and ran at Birmingham, he feinted left and powered through the middle, a little touch here and there to wrong foot opponents and he kept going and running until he was 25 yards out. In the end there was no fairy tale ending because he put his shot two yards wide of the post, but the point of this little tale is how many players can get a crowd (and the hairs on the back of my neck) standing when they pick up the ball with their back to goal in their own D? That my friends is special and that is why Stanley is up for the Hall of Fame.

Great post, YB. Just had to comment on this "miss". If it's the one I'm thinking of (I thought it was v Bristol Rovers, but I may be wrong), it has to be the best miss I've ever seen (in terms of would have been the best goal, but not quite went in).

I still remember the time when he picked up the ball on the edge of our area, ran past a couple of players, had about 10 yards to make up on the last defender on the half-way line, but kicked it forward about 30 yards or so and still beat him with time to spare, then dribbled a bit further and for some reason thought he had to shoot from 25 yards still to make the goal extra special when a closer shot might have worked. When the ball went just wide, Roots Hall was on its feet. As he ran back to take up his position for the goal kick, I still have visions of the opposition defence standing virtually motionless with hands on hips, just staring at him as he jogged past thinking, "Who the hell are you and did you really just do that?"

And I saw the Huddersfield goals. That day, SUFC was losing 0-1, but Stanley single-handedly beat Huddersfield. His second goal wasn't special. They were all like that.

Just for being the best player I've ever seen in a blue shirt, Stanley has to be in there. Shame he didn't achieve his potential.

I'm just glad that Webby seemingly talked Ron Martin out of appointing him as manager. He was great as a player due to natural talent but didn't apply himself to maximise his potential, and I don't think would have turned us around like Tilly did. At least Standley not being the manager that took us down to the Conference didn't ruin his reputation as an absolute playing legend.

Stan has to be in. What he (and it has to be said, Barry Fry) did that season in keeping Southend up was a truly un-believable achievement and Stan always talks about his time with us as the time he enjoyed his football the most, saying May is his favourite time of the year as it always brings back memories of being chaired off after the last game of the season at RH, having saved the club from relegation after they had been, let's face it, dead and buried.

Stan did not achieve anywhere near what he should have in the rest of his career for well documented reasons and 3 England caps is scant reward for such a wonderful talent.

He is 100% a SUFC Hall of Famer for me and Ron Poutney, Alan Moody, Billy Best and anybody else who played 3-4 hundred games for the club should be too.

Any nominations for Leon Clarke yet out of interest?

Stan should be in, but this hall of fame thing is really stupid if Ron Pountney isn't in it. I suggest Yorkshire Blue looks to change the rules because Ron Pountney should be the 1st name in.

It isn't the rules that are stupid, it is the fans!

When the nominations are re-opened I hope to see those who nominated him last time nominate him again and this time he gets more than the twenty odd votes he got last time - in contrast Stanley has already attracted over eighty votes.

Stan has to be in. What he (and it has to be said, Barry Fry) did that season in keeping Southend up was a truly un-believable achievement and Stan always talks about his time with us as the time he enjoyed his football the most, saying May is his favourite time of the year as it always brings back memories of being chaired off after the last game of the season at RH, having saved the club from relegation after they had been, let's face it, dead and buried.

Stan did not achieve anywhere near what he should have in the rest of his career for well documented reasons and 3 England caps is scant reward for such a wonderful talent.

He is 100% a SUFC Hall of Famer for me and Ron Poutney, Alan Moody, Billy Best and anybody else who played 3-4 hundred games for the club should be too.

Any nominations for Leon Clarke yet out of interest?

No nominations for Leon Clarke yet - apart from anything else he won't be eligible for another year.

I'm not going to argue against the names you mention because from what I've heard about them they are Hall of Famers, but the Hall of Fame is going to be more exclusive than just allowing in everyone who played for a long time.

I didn't start down at the Hall until 1995 when I was nine so never got to see Stan in the flesh, plenty of video footage though.

But if someone can talk with that passion about him as at the top of this article then he must be a serious contender.

A legend can be a legend for different reasons, Maher, Tilson for their undying loyalty and achievements, while others such as Stan are legends for the years of joy they gave to fans in such a short space of time.

If we see a player of Stan's ability down the Hall ever again I would be thrilled.

Yes from me

I was fortunate to witness many of Collymore's matches and he gets a yes vote from me. His goals in FA Cup tie at Huddersfield will forever be in my memory, he was like a tank running through defences and his finishing was class.

It was a pleasure to see Stan wearing a Southend shirt, players like him come along very often.

I think stan loved his time at our club as well,always says he has fond memories whilst here.

Back