• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Trouble with this is most on here never got to see Sam McCrory, Harry Threadgold or Roy Hollis play. Will Roy Hollis goal scoring record for Southend ever be broken ,i dont think so .
But Les Stubbs, McAlinden and others of that era and before then have been nominated. Some of us also saw them play. My own hero from my earliest years supporting the club was Albert Wakefield but in all honesty I can't place him ahead of Sammy McCrory nor Roy Hollis.

But Les Stubbs, McAlinden and others of that era and before then have been nominated. Some of us also saw them play. My own hero from my earliest years supporting the club was Albert Wakefield but in all honesty I can't place him ahead of Sammy McCrory nor Roy Hollis.
Albert Wakefield- surprised everyone one evening by singing a song in Italian! That clipping is coming up soo

Albert Wakefield- surprised everyone one evening by singing a song in Italian! That clipping is coming up soo
That I've got to see.
Would you also have Roy Hollis singing on a TV profile before our cup match against Man City in 1956 "love and marriage, love and marriage, go together like a hearse and carriage" ? Incidentally there was almost 30,000 at Roots Hall for that match.
Further reflections on the subject of this thread. The 3 inside forwards (as the positions were then known) in that team, of Kevin Baron , Sammy McCrory and Roy Hollis were surely together the best we have ever had. I don't think Roy Hollis would have scored so many without the other's assistance. That's why I nominated Sammy McCrory ahead of Roy Hollis.

That I've got to see.
Would you also have Roy Hollis singing on a TV profile before our cup match against Man City in 1956 "love and marriage, love and marriage, go together like a hearse and carriage" ? Incidentally there was almost 30,000 at Roots Hall for that match.
Further reflections on the subject of this thread. The 3 inside forwards (as the positions were then known) in that team, of Kevin Baron , Sammy McCrory and Roy Hollis were surely together the best we have ever had. I don't think Roy Hollis would have scored so many without the other's assistance. That's why I nominated Sammy McCrory ahead of Roy Hollis.
Alas no video clips

One person who should be on the list is;

Frankie Banks

I’m not sure if he’s considered as ‘ex’ Southend as I believe he still does a lot of work for football in the community and shrimpers trust. The man needs to get an honorary place in the legends list IMHO

Totally agree. Frank first came to the club in the late 1950's and has undertaken virtually every role at Roots since. I'm regularly in touch with Frank re SUEPA stuff and he's constantly doing things for the club/community, all without any pay and probably without much thanks either. He attended the funeral of Bobby Kellard recently, will be at the memorial for Malcolm Slater in Leigh when it's arranged, and told me this eve he's representing the club o a PFA initiative (Derek Spence is doing the same for Blackpool) re helping former players suffering from dementia. He's been helping folk in lockdown with shopping, I could go on, the list is endless.

When I notified Frank that he had been chosen for the clubs Hall of Fame eve (which we sadly had to abort due to lack of ticket sales .... but it will go ahead one day when life gets back to normal in (if I get my way) a different and much less costly format) he was so chuffed at being asked and despite being due to be on hol at that time booked flights for a break in his hol so he could be there

Yep, tho Peter Daley is a top man (it's his birthday today by the way) I change my vote to Frank

Kevin Maher (8) Mad Cyril, Cricko, bigmolt, HudsonNo1, SuperShrimper, Leigh_Seasider, amsemp, The Dirty One
Peter Taylor (1) - Tampa Blue
Jimmy McAlinden (1) - Napster
Les Stubbs (1) - Shrimper in France
John Mckinven (1) - GrumpyBlue
Sandy Anderson (1) - ChrisB
Alf Smirk (1) Tangled up in Blue.
Colin Morris (1) Suffolk Blue
Barry Corr (1) Patch Boomhauer
David Crown (1) Joolz
Ryan Leonard (1) OldBlueLady
Chris Barker (1) cerbera45
Frankie Banks (2) Floval Flyer, Suffolk Shrimper in Dorset

That I've got to see.
Yes it was because you nominated Sam McCrory that i nominated Roy Hollis

Kevin Maher (8) Mad Cyril, Cricko, bigmolt, HudsonNo1, SuperShrimper, Leigh_Seasider, amsemp, The Dirty One
David Crown (1) Joolz
Frankie Banks (3) Floval Flyer, Suffolk Shrimper in Dorset, Shrimper

Yes it was because you nominated Sam McCrory that i nominated Roy Hollis
Great, then we're agreed. Now can someone tell me the correct format to put forward my nomination? I see that neither Roy Hollis nor Sammy McCrory are on the latest list of nominees.

They need 5 nominations so those fortunate enough to have seen them play may need to rally around one candidate rather than spreading their nominations between several candidates.

How would you rank them?

Great, then we're agreed. Now can someone tell me the correct format to put forward my nomination? I see that neither Roy Hollis nor Sammy McCrory are on the latest list of nominees.

Below is the format. You need to add your name to your nomination.

David Crown (1) Joolz
Frankie Banks (3) Floval Flyer, Suffolk Shrimper in Dorset, Shrimper

Totally agree. Frank first came to the club in the late 1950's and has undertaken virtually every role at Roots since. I'm regularly in touch with Frank re SUEPA stuff and he's constantly doing things for the club/community, all without any pay and probably without much thanks either. He attended the funeral of Bobby Kellard recently, will be at the memorial for Malcolm Slater in Leigh when it's arranged, and told me this eve he's representing the club o a PFA initiative (Derek Spence is doing the same for Blackpool) re helping former players suffering from dementia. He's been helping folk in lockdown with shopping, I could go on, the list is endless.

When I notified Frank that he had been chosen for the clubs Hall of Fame eve (which we sadly had to abort due to lack of ticket sales .... but it will go ahead one day when life gets back to normal in (if I get my way) a different and much less costly format) he was so chuffed at being asked and despite being due to be on hol at that time booked flights for a break in his hol so he could be there

Yep, tho Peter Daley is a top man (it's his birthday today by the way) I change my vote to Frank

I'm showing my age here but I can remember seeing Frankie Banks in training at Priory Park along with Ian Mckechnie back in the mid-60's.They were both very nice to a young lad with an autograph book in his hand.

David Crown (1) Joolz
Frankie Banks (4) Floval Flyer, Suffolk Shrimper in Dorset, Shrimper, Westie